No Openings for Overland Track - What on Earth to do?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

No Openings for Overland Track - What on Earth to do?

Postby iguana00 » Fri 31 Oct, 2008 8:28 pm

Hi All --

I'm attending a wedding in Sydney on Dec. 23 and don't expect to be down under again anytime soon, if ever (would certainly like to but sadly can only get away for any length of time infrequently). I was quite excited to do the Overland Track after the wedding but see there are no more 'spots' available. This is rather disappointing. There are a number of outfitters who I assume take care of these things but signing on with them is quite expensive and not what I wanted. I've looked at other hikes on the island and they seem less appealing or too short (or muddy).

What possibility do you suppose there is of begging, borrowing, buying or trading for a pass? I suppose I'll contact the local bushwalking clubs but thought I'd ask here as well.

Any tips appreciated.
iguana00
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: No Openings for Overland Track - What on Earth to do?

Postby walkinTas » Fri 31 Oct, 2008 9:09 pm

Do the next best thing, walk in on the Arms River track (or Lees Paddock track) to Mt. Ossa, Pelion West, and Pelion East and maybe even Mt. Thetis and then either walk out to Cradle Mountain (north) - or walk out to Lake St. Clair (south). You don't need a pass, but you will need to get yourself to Deloraine and arrange a ride into the Meander Valley to the start of the track - and of course arrange your trip back from the end of your walk.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: No Openings for Overland Track - What on Earth to do?

Postby Nuts » Sat 01 Nov, 2008 10:17 pm

Iguana, you say there are 'no' openings, when exactly were you planning on leaving? Do you have few options? There appear to be many openings...or were you expecting between xmas/n.year?

walkintas had some good options and there are many more- if you are more experienced?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Bushwalking Discussion