Bird ID

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Bird ID

Postby drakkar » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 8:20 pm

Between bendigo and castlemaine on the GDT there were several flocks of birds, I never really got a better look than a black shadow against the sky.

They had a very distinctive call, almost like a big group of kids crying/screaming. and made the atmosphere on the old flood type plains very very eerie.

Sorry I can't give more info.
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Bird ID

Postby Empty » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 8:49 pm

Sounds like yellow tailed black cockatoos Drakkar. Either that or Flying nuns.
I may be doing the typing but Steve Jobs is doing the spelling!
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MickyB » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 10:25 pm

Empty wrote:Sounds like yellow tailed black cockatoos

Drakkar, click on this link to hear what yellow tailed black cockatoos sound like. This might confirm if Empty's suggestion is correct.

http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/sites/w ... nereus.mp3
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Hallu » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 1:43 am

Kids screaming isn't really similar to their call, and they don't move in big flocks. How big were the flocks ? How high were they flying ? Did you see them take off/land, what type of habitat was surrounding you (forest, plains, mallee ?) ? Were they big birds ? Are you sure they were mostly black birds ?
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby awildland » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 6:27 am

Could be white-winged choughs ?? - they do hang in flocks and certainly have a distinctive harsh call. As well as the screechy call they have a whistling firecracker call when disturbed. they're a great bird and we have noticed them much further east this year, along the great divide, possibly because of drought out west.

agree with mickyb - try the birdsinbackyards website.
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Empty » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 8:12 am

Hallu wrote:Kids screaming isn't really similar to their call, and they don't move in big flocks. How big were the flocks ? How high were they flying ? Did you see them take off/land, what type of habitat was surrounding you (forest, plains, mallee ?) ? Were they big birds ? Are you sure they were mostly black birds ?

I spose it depends on what you consider constitutes a flock. They are regular visitors to our property in groups up to a dozen or so. They are particularly attracted to the pine trees when the cones are very young and create a real bombardment by cropping them off. At other times they are more common in pairs but their call is very distinctive. My other thought was choughs which are also very common in this area but they tend to be most raucous when on the ground and disturbed.

I do still like the idea of flying nuns though.
I may be doing the typing but Steve Jobs is doing the spelling!
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MickyB » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 8:47 am

Empty wrote:
Hallu wrote:Kids screaming isn't really similar to their call, and they don't move in big flocks. How big were the flocks ? How high were they flying ? Did you see them take off/land, what type of habitat was surrounding you (forest, plains, mallee ?) ? Were they big birds ? Are you sure they were mostly black birds ?

I spose it depends on what you consider constitutes a flock. They are regular visitors to our property in groups up to a dozen or so.

I have seen them in flocks of about 40 but I think this would be rare. We commonly see them in our area, usually in groups of about 8.
Last edited by MickyB on Fri 25 Apr, 2014 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby neilmny » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 9:01 am

Could have been Corellas, plenty of them down that way in big flocks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WC6IMpuiRs

Although it's more like kids squabbling than crying and screaming.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby drakkar » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 10:33 am

Black cockatoo's sound closest. They were in the lush grasslands/flood plains in between the really rocky dry sections between bendigo and castlemain.

When I get some time I'll dig around that site and report back
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tex » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 2:30 pm

MickyB wrote:
Empty wrote:

I spose it depends on what you consider constitutes a flock. They are regular visitors to our property in groups up to a dozen or so.

I have seen them in flocks of about 40 but I think this would be rare. We commonly see them in our area, usually in groups of about 8.

Every year we get them in the big pines behind our house, there is easily a hundred or more. It is the most amazing sight and sound when they all take off at once.
Tex
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Return to Bushwalking Discussion