Toolona Creek Circuit, Lamington - Overnight Hike

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Toolona Creek Circuit, Lamington - Overnight Hike

Postby eug » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 5:54 pm

After reading up a bit and getting some extra info from metastable, two of my friends and me decided to do Toolona Circuit as our first overnight hike. It was a pretty good trip; we started at about 11.45am, had lunch at Pinic Rock, and got to Bithongabel at around 4.45pm.

The final creek crossing before Bithongabel is at or somewhere near Poojabinya Falls - that is where we got our water from. We still had about 4L of drinking water left over between us, so I just filled up my water pack with 3L of creek water to use at camp.

I logged all the water crossings we came across on my GPS, hopefully they'll help someone in the future. A few of them were dry though. The crossings/falls weren't all signposted so I'm not sure what most of them are.

It wasn't as strenuous as I was expecting, but it was definitely more tiring than a "packless" hike, of course. My pack was 9kg, my friend's pack was 11kg. The temperature was expected to drop to around 13 degrees so we brought a sleeping bag along with our tent. We were thinking of just bringing a sleeping bag, but metastable advised against it - which was a good thing, as we found a few leeches around the tent as we were setting up! I'm just imagining waking up in the morning with leeches in my nose. :x I spotted a red-bellied black snake behind our tent in the morning too.

Surprisingly, Bithongabel had 1 bar of Optus 4G, 1 bar of Telstra 4G, and sometimes 4 bars of Telstra 3G.

We slept in and left at around 11am, got back to O'Reillys at around 12.30pm, had lunch there, and headed back. We spotted another red-bellied black snake basking in the sun on the trail on the way back.

Thanks again to metastable for posting about it a few times here. The fact that he did it easily with his 7-year old gave us overnight-virgins some confidence. :)

Google Maps link - https://goo.gl/3PX0Qc
GPX file -
Toolona Creek Circuit.gpx
GPX file
(271.69 KiB) Downloaded 693 times

Original post references:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23359#p305183
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=17784#p237764

The uprooted tree route (ha!)
101_1971 (Medium).jpg

Picnic Rock
DSC01137 (Medium).jpg

Another uprooted tree on the trail
101_1986 (Medium).jpg

Chalahn Falls
DSC01159 (Medium).jpg

Toolona Falls
DSC01184 (Medium).jpg

DSC01171 (Medium).jpg

Near the peak of Mt Bithongabel, before the campsite
20161123_162213 (Medium).jpg

Sunset at the campsite
DSC01207 (Medium).jpg

Sunrise
DSC01251 (Medium).jpg
eug
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Toolona Creek Circuit, Lamington - Overnight Hike

Postby metastable » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 6:15 am

Nice writeup guys, good to see it all went well.

Hope it's the first of many more.
metastable
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby awildland » Fri 23 Dec, 2016 2:04 pm

Great spot for your first overnight hike! How huge is that fallen tree!!?? Beautiful spot.
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Jayps68 » Wed 04 Jan, 2017 1:14 pm

Nice works guys, Bithongabel is one of my fave sites. next time go the other way and do the Albert River Circuit, the falls are diferent there, and quite spectacular.... I actually think I was camping at Echo a while back and heard one of those tress fall down the escarpment. Extrraordianry noise that rang around the range for minutes.
It's all the same to me where i begin, for to there I shall return...
Jayps68
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to QLD Trip Reports & Track Notes