ADVICE TO NICE GUYS

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

ADVICE TO NICE GUYS

Postby Suz » Tue 03 May, 2016 8:33 am

Can I just ask all the nice guys to NOT stare at women you see while hiking - especially if they are hiking alone.

I had this experience for the first time in the Snowys last week and it was freaky. Woke up at Bradley's and O'briens Hut and then were about 8-10 of us there. Breaking camp, every time I turned around there was this one guy staring at me. I'm not exactly a sight to behold and I don't know what the guy's deal was…but as an advice to all men in the wilderness, PLEASE DO NOT STARE. It doesn't matter if you mean no harm, I cannot tell what your intentions are. Never spoke to the guy but I had spoken to his mtn biking partner and found out we were actually due to camp at O'Keefes hut the same night (I bailed) and that made it even worse. The thought of re-encountering a potential weirdo in the bush who I knew could over power me if he wanted to was not fun.

I'm sure for women with more conventional appeal this happens more often. A stare is like a threat. Please don't do it.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: ADVICE TO NICE GUYS

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 03 May, 2016 9:06 am

I suspect there are psychos out there and these comments won't be read. In my experience, there are guys (uniformly so far) on tracks who cause me alarms too, no different to the occasional one on city streets. Rare, but definitely there. Just have to make sure there's a safe distance and always have an exit/defence strategy.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby stepbystep » Tue 03 May, 2016 11:22 am

Nice guys don't stare, they avert their gaze and blush...
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Tacblades » Wed 04 May, 2016 3:44 am

Well i only camp away from people as much as i can, i love the solitude, so you can tick me off the dodgy list :)
Tacblades
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby Lotsafreshair » Wed 04 May, 2016 11:00 am

stepbystep wrote:Nice guys don't stare, they avert their gaze and blush...

How very Mr Darcy of you! Delightful.
-------------------------------
Blog: lotsafreshair.com
Tips and tricks from an unexpected outdoors chick
Lotsafreshair
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: SES Bush Search & Rescue, Macpac

Postby Xplora » Wed 04 May, 2016 2:06 pm

Eccentric people can be amusing but when in the bush I try to avoid them as escape is difficult. I have spotted some nutters from time to time as well as some really lonely people. You can spot them pretty easy and my partner always says to me not to make eye contact. Maybe this is an invitation to them or a gesture that it is alright to come over and annoy you. I walked into Big Hole on the Barrington Tops once to find a man who wanted to be a guru and have people come to him for advice. I knew from the first moment he was going to be trouble. As I walked down the hill he saw me and quickly sat with his legs crossed then with a long wave of his arm said 'Welcome to Big Hole.' We tried to find another place to camp but could not manage anywhere out of sight. He brought a stick over to our campfire and then proceeded with pseudo biblical talk. I have dealt with the mentally ill first hand many times and this guy was a bit scary at first and I had to work him out before I could find away to ask him to leave (hours later). There is a comment in the Selby Alley hut book, which is nearby, about a man staring at a lone hiker from behind a tree. That would be a bit weird and I suspect the same man. I was always taught it was rude to stare but sometimes I am fascinated with people and it is a habit born of my job. Sorry Suz. I will try to be better. You are right, it is rude to stare but a glance is OK? Mostly I look at shoes anyway so that should not offend. You can tell a lot about a person from their shoes. Maybe the stare was one of admiration. Glad you are safe.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby DanShell » Wed 04 May, 2016 3:26 pm

If your tongue is hanging out and there is a little bit dribble it would be ok though, wouldn't it?? :twisted:
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GBW » Wed 04 May, 2016 4:00 pm

Are you saying Ni to that old woman?

Um...yes.

Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby walk2wineries » Wed 04 May, 2016 5:21 pm

stepbystep wrote:Nice guys don't stare, they avert their gaze and blush...

How sweet. I hope I don't "stare" - occasionally family members have asked what I'm staring at. Usually I replace my glasses and point to a spot a few inches in front of my nose "my focal limit, why?"
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby scroggin » Wed 04 May, 2016 6:31 pm

Because I'm not a 'nice guy' can I stare?

Seriously, I would not like to be a women in that position, it would be quite intimidating. But to ask 'nice guys' not to stare is a bit patronising, as though we don't know that staring at a women by herself or even with a group on a bushwalk is uncalled for.

Don't want to downplay it, and I take your point.
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ADVICE TO NICE GUYS

Postby weeds » Wed 04 May, 2016 6:36 pm

....staring is a bit over the top and would make you 'anybody feel uncomfortable'......although I don't think it's the nice guys you need to be worried about.
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby puredingo » Wed 04 May, 2016 7:41 pm

......And the blind mountain biker would never ride again......
Last edited by puredingo on Wed 04 May, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Suz » Wed 04 May, 2016 8:02 pm

scroggin wrote:Because I'm not a 'nice guy' can I stare?

Seriously, I would not like to be a women in that position, it would be quite intimidating. But to ask 'nice guys' not to stare is a bit patronising, as though we don't know that staring at a women by herself or even with a group on a bushwalk is uncalled for.

Don't want to downplay it, and I take your point.

Well i do not mean to be patronising and i'm sorry it came across that way. Clearly you understand that it's a no no to stare at women who are alone, but I guess as this is my first experience of it, I just don't know whether most men (i.e. the nice non psycho ones) know that it's scary. If it was in a pub or something I wouldn't care, but 'out there', totally different story. Of course i know any psychos will do as they please and deliberately intimidate anyone. Just hope that all the non-threats know to behave non-threateningly and then i don't have to freak out unnecessarily.

Actually surprised to hear that a few of you guys have had unpleasant experiences, it had not occurred to me you'd also be uncomfortable at times.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 04 May, 2016 11:56 pm

I have definitely noticed single women / pairs of women are very reluctant to even say hello when passing on the tracks. I think it's a bit sad really, I only say hello to be friendly ! I hope it's previous experience because I'm pretty sure I don't look like a serial killer.

I feel safer in the wild than in a big city, it's rough for people who feel otherwise. I also would have assumed most of the loonies wouldn't travel too far out from carparks, but I guess I have spotted some odd ones !
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Thu 05 May, 2016 6:44 am

I used to travel and walk a lot on my own when I was single. Our perceptions of people (judgements) are very often unfounded but over the years I have found I have a good knack of sussing someone out without the need for conversation. When I camp near others I do tend to be observant as opposed to staring. Some people walk on their own because they want the solitude and you do not want to disturb that. Others it is because nobody else wants to do what they do so you just have to do it on your own. I am not a club person and would prefer to walk on my own than hook up with someone I did not know. The other group of solo traveller are the ones nobody wants to go with. Traveling around Australia we ran into dozens of solo travellers and surprising enough many of them were of the last kind. Understanding human behaviour and being able to pick up on the signs has served me well. All of this requires observation, not staring. I also found it uncomfortable when I would sit down to a meal in a restaurant on my own and people would stare. Maybe it was just me being a little paranoid or insecure because I was on my own and everyone was hooked up. I guess our perception of what others are doing could be clouded by the circumstance and how we feel. In the bush, if a solo person was doing the staring then I would be concerned but if they had an partner who seemed normal then it would not bother me. How would you feel waking up in your tent and seeing the shadow of a person standing close outside? That has happened to me.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 05 May, 2016 5:12 pm

CasualNerd wrote:I have definitely noticed single women / pairs of women are very reluctant to even say hello when passing on the tracks. I think it's a bit sad really, I only say hello to be friendly ! I hope it's previous experience because I'm pretty sure I don't look like a serial killer.

This is a constant in the lives of most women. Yes, even in a country as supposedly advanced and modern and 'equal' as Australia. There is no way to tell whether any given person (or group of people) is dangerous. Most women learn from childhood that a certain level of distrust is essential, because abuse and assault are always potentially around the next corner. For many of us, the potential has become reality all too often.
It isn't some conflated OTT radical feminist agenda being pushed when women try to point out the dangers of being a woman in this (or any other) country. It's fact.

If you aren't someone who ever has or ever would use any sort of violence against another, fine, don't take it personally. But when a woman says that they live with the fear of potential violence every second of their lives, believe them. And when women point out how certain all too common attitudes in society feed into the sense of entitlement that all too often leads to forms of assault and abuse, listen to them; and speak out when you encounter those attitudes. No matter how hard it is to speak up, just remember, it's harder for us to live with the reality of what those attitudes can cause.

[end of lecture]
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby davidf » Thu 05 May, 2016 7:10 pm

Nnw, great post. I walk solo a lot, have a natural 1000 yard stare and after a while bush it goes further. Male or female I say hello and carry on. Lingerers creep me out too Suz.

Dont let them wreck a good time.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby zac150 » Thu 05 May, 2016 8:47 pm

I generally always hike with friends but will always stop and chat with others.

Aside from being friendly, I find it a great way of getting ideas for future adventures. But more importantly I think it important from a safety perspective, I hate to pass someone and not chat with them and then hear on the news they were lost! A quick chat could have directed people in the right direction.

But to sit and stare, very strange.

I think it one of the basics of hut etiquette to make sure all the people sharing a hut are not uncomfortable.
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby DarrenM » Thu 05 May, 2016 9:37 pm

north-north-west wrote:
This is a constant in the lives of most women. Yes, even in a country as supposedly advanced and modern and 'equal' as Australia. There is no way to tell whether any given person (or group of people) is dangerous. Most women learn from childhood that a certain level of distrust is essential, because abuse and assault are always potentially around the next corner. For many of us, the potential has become reality all too often.
It isn't some conflated OTT radical feminist agenda being pushed when women try to point out the dangers of being a woman in this (or any other) country. It's fact.

If you aren't someone who ever has or ever would use any sort of violence against another, fine, don't take it personally. But when a woman says that they live with the fear of potential violence every second of their lives, believe them. And when women point out how certain all too common attitudes in society feed into the sense of entitlement that all too often leads to forms of assault and abuse, listen to them; and speak out when you encounter those attitudes. No matter how hard it is to speak up, just remember, it's harder for us to live with the reality of what those attitudes can cause.

[end of lecture]
[/quote]

Great post NNW.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 05 May, 2016 10:38 pm

DarrenM wrote:Great post NNW.

Agreed. It's a shame this is the case.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FXST01 » Thu 05 May, 2016 11:37 pm

The binoculars were the give away weren't they?
FXST01
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ribuck » Fri 06 May, 2016 1:06 am

I once unintentionally creeped out a female.

I dumped my pack in a camping cave at dusk, and went to collect firewood, during which time I saw and acknowledged a solo female walking along a nearby track. On returning to my cave I saw that she was setting up camp in the next cave along. I lit my fire and popped my head around the corner to see if she wanted to share the cooking fire, but by then she had packed up (in the dark) and moved on.

She wouldn't have seen my pack stashed in "my" cave. She probably thought that I had arrived last and had deliberately set up camp right next to her, whereas in fact she had unintentionally set up camp next to me. I understand that people can feel vulnerable in the bush, but I'm sure it's unwarranted 99% of the time.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby wayno » Fri 06 May, 2016 8:01 am

as bad as it may feel sometimes, remember theres very few adverse incidents between males and females in the wilderness. the odds of a male being more than having uncomfortable body language is pretty slim. tell them you're finding their staring rude and i expect it will stop.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby neilmny » Fri 06 May, 2016 9:11 am

wayno wrote:as bad as it may feel sometimes, remember theres very few adverse incidents between males and females in the wilderness. the odds of a male being more than having uncomfortable body language is pretty slim. tell them you're finding their staring rude and i expect it will stop.

I thought not staring at anyone was a basic manner taught at a young age.

It's possible the guy probably was under the impression that you kept looking at him Suz (each time you turned around....your words).
He probably had the small brain in his small head engaged at the time and was most likely a harmless moron.

I suggest you stay aware of what's going on around you and don't make eye contact with anyone you don't want to engage with,
and by the way nice guys don't need to be told these things!
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Fri 06 May, 2016 9:40 am

Excellent post nnw, thanks.

Men need this stuff spelled out. Strangely enough I watched the film 'Suffragette' last night, blows my mind just how recent that movement was and just how appalling women were treated, basically because men are physically stronger as a rule, and created a society built on subservience to men, thankfully women are so much stronger in every other way!

What to do about 'that feeling', dunno, follow your intuition I guess as *&%$#! as that is...
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 06 May, 2016 11:06 am

Unfortunately men are biologically programmed to look at women and not staring takes a lot of reprogramming
I try no to stare but it happens sometimes, and it has nothing to do with how good looking/attractive etc the female is; my feeling is that it depends more on how long it has been since the man last had contact with females
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Fri 06 May, 2016 11:10 am

Moondog55 wrote:Unfortunately men are biologically programmed to look at women and not staring takes a lot of reprogramming
I try no to stare but it happens sometimes, and it has nothing to do with how good looking/attractive etc the female is; my feeling is that it depends more on how long it has been since the man last had contact with females

speak for yourself but don't include other men in your pseudo science, CIVILISED MEN DON'T STARE AT WOMEN IN AN ANTI SOCIAL WAY
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby north-north-west » Fri 06 May, 2016 12:07 pm

First up, it's great to get so much support from men on this thread. It's a pleasure to 'know' you.

ribuck wrote:I understand that people can feel vulnerable in the bush, but I'm sure it's unwarranted 99% of the time.

It is unwarranted probably 99.999% of the time. But until someone develops an app that instantly and reliably distinguishes the genuinely nice guys from those who are capable of being not so nice - and defends vulnerable people from the not so nice ones - the uncertainty (and hence the fear) remain. And not just in the bush.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby benjabimon » Fri 06 May, 2016 12:08 pm

neilmny wrote:I thought not staring at anyone was a basic manner taught at a young age.

Apparently not in Sweden. I don't get it, every Swedish person that I have met outside of Sweden has been really cool, but going to their country was one of the rudest experiences in my life.

Anyway, back on topic. What's the moral... have a little self awareness, check yourself? Don't stare.
benjabimon
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby zac150 » Fri 06 May, 2016 4:23 pm

As a bloke it's hard to say what the "moral" is, as I've not been and will not be in that situation.

But as a guy, I think if you are in a situation in a hut, communication is probably key. As some have pointed out there could be a million reasons to look at someone, maybe the original poster had cool gear or was doing something different who kowns; I'm sure if they (the stare) had spoken the whole atmosphere could have been different.

I'm also assuming that the original poster wasn't comfortable to say hello to the guy staring. I'm not sure id say hello either.
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Next

Return to Bushwalking Discussion