Lindeman Pass

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Lindeman Pass

Postby Packo » Wed 16 Nov, 2011 10:29 am

I started the day with a drive to Leura, then a drive home again to pick up the forgotten map. This is one walk in the mountains that I would not attempt without one. Lindeman Pass has been on my “must do list” for a long time, and now I can cross it off and rewrite it as a “must do again sometime”.

I started walking about 6:40 am. I wanted an early start as I wasn’t to sure how long it was going to take. I had read Jim Smiths track notes and I had a copy of his sketch map at hand. He had stated to allow at least 7 hours starting from Gladstone Pass. My plan was start at Roberts Pass and to walk back to the car from Leura Cascades after I climb back up out of the valley. Roberts Pass and Gladstone Pass are familiar to me as I had walked them a couple of months ago and glad I did, as track location can get a bit tricky in places. The walk down to the start of Lindeman Pass was pleasant and by the time I had gotten there most of the mist had cleared from the valley. The walk around to Lawtons Creek went well and I chose to go for a bush bash to find the Gladstone coal mine which I had read much about in Jim Smiths book titled “The Blue Mountains Mystery Track – Lindeman Pass” After scrambling down about 100 metres I found a cairn so I thought I must be close. Searching around a little I discovered it about 20m west of it. A quick pic was taken and I was back on my way again. By the time I got back on track I was soaked through with sweat. This part of the valley tucked up in the southern part of the escarpment seemed to be much more humid than other areas close by. Or maybe it was just me and the few scotches I had had last night. That could of had something to do with losing the track at this point too. I started heading west a bit too soon and ended up on a loose shale ledge going nowhere. Getting there was quite hard. getting back without falling was harder still. That was a wake up call to pay attention where I was, and where I was going. I can’t afford to make stupid mistakes like that when out by myself.

After getting back on track I totally forgot about looking for Dash’s Cave and kept on moving. Maybe next time. Heading down the eastern side of Sublime Point gets quite rough. There are many landslides and fallen trees to maneuver around. After which finding the track again can sometimes be easier said than done. There are a few markers here and there but I always seemed to find them when I knew I was back on the track. Never when I was off the track and looking for where it was. The track goes up and down a lot making progress a little harder too. On one downward section through some bracken fern I could see something orange beside the track further down. I was quite puzzled, and am still as it was a high vis jumper. Which by itself isn’t strange but underneath was a full wetsuit and what looked to be some burnt fiberglass tent poles. This was placed beside the track. It was too far out from the cliff to of been thrown there and why would someone have a wetsuit all the way out here miles away from anywhere you would need one. One of those mysteries that I will probably never know the answer to.

A little further on and I passed the tip of Sublime Point where I stopped at Lindeman Rock for a rest and a bite to eat. A nice breeze was blowing on the west side and I was hot enough to take my sopping wet shirt off to try and dry out a bit. The walk from here past Wotford Falls to the base of Lindeman Fall was in great condition. A nice change from what I had just been through. The only obstacle was a tangle of many branches at the base of Lindeman Falls. Combined with the rock scramble it made passing quite difficult, but after back tracking a couple of times I found an easy enough route through the tangled mess.

Gordon Falls was reached soon after and it was another good feeling of reaching a milestone. The track climbs up and goes around behind the falls which is quite nice and from here on I was expecting some muddy sections but to my surprise the track was in very good condition. The fire that was started above the cliffline on Olympia Parade dropped down into this part of the valley and burnt out a one or two kilometre section of the track which made it a little hard to follow in places, as everywhere was covered in dead leaves and it was hard to pick out where the track actually was, but the walking was easy. It wasn’t long before I was at the base of Leura Falls and the end of Lindeman Pass which is marked with a sign stating that the walk is hard to navigate. I would have to agree that it is, but mostly its in fair condition. Even so to do the walk you definitely need to take a topo map and Jim Smith’s sketch map is very very helpful. It is indeed a walk for experienced walkers only. If the average Katoomba tourist found there way into this area they could get themselves into a bit of a situation.

So I am at the base of Leura falls. It would of been a truly wonderful place before humans got to it. Now there is rubbish strewn everywhere reminding everyone of days gone by when the area was used for the Katoomba / Leura sewage treatment works further down stream. It amazes me that it was never been cleaned up years ago, but they were different times I suppose. Even though these days I see National Parks and Wildlife transport tonnes and tonnes of rock via helicopter for track upgrading in areas that don’t need it and they cant spare one trip in a chopper to lift the junk out of this area. It truely makes you wonder. After passing Leura tip.. I mean Falls it was a climb up though the heavy tourist area of Federal Pass, Leura Cascades and onwards over the clifftop walk, back to the car via Saloom Pool and Leura Golf Course.

Just over 9 hours and 15km round trip it sure gave me a good workout. It is a walk I will do again. May be in the opposite direction next time and just from Leura Cascades but all the way through to Wentworth Falls.

You can find pics, video, map and stats here
Packo
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Lindeman Pass

Postby johnw » Wed 16 Nov, 2011 12:58 pm

Another good report packo :). As stated elsewhere I've walked it in the opposite direction and done several other trips part way from either end. Your description largely parallels my own experience of the conditions, although we had a lot of mud around Gordon Falls. You may find it slightly easier travelling west to east as I did, but the nav is still not easy. A shame about Leura Falls, it sounds like that location has gotten worse since I was last there. It wasn't pristine, but compared with some other places wasn't too bad either. I will have a better look at your blog and photos tonight.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Greenie » Wed 16 Nov, 2011 4:34 pm

Would I have seen that signless track on the way to Vera falls?

Thanks for the report
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Wed 16 Nov, 2011 6:42 pm

Greenie wrote:Would I have seen that signless track on the way to Vera falls?

Greenie, you would have passed the Roberts Pass turnoff on the way down to Vera Falls, although it had a small sign last time I was there.
It joins the eastern end of the Lindeman Pass. Roberts pass turns right at that point and goes uphill to near Inspiration Point.
Roberts was closed between Lindeman Pass and the Vera Falls Track due to a landslip. Don't know if it's been re-opened.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Greenie » Wed 16 Nov, 2011 7:07 pm

I remember the turn off to Roberts pass. But I recall another turn off not far from there. I thought it might have been Linderman Pass.

I might get a copy of Jim Smiths book, it would be interesting to know the history of the area
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Wed 16 Nov, 2011 8:26 pm

Greenie wrote:I remember the turn off to Roberts pass. But I recall another turn off not far from there. I thought it might have been Linderman Pass.

I might get a copy of Jim Smiths book, it would be interesting to know the history of the area

No, the Lindeman Pass doesn't start from the Valley of the Waters (unless you consider Roberts Pass as part of it - physically do they appear to be more or less continuations of each other). I think I might know the unmarked track that you saw, assuming they haven't removed the sign from Roberts Pass. If it's the one I'm thinking of it's a dead end at a steep drop not far along it. When you get the Jim Smith book it will be easier to see where these old tracks start and finish. Unfortunately the topo map doesn't show them. The book is a very interesting historical read that should help bring any subsequent trip to life, particularly about Charles Lindeman and his efforts to establish the track. Plenty of controversy back then and again later on when Jim Smith and Wilf Hilder rediscovered it.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Packo » Thu 17 Nov, 2011 5:32 am

johnw wrote:Another good report packo :). A shame about Leura Falls, it sounds like that location has gotten worse since I was last there.

Thanks John. I may have made Leura Falls sound worse than it is as I think it's still the same as it has been for years. It just annoys me seeing so much industrial rubbish in the area. I suppose I should think about doing something about it instead of whinging about it :) I did think about carrying some out with me but I was having a hard enough time getting myself up to the top at the time. Maybe in a day I could do three trips down and back. In just a couple of days I could make a reasonable improvement. I will put some more thought to that in the future.
Packo
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Packo » Thu 17 Nov, 2011 6:03 am

Greenie wrote:I remember the turn off to Roberts pass. But I recall another turn off not far from there. I thought it might have been Linderman Pass.

Yes Greenie, that section of Roberts pass is still closed due to landslide. I'm not sure how bad it. Jims book is definatly worth a read. I noticed a copy at Blue Mountains City Library at Blaxland the other day.
Packo
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby FatCanyoner » Thu 17 Nov, 2011 10:27 am

Thanks for that trip report. Very similar to my own experience (although I got wet because it was raining, rather than hot!)
I'm not normally one for walking tracks around Katoomba, but this one is a gem. I'd definitely share your recommendation for people to read Jim's book first. I found the history floating through by head as I reached each new point on the track. It would have to be the only 'track' around Katoomba where you can walk for hours and not be interrupted by noisy tourists.
You're also spot on about Leura Falls. It wouldn't take much effort by NPWS to make it much better. I remember seeing all sorts of crap dumped there. I took a photo of one of the particularly weird / ugly things left down there... https://picasaweb.google.com/115711760151725176279/LindemanPass#5508551764091525474
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby johnw » Thu 17 Nov, 2011 10:38 am

To illustrate how the main tracks in this area connect I quickly whipped up the following (very) rough sketch map in Visio. Please don't use it for navigation or trip planning. Among other limitations it is incomplete, I have not shown all the tracks in this area. For experienced walkers/navigators only, the proper tools for a trip on the Lindeman Pass are the Katoomba 1:25,000 topographic map and Jim Smith's book "The Blue Mountains Mystery Track - Lindeman Pass", or "How See The Blue Mountains" by the same author (out of print).

Lindeman et al.jpg
Lindeman et al.jpg (27.01 KiB) Viewed 12767 times
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby michael_p » Thu 17 Nov, 2011 11:34 am

Packo,

Thanks for another interesting walk report and video and photos and route map.

I really need to get my hands on a copy of Jim Smith's book. Looks like it's got some real hidden gems in it for those of us who like the path less travelled.

Cheers,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tom_brennan » Thu 17 Nov, 2011 9:05 pm

There's one (of How to see the Blue Mountains) going on eBay for $10 (can't remember if it's 1st or 2nd ed - there's a fair bit more in the 2nd ed)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SMITH-Jim-Se ... 3f0ff6713b
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby michael_p » Fri 18 Nov, 2011 7:52 am

tom_brennan wrote:There's one (of How to see the Blue Mountains) going on eBay for $10 (can't remember if it's 1st or 2nd ed - there's a fair bit more in the 2nd ed)

Thanks Tom.

I hadn't even thought about checking Fleabay. It was listed as being the second edition so I bought it. :D

Thanks again,
Michael.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Fri 18 Nov, 2011 1:17 pm

michael_p wrote:
tom_brennan wrote:There's one (of How to see the Blue Mountains) going on eBay for $10 (can't remember if it's 1st or 2nd ed - there's a fair bit more in the 2nd ed)

Thanks Tom.

I hadn't even thought about checking Fleabay. It was listed as being the second edition so I bought it. :D

Well done Michael. Those things are becoming as rare as hen's teeth and 2nd hand dealers often want a bomb for them. I bought a 2nd edition years ago for $7-00 from a 2nd hand bookstore in WA. Has seen plenty of action and even survived a dunking in Katoomba Creek once :roll:. Strangely, I picked up a first edition in Devonport two or three Tassie trips ago. I think it cost me about the same price and looks brand new. I thought that the Lindeman Pass book was still in print but could be wrong based on recent research. I guess a few shops might still have stock, I'm pretty sure I have seen it for sale somewhere in the last 12 months.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby michael_p » Fri 18 Nov, 2011 2:02 pm

$10 + $6.50p&p is OK by me, so I am very happy with that find (thanks again to Tom).

I will have to go for a wander and see if I can find a copy of the Lindeman pass book in the upper mountains bookshops next time we stay at our friends place in Bleakheath (oops, sorry, I meant Blackheath). :lol:
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Packo » Fri 18 Nov, 2011 5:01 pm

WOW I never realised they were out of print. That must mean my autographed copies are collectors items :lol: :lol:
Packo
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tom_brennan » Mon 28 Nov, 2011 12:20 pm

Megalong Books is quite good on historical books
http://megalongbooks.com.au/history.html
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides