Blue Breaks Blitz (PHOTOS)

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Blue Breaks Blitz (PHOTOS)

Postby HitchHiking » Tue 17 Apr, 2012 10:30 am

The Blue Breaks Blitz.

This was a great, scrubby, and a rather impromptu trip. After a phone call on the Saturday afternoon we were on the road first thing Sunday morning away for 4 days. While driving to Yerranderie I realised with horror that while packing for the four days I had some how forgot to pack my billy! It looked like raw pasta and cold instant mash for me. While congratulating myself for this addition to the adventure I also realised that I had left my book behind. ( a Louis Lamour of course).4 Days with nothing to read!

With great luck the IGA in Oberon was open for Easter Sunday and I picked up a can of 850 gram of baked beans. The tin was my new billy. Arriving at Yerranderie we met with Tom who opened the gift shop for me and I purchased Jim Barrett's book on Yerranderie to be my reading. I can now recite the tonnages of first grade ore from the height of the small towns production. :lol:

Since the route is mainly off track I will keep the route description simple. We did most of the planning for this trip on the Saturday night and then in the car on the way up. We decided to see where the wind would take us and it ended up being a very memorable trip.

Our basic route outline was something like this.
Yerranderie - Scotts Main -Axehead range-Green Wattle Mtn- the break just after-Green Wattle Creek- Bull Island Creek- Bull Island Peak- Axehead Range- Scotts Main-Yearranderie.

The trip was full of highlights but these were the ultra highlights:
- During night one we were treated to a fantastic lightning show from our Camp at the end of the Axehead Range. It was great as we boiled the new Billy sat back and watch the light show.

- Finding a pass from the Break into Green Wattle Creek. The rope saved out skin...or rather a bad bash back up. :lol:

- The RazorBlade.

Here are a selection of pics from the trip.

Scotts Main

View from first nights camp prior to the lightning storm show.

Ben with a classic abseil into Green Wattle Creek.

Inside Green Wattle

Night 2 Camp

Night 3 Camp

Aboriginal axe grinding groves.

Yerranderie The start and finish.

Huey was very kind to us and for that we were thankful.

Cheers,
Evan- Terra Rosa Gear, Handcrafted adventure equipment from Melbourne.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.TerraRosaGear.com
Region: Victoria

Re: Blue Breaks Blitz (PHOTOS)

Postby FatCanyoner » Tue 17 Apr, 2012 2:24 pm

How good are the Blue Breaks. I did two 6 day trips out that way last year, and all it taught me was that I'll need to do plenty more to see it all!
And I completely understand why the Razorblade was on your highlights. That and 'The Thin Bit' on Vengeance are mind blowing!
P.S. Good call on keeping the track notes side of things sketchy. Despite not being that far from Sydney it is amazing how wild and trackless much of the Blue Breaks remain!
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au
Region: New South Wales

Postby HitchHiking » Tue 17 Apr, 2012 7:40 pm

FatCanyoner wrote:How good are the Blue Breaks. I did two 6 day trips out that way last year, and all it taught me was that I'll need to do plenty more to see it all!
And I completely understand why the Razorblade was on your highlights. That and 'The Thin Bit' on Vengeance are mind blowing!
P.S. Good call on keeping the track notes side of things sketchy. Despite not being that far from Sydney it is amazing how wild and trackless much of the Blue Breaks remain!

Yeah the Razorblade was good fun. A bit sketchy but. Ha :shock: . Didnt get out to Vengeance. Figured to leave it for the next trip. Looking forward to that when ever it is.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DaveNoble » Wed 18 Apr, 2012 6:58 pm

I was out that way, walking with two friends - during Easter. See -

http://www.david-noble.net/blog/?p=1231

We were surprised to see another party out on the divide between Tonalli and Bimlow Tablelands. Great country!

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby HitchHiking » Wed 18 Apr, 2012 7:30 pm

Great report and photos again Dave! Your pioneering and knowledge of the area is wonderful to read.
We met a party coming down off Axhead range to Scotts after a day trip out along it. They looked like they had a good time of it.

I gave a couple of cooees on the Sunday night from the Axehead Range. Had some great echos but got no reply. :D
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes