Burn Injuries while Bushwalking? [split]

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Burn Injuries while Bushwalking? [split]

Postby Fitz » Tue 28 Oct, 2008 9:37 am

On the first aid thing, last year my wife got a bad rope burn on her hand (with a broken finger). We had stuff to deal with it, but a remark the pilot made was as we flew out, "let me guess, burns, I see a lot of those here"
Got me thinking, all that Shellite and Meths being pumped around. Anyone had any misfortune with burns?
Fitz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: What Gear is Essential

Postby Tony » Tue 28 Oct, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi Fitz,

On the first aid thing, last year my wife got a bad rope burn on her hand (with a broken finger). We had stuff to deal with it, but a remark the pilot made was as we flew out, "let me guess, burns, I see a lot of those here"
Got me thinking, all that Shellite and Meths being pumped around. Anyone had any misfortune with burns?

Check these pictures out.

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_S ... trolHazard
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: What Gear is Essential

Postby Fitz » Tue 28 Oct, 2008 12:57 pm

Yes a good article, thanks Tony
I have always carried burn stuff since I saw my first "whoomph", but never met anyone (despite having too much exposure to burns) who sustained them from a stove. Finger crossed.
Fitz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Burn Injuries while Bushwalking? [split]

Postby tasadam » Tue 28 Oct, 2008 9:02 pm

Never had a burn while bushwalking. I like to think I am particularly careful with the stove.
Having seen those photos, I am going to be even more careful.

That's just wrong!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby heplittledoggie » Thu 30 Oct, 2008 7:53 pm

A few years ago walking solo in the Walls I tipped freshly boiled water straight onto my bare foot. I was fortunate to have a small running stream right next to my camp so immediately stuck my foot in it until I couldn't feel it anymore (a good ten minutes). I was very lucky not to have any burns, blisters or any other effects. Makes me cringe to think about walking for hours with a blistering burnt foot packed into a walking boot.

I've always been extremely careful with the stove as well, unfortunately that's why accidents are called accidents I guess!
heplittledoggie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby heplittledoggie » Thu 30 Oct, 2008 8:36 pm

Oh yes, I almost forgot. There was the time (in the Walls again oddly enough) I attempted to burn a leech off my then-girlfriend's neck with a match. To my girlfriend's surprise the match had not quite gone out and I got a little too close with it.

She did end up marrying me though, after the (little) scar had gone, so the moral of the story must be that if you want her to marry you, you should burn her first?

Actually the real moral is to always carry a little salt in your first aid kit for the leeches. And don't let your wife read your forum posts lest she make you tell all your embarrassing stories.
heplittledoggie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby the_camera_poser » Thu 30 Oct, 2008 8:44 pm

I was walking with a group in the states, and there was this older guy with us, who gave me a big lecture about the fallibility of my el cheapo Coleman stove. He had this fancy pump-up design, that would flare up when first lit. He'd been hiking for years, but Karma caught up with him- he started a grass fire with his stove, in the middle of a wilderness area, and had to ferry water from the nearby stream to put it out. Problem was, the dumbass had taken his boots off, so he was running back and forth through burning grass. He got the fire out, but had to be carried (from memory) 7 miles to the road afterwards. Lost a LOT of skin on his feet, bottoms and tops.

I believe the Aussie term for this guy is WANKER.
the_camera_poser

Return to Bushwalking Discussion