Sams Ck - Scabby Range NR

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Sams Ck - Scabby Range NR

Postby kanangra » Sun 29 Jan, 2012 1:02 pm

On Australia Day I drove down to Namadgi NP south of Canberra and parked at the Yankee Hat parking area. My mate and I walked off down the Old Boboyan Road to the Naas Valley where we stopped for lunch on a rocky knoll surrounded by open grassy plains. I looked for but couldn't locate the remains of Lone Pine Homestead although did find some old timber fencing and a plaque to young child who died in infancy in 1915. We then continued up valley past Lutons Crutching shed wherethere was tank water. It was a very pleasant stroll up the open valley until the timber began to close in. Here the track took a sharp left and headed up hill. A sign declared this to be Maurice Luton's FT with 2.3k to the border. Sams Ck Trail appeared to have ended abruptly but after hunting around it was relocated and followed above the valley floor. the regrowth on the track was quite thick in places but the old road bed could be followed most of the way. Around 5:30 we decided to camp on a graay rise above the creek amongst the timber oppposite Gudgenby Saddle. This would be our base to explore up Sams Ck tomorrow.

On the 27th we continued up Sams Ck FT or what was left of it as it climbed to the ACT/NSW border. Here I located a border cairn just in from the track on the south. The track then descended to Sams Ck which was crossed at an old corduroy style log crossing. A small campsite was found just up from the crossing on the left of the track. From here the track climbs above the creek until descending to the first flat where there is an excellent grassy camp site. Further on where the valley narrowed we found a small fall and a pool deep enough for swimming. from here we continued mostly in the valley itself but did fine further evidence of the road at old crossings. At length the timber began to close in again and we decided to turn back here. I found a bit of old wire and a few ringbarked trees suggesting some grazing activity years ago?

We were back at camp by 2:00 and after a cuppa I decided to take on Mt Gudgenby. I approached it direct staright from the creek and it was a long and arduous climb. The scrub was quite thick in places particularly where there was sappling regrowth amongst the dead stems of old burnt out trees. Several rock walls had to be scaled till at last I burst out onto the summit granite slabs. The views from here to the south and west were fantastic. It turned out i still had quite a way to go clambering up and over many boulders before finally emerging on top and making my way over to the trig. It is perched right on the south eastern corner and presents a very airy prospect. The views in all directions were spectacular. Back along the range to the north was a prominent pile of rocks. The valley of Sams Ck we had traversed the day before was evident to the north west and the Boboyan Valley, our route in, could be seen off to the south. I decided to descend off to the south in a line with the saddle. Once the upper slab cliffs were safely negotiated this proved to be better than my outward route although the scrub was still bad in places. I ended up coming out just below the saddle on the western side from where it wasn't far down to camp.

On the 28th we packed up and headed out via Gudgenby Saddle. The route down from there was easy to follow although I still managed to walk off the track a couple of times. At length we burst out into the clear and there it wasn't far to the old pine forest perimeter road which we followed around to Frank and Jacks Hut from where it was only a short walk back to the car. an excellent trip.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Sams Ck - Scabby Range NR

Postby iandsmith » Mon 27 Feb, 2012 2:11 pm

Nice story, shame you haven't got any pics to back it up! Would love to have seen the view.
Cheers, Ian
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Sams Ck - Scabby Range NR

Postby kanangra » Tue 28 Feb, 2012 10:34 am

Ian I have got some pics but I am just such a Luddite when it comes to the technical side of posting them. All my kids have moved out so I have know one to show me. I even have trouble with the tele and video. :( :oops:
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes