A week of remote canyoning in the Coorongooba Labyrinth

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

A week of remote canyoning in the Coorongooba Labyrinth

Postby FatCanyoner » Sun 29 Jan, 2012 9:32 am

G'day folks,
This email comes with all the zeal of a new convert, for I have finally made my way into some of that amazing canyon country up north in the Wollemi that exists without track notes (or tracks) and sits isolated and pristine, ready for exploration.
A group of us did a seven day trip, visiting 11 canyons, which included some absolutely amazing ones. Some were very deep and dark, most had plenty of abseils (we did about 20 abseils in one day!), the moss was lush and unworn, there were not so much as a single footprint, in most there were no slings (for those who like me enjoy the challenge of finding / building an anchor).
Our week barely scratched the surface, and was covering canyons found decades ago, but it has really made me understand the magic of this wilderness area. I definitely think a week of each summer will be spent up in this area for many years to come!
For those of you who are interested, a full trip report with photos can be found here: http://fatcanyoners.org/2012/01/18/coorongooba/
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au
Region: New South Wales

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes