Walks suitable for large groups outside of National Parks?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Walks suitable for large groups outside of National Parks?

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 1:43 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for easy walking locations where a large group (say 20 people) could camp and dig a temporary pit toilet without being too disruptive to other people or to the environment?

Obviously this would not be appropriate in a national park or WHA.

(EDIT: Original example idea removed as it was unsuitable, as others reminded me below).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Walks suitable for large groups outside of National Park

Postby tasadam » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 1:48 pm

There is a large aera beside a picnic shelter / toilet on the side of the road as you go into the Walls. You could use that as a base and camp there and do day walks to all sorts of places - Walls, Lakes Bill & Myrtle, Grail Falls, Lees Paddocks, Arm river track....
The toilet is the issue with a destination, otherwise there are many options.

Edit - Here...
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby tastrax » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 4:51 pm

I think that's the Whitewater Reserve
http://www.forestrytas.com.au/visiting/ ... st-reserve

Remember that the rules in Conservation Areas (Lake Douglas) are pretty much the same as National Parks so forest reserves or even a kind farmer might be a better bet.

Does it have to be in the N/NW?
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby tastrekker » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 5:14 pm

G'day Mr Beach,

I know the area around Lake Douglas, Fox, Johnny, Nameless, etc is technically outside the national park. However, as shown by the map in this post, it is part of the World Heritage Area. I suspect our friends at PWS would have a fit at the thought of a 20+ group with pit toilet, etc.

Ironically, I suspect Forestry Tasmania are your friends in this case. They manage their land for 'multiple-use' which means they allow higher impact activities in most forest reserves such as digging toilet pits, large groups, campfires (at certain times of the year of course), trail bikes, 4WDs, mining, etc... (Perhaps I was getting a little synical at the end there!)

More seriously, many of the forest reserves around the place do offer some very high quality camping opportunities in spectacular wilderness areas. Much of the Tarkine is in this category and there are numerous opportunities in that area that would be beyond the reach of the 4WD and trail bike fraternities. Also in the NW, I used to belittle the Dial Range as a bushwalking destination but I've since taken a liking to some of the secluded valleys and their myrtle forests. There are a few spots in there but care needs to be taken to pick which river flats are private property and which ones are ok for camping.

Mt Maurice in the North East could work. The route described by the Abels is a pleasant walk along an old logging road which ends at an old car park on the fringe of a myrtle forrest. A large camp there could be a base for exploration out onto the Maurice High Plains. I'm not too familiar with the NE but I expect there are several other similar forest reserves that could provide such opportunities. Mt Victoria is another place where there is a very large forest reserve.

As TasAdam said, the upper Mersey has a few opportunities. I'm guessing the spot he is talking about is the Mersey White Water Forest reserve between Lakes Rowallan and Parangana. It's right next to the road so it could be a bit dodgy.

The west coast also has some massive forest reserves and regional reserves (e.g. Mt Dundas RR) which could have some bushwalking opportunities. Perhaps the Tyndalls, utilising the 4WD track to Lake Spicer (not sure if this is still being used by 4WDs much any more).

Have fun! Are these early preparations for a BWT 2nd anniversary celebration in March?
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 7:54 pm

tastrax wrote:I think that's the Whitewater Reserve
http://www.forestrytas.com.au/visiting/ ... st-reserve

Remember that the rules in Conservation Areas (Lake Douglas) are pretty much the same as National Parks so forest reserves or even a kind farmer might be a better bet.

OK, thanks for the reminder. :-)

Does it have to be in the N/NW?

Nope, anywhere statewide would do.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 7:56 pm

tastrekker wrote:Are these early preparations for a BWT 2nd anniversary celebration in March?

Maybe. ;-)

You're right about the conservation area though. That was a bit dopey of me to not consider that. In fact I'll remove it from my original post so as to avoid giving people the wrong idea. Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like forestry and such reserves may be the ticket.

Any other suggestions... keep 'em coming.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion