Nasty Rash under my socks

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Nasty Rash under my socks

Postby Mutley » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 5:29 pm

For those grossed out by personal skin issues, please change channels now. But I really need some advice from others who may have experienced this..

I have just started developing a rash on my ankles, under my sock line. It's never happened before. I'm thinking some sort of heat rash, but it seems more like eczema ? First incident was last weekend in the Grampians. It wasn't particularly hot but it was a big day walking. On reaching camp I took my boots and socks off and BANG, this stinging lumpy rash appeared. More of a burning than an itching. The next day the skin was still red. Since that weekend, the rash develops whenever I wear thick socks and exercise.

Has anyone else experienced this and are there any miracle cures out there ?

I'm willing to post some lovely photos if more details are needed.. :D :evil: :D
Mutley
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Nasty Rash under my socks

Postby GBW » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 5:38 pm

Have you changed washing powders lately?
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MickyB » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 5:46 pm

Have you tried antihistamines?
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby TerraMer » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 5:52 pm

Pictures please :lol:

I get that too and put it down to a combination of things including any or all of the following
heat,
friction,
hairs being pulled out by friction,
synthetics and/or elastic on skin,
laundry detergent and
grass seeds.

I reckon the main reason is heat. I walk from first light to last, about 40-50kms. I noticed this rash did not appear during winter when the Nullarbor day temps rarely rose over 15C but in SA it is warming up to 35C (today's warning of a hot summer to come) and the rash has returned. If I stop for a couple of hours in the middle of the day and take my boots and socks off the rash eases, likewise, it has usually gone by the morning.

Some people develop sensitivities to stuff like synthetics, soaps and sticking plasters as we get older. It is annoying but can be tolerated and worked around.
thehappywalkblog.wordpress.com
Solo unaccompanied walk around Australia
Sponsored by The Australian Geographic Society
TerraMer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: The Happy Walk
Region: Australia

Postby Swampy460 » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 6:07 pm

I get a (heat) rash under my leather watchband every now and then, I use Fatty Ointment on it and it clears up in a couple of days. May help, but I think it was under prescription.

Swampy
Swampy460
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby andrewa » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 7:04 pm

Pictures, mate, or it didn't happen!

Andrew A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Chris » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 11:51 pm

I had the same problem appear suddenly probably around Christmas before last - warmish weather, yes even in Tassie :)
Absolutely nothing had changed. Mentioned it to GP who prescribed a Cortisone cream. Tried that on one leg and my regular skin cream on the other - no difference.
Eventually realised that I never get the rash if I don't wear gaiters, so I'm sure it's heat rash.
Basically, it's a pest but a price worth paying for walking :D
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby andrewa » Mon 29 Sep, 2014 11:20 pm

Mutley, I am a GP, so am happy to give some advice from a professional point of view.

"You can talk about a rash as long as you want to, but you only need to look at it for a few seconds to diagnose it".....old Chinese proverb, or similar.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eremophila » Tue 30 Sep, 2014 11:47 pm

Yep get this a lot when walking. Have also had it on calves under my Columbia pants when doing a biggish day of walking. Not under gaiters though.
Wil dig around for some pics.
Oh and it's accompanied by puffiness :roll:
Never really notice it till I stop at the end of the day/walk.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Eremophila » Wed 01 Oct, 2014 11:28 am

Some pics.... you can see my "cankles" and also the sock indents caused by the puffiness.
Attachments
384.JPG
385.JPG
Eremophila

Postby icefest » Wed 01 Oct, 2014 4:59 pm

Does that happen if you are on your feet all day even when you're not bushwalking, Eremophila?
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mutley » Wed 01 Oct, 2014 6:40 pm

Yep Erimpphilla, that's exactly it.

Based on the amateur and professional advice from the forum, I'm off to my friendly and very wise gp next week. I should have done this from the outset. I just hoped there may be a drug free cure. Any naturopaths on the forum ? Thanks to all the amateur and professional doctors for the great advice. :) :)
Mutley
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Wed 01 Oct, 2014 10:03 pm

Looks more like an urticarial type rash, which is a histamine based reaction to something. They are generally very itchy, and the raised red bits migrate around the area randomly. Cause is mostly unknown.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eremophila » Thu 02 Oct, 2014 12:39 am

1. Icefish... No. Would be in trouble otherwise! Only on longish days of walking and probably in warmer conditions. With or without trousers, not with canvas gaiters. Trialled a number of different socks.

2. Andrewa - will need to research your description, but generally not itchy.

Mutley, I've tried various creams/powders/socks. Think it's just an individual thang. The lesser of my problems when compared to blisters (a work in progress).

BTW, the toe ring usually comes off for longer walks, not sure why it was there on this occasion. But hasn't seemed to be a problem so far.
Eremophila

Postby calliejane24 » Thu 02 Oct, 2014 9:35 am

I also suffer from rashes during walks. The minor cases generally look like yours, Eremophila. My last bout was several weeks ago and was quite severe - it occurred after walking 12 very hilly kilometres, off-track on Curtis Island - it was warm (30 degrees) and rather humid). The first attachment is a very minor case and the second is the case mentioned above (this was what both of my lower legs looked like, from mid-calf to just above the ankle which generally corresponds with my sock-line and it was worst on the inside of the leg).

I have previously consulted doctors and podiatrists (when it appeared as an ankle rash and swelling. I thought it was perhaps related to fluid-buildup and inflammation as a result of the biomechanics of my feet which is also a problem) but all they could come up with is 'you are probably allergic to Goretex'. I finally ended up seeing a dermatologist and in my case, it is exercise-induced vasculitis, otherwise referred to as Golfer's vasculitis or hiker's rash. It is apparently quite common in people of northern European ancestry (check!).

Perhaps this is something to look into if you don't get any other satisfactory explanation?

IMG_0119_A.jpg
Minor
IMG_0119_A.jpg (38.9 KiB) Viewed 29694 times

IMG_0279A.jpg
Severe
IMG_0279A.jpg (45.63 KiB) Viewed 29694 times
calliejane24
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby calliejane24 » Thu 02 Oct, 2014 11:58 am

I should have also mentioned that while I have experienced slight swelling, it's not particularly itchy but feels hot.
calliejane24
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Eremophila » Thu 02 Oct, 2014 8:04 pm

Wow what a lightbulb moment for me. The term "Golfer's Vasculitis" caught my eye.

2 years ago I returned to Alice Springs to play golf in the Masters Games, having moved away from there in 2011.

First round of golf was ok, on the second day I had this nasty rash which felt like bad sunburn initially, a real burning. Missed the third day's play, my feet were swollen and I couldn't get the golf shoes on.

On the final day's play it returned with a vengeance. I changed into long cotton pants halfway through which didn't help. My last couple of days in Alice were spent wearing jeans in the 40 degree heat to cover this up. It took about 5 days to fully resolve. You can see how puffy my lower legs & feet were.

From browsing a few articles which came up in my google search, it seems the worst area is usually the inner calf, just above the sockline.

All this time I thought it was a reaction to fertiliser or something on the golf course. A very faint patch had started to appear on one arm as well.

At least I have a name for it now, thanks Callie :D
Attachments
011.JPG
011.JPG (12.02 KiB) Viewed 29630 times
012.JPG
cankles!
012.JPG (11.64 KiB) Viewed 29630 times
013.JPG
013.JPG (11.53 KiB) Viewed 29630 times
016.JPG
016.JPG (12.16 KiB) Viewed 29630 times
017.JPG
017.JPG (11.77 KiB) Viewed 29630 times
Eremophila

Postby Eremophila » Thu 02 Oct, 2014 8:11 pm

Oh and Mutley, one article stated it's simply due to "heat and age".
Eremophila

Postby Mutley » Sun 12 Oct, 2014 10:37 am

Yep. I'm a hot old bloke. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mutley
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 12 Oct, 2014 12:43 pm

andrewa wrote:"You can talk about a rash as long as you want to, but you only need to look at it for a few seconds to diagnose it".....old Chinese proverb, or similar.

Haha! Where did you dig this gem up from? At least it's not a Confucius says... :mrgreen:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 12 Oct, 2014 1:00 pm

andrewa wrote:Looks more like an urticarial type rash, which is a histamine based reaction to something. They are generally very itchy, and the raised red bits migrate around the area randomly. Cause is mostly unknown.

[All caveats of "forum medicine" applies here]
I agree, contact dermatitis like.

Given the location and the socks line, I am wondering if it's related to at least one of the following - Sweat, heat, dust/dirt, pollen/plant based agents or even mechanical. As with allergies, once sensitised, it'll come back repeatedly with future exposures.

Solution? Typically trial and error to get to the root cause (if ever found). Best to go via your doctor so that proper review and monitoring of treatment/s can be provided.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby vicrev » Sun 12 Oct, 2014 6:35 pm

Just read this thread,after a nice barbie..........Who asked for pictures ?????.......... :shock: :lol: :lol: .....Vicrev
vicrev

Postby Hallu » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 7:51 am

Had this once, when my gaiters were worn too tight. Doesn't seem to be your case, unless your shoes/socks are too tight. Only had it once, but yeah it was swollen, red, and worse behind the calves. It felt hot in that area, like a sunburn. You've tried different socks, have you tried different shoes ?
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby jobell » Tue 14 Oct, 2014 3:18 pm

Eremophila - I've had the exact same rash on bushwalks. Last time was the 48km or so Trek for Timor in Kangaroo Valley in 2013. I used to put it down to either heat or a reaction to a plant. In hindsight, given I usually walk in long pants to avoid contact with plants/bugs/sun, I'd err on the side of heat rash. It goes away if I ignore it long enough :0)
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Hallu » Tue 14 Oct, 2014 7:05 pm

Yeah I checked online and it's definitely "golfer's vasculitis" or "hiker's vasculitis", and it's also one of those "we don't know how it works and what makes it go away". No treatment, no cause, just that it occurs more easily with 50+ year old people and on walking people instead of running people, predominantly on hot days. I would try any way to put less effort on your legs : I only had this one time when hiking Mt Murchison with no poles, so I'd try to lighten your pack and use 2 walking poles.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Eremophila » Thu 16 Oct, 2014 9:33 pm

Hmmm.... I was "only" 47 when I had the bad bout shown above. It was hot in Alice at the time, but considering I lived there previously for over 20 years, and played golf in the heat for 2 years before I left, I'm surprised I had such a reaction.

Different shoes, yes. Doesn't seem to make any difference :roll:
Eremophila

Postby Angel007 » Fri 30 Jun, 2017 10:27 pm

Socks with nylon might be better replaced by cotton. Nylon can burn the skin.
Angel007
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Bushwalking Discussion