No toothpaste

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: No toothpaste

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 25 May, 2017 6:37 am

Having read all the comments in this thread, I'll still be taking toothpaste with me on my hikes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby matagi » Thu 25 May, 2017 6:43 am

Have you considered asking a dentist?
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Region: Tasmania

Postby Luke001 » Thu 25 May, 2017 7:36 pm

Effect of Fluoride on prevention of decay in Adults:
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _in_Adults
Luke001
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Orion » Fri 26 May, 2017 8:09 am

matagi wrote:Have you considered asking a dentist?

Which dentist? The vast majority would tell you to use a fluoride toothpaste. A minority would tell you the fluoride concentration is too low to do any good.

Luke001 wrote:Effect of Fluoride on prevention of decay in Adults:
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _in_Adults

It kinda looks like it works but the evidence isn't all that strong. In that review, there was only one study about (self-applied) over the counter fluoride toothpaste. All the other studies had to do with either professionally applied fluoride treatments or fluoridated water. While that single 1988 study showed a positive effect it's not enough by itself. Toothpaste research must not be very sexy.

So the question remains -- if you stop using fluoride paste what happens? You can be your own guinea pig in life.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 26 May, 2017 12:28 pm

I've been that guinea pig.

I stopped using toothpaste for about 10 years after my old dentist told me that toothpaste isn't really necessary, so long as you keep brushing regularly. So I kept brushing, but with just a wet toothbrush - no toothpaste. There were no detrimental effects that I was aware of and that was the only 10 years of my life that I've not had any tooth cavities. It's just one anecdote, so make of it what you will.

I started using toothpaste again around the time I met my wife. I guess I was worried I might have bad breath.

I have never taken toothpaste bushwalking, either before nor after my 10 year experiment. I really don't understand why people would. A toothbrush does the job of cleaning just fine.

My new dentist reckons dental hygiene is affected more by what you eat than by how much you brush. And more by brushing than by toothpaste. According to him, you need to avoid sticky or sugary foods, and brush regularly.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby TerraMer » Sat 27 May, 2017 9:28 am

Thank you everyone for contributing your thoughts, advice and experience to this thread. You have given me food for thought (might need some brain floss).

Son of a Beach, thank you. There is a lot to what your dentist said about "what you eat".

Before going vegan I had increasing problems with my teeth and nothing new since. In fact one of the holes is smaller than it was. I thought that was just my imagination until I read Luke001's comment about remineralisation. It might still be my imagination.

Bad breath, not related to tooth and gum decay probably has a lot to do with what you eat and drink too. The bodies of meat eaters, vegetarians and vegans smell very different. I guess same applies to breath.

I wonder how much our gut flora, if anything, effects our oral health?
thehappywalkblog.wordpress.com
Solo unaccompanied walk around Australia
Sponsored by The Australian Geographic Society
TerraMer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: The Happy Walk
Region: Australia

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 27 May, 2017 10:11 am

Or rather, how our oral health affect the rest of the body. Association with cardiovascular disease has already been confirmed.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby puredingo » Mon 29 May, 2017 12:48 pm

You could pack in an apple for each day of your walk? That'll clean your pegs up and give you little vitamin top up taboot.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rai » Tue 30 May, 2017 12:04 pm

Datun twigs from neem tree are available in Australia, according to this advert from fishpond: https://www.fishpond.com.au/Health/10-C ... 9969291673
I tried them many many years ago in India. They are quite bitter but leave a fresh clean taste in the mouth without the sickly sweetness of commercially available toothpastes and mouthwashes. Depending upon the size of the twig, each twig can be used a number of times. You just need to cut off the small portion where the fibres have separated due to chewing after use.
Rai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion