Mixed/Ice climbing

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Mixed/Ice climbing

Postby tim » Tue 02 Sep, 2008 7:43 pm

Gday All.

I was wandering around the web the other day and came across some stuff about mixed climbing in Tassie - apparently there is a consistent mulit-pitch water ice formation near Stacks Bluff.

Is anyone else on these forums intersted in climbing the white stuff? And more importantly, has anyone ever done it in Tassie before?

Cheers
tim
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Mixed/Ice climbing

Postby Damien » Tue 02 Sep, 2008 10:46 pm

Tim,

Can you link to where you found out that info?
I'm interested in Mountaineering / Alpinism but it's one of those activities that you really have to leave the country to find somewhere to do it.
I was unaware of any ice/mixed climbing in Tassie as there isn't that much of it in Australia.
Damien
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New Zealand

Postby mag3000 » Tue 02 Sep, 2008 11:20 pm

mag3000
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby stu » Wed 03 Sep, 2008 7:51 am

One of my good mates is a pretty accomplished alpinist (Garry Philips - see last Rock issue, south face of Mt. Douglas in NZ - first ascent with another mate, Simon Young). He has done ice & mixed climbing at various locations around the world (as well as climbing around grade 33 on rock) - he would be a good contact for you; not sure if he has done any of the mixed routes near Stacks (I think out east of the Denison Crags somewhere?). I would say with our fairly mild winters these days, mixed would be an under statement - you'd probably be dry tooling the whole way! I know someone else who did some routes up there some years ago when the ice was better, not sure about anyone in recent history up that way tho. There are certainly people out there in the Tassie wilds doing this sort of thing to be sure, you wouldn't be the first. Try contacting Garry for more info - (i'll forward his email privately) - I'm sure he won't mind.
Stu.
p.s. thanks Nik, forgot about the 'Spammers'. Cheers.
Last edited by stu on Wed 03 Sep, 2008 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 03 Sep, 2008 8:01 am

stu - might want to check before posting his email address on a public site though (a sure recipe to get lots of spam mail). :)

tim - I've not been involved in this sort of thing myself, but did share Scott Kilvert Hut with a couple of ice climbers once who were climbing some ice chutes on the south/east side of Cradle Mountain which doesn't get much sun at all in winter due to the concave south-east-facing curve at the northern end.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby tim » Wed 03 Sep, 2008 3:05 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. And the link posted earlier at thesarvo was the one I was talking about, I just couldnt remember the address.

But, as it turns out, I am not coming down this month anyways. Apparently I am now going overseas. Too bad, huh?
tim
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion