Nadgee wilderness in winter

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Postby MartyGwynne » Thu 25 Aug, 2011 6:00 pm

I drove to the Merrica River Rangers station on the 8th August arriving at 4pm so went for a quick look at the Merrica river outlet Very pretty with a couple of little stingrays swiming around near the bank. Back to the car just on dark and slept in car ready for an early start. OK slept in a bit (it happens after nightshifts) and walked on off to Lake Nadgee as my destination leaving the car at about 8:30 am. 25 km's later I arrived at the Lake via Harry's hut (a good spot to retreat to if the weather got bad). OH the weather forcast was for it to be very very wet in Gippsland (in fact it recieved about 150-190 mm of rain).
I was rather tired whan I got to the lake at 4:30 pm so had dinner and then went to bed and slept another 10hrs. The lake was very very high and a fairly good breeze was blowing in from the west. I had planned on walking to the NSW/VIC border but when I got to the lake outflow it was actually lapping over the sandbar to the ocean so I cancelled my idea of walking off for the next 4 or 5 hours just incase the lake broke open and me being stranded with tent on one side and me on the other (no sense of adventure when by myself).
So as the wind was getting stronger and a huge black cloud heading my way I decided to retreat to Harry's hut.
A few spots of rain on the way there saw me at Harry's about 3pm then 3:30 it poured for a while. It was very nice to stay in a hut which has been renovated in 2007 (Ithink) by a group of people and now is sort of maintained (very much appreciated). Those who have done this and will continue to do so need to be congratulated as in 2003 when I was last there the hut was not far from total ruin.
I spent the night in the hut sharing it with a few local rats/mice which largley left me alone and vice versa. The rain eased off overnight and the weather was just windy and overcast on the Thursday. I decided to walk out and make for home just incase the rain etc really started to get me wet and cold. A few showers along the way but the sea was so rough and waves crashing in I could hear them clearly from the top of tumbledown mountain about 5 kms inland and up a bit.
I had noticed that ther has been a lot of track work and revamping of the old toilet blocks at Little river and Newtons beach. Plus a lot of work around Harry's hut to remove weeds (Arum Lilleys, black berry's and Rasberries) by some goups of land care type of people is making a difference on returning the natural vegetation around this area.
I will try to remember to down load some photos soon to support this trip report.

Marty.
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Nadgee wilderness in winter

Postby MartyGwynne » Fri 26 Aug, 2011 9:50 pm

Some photos of the trip.
I can do it from work.. :D
Attachments
IMG_0277.jpg
The Merrica River Outlet
IMG_0279.jpg
Merrica River Outlet
IMG_0285.jpg
Little Sting ray
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MartyGwynne » Fri 26 Aug, 2011 11:20 pm

OK I have made the files a lot smaller so some quality may be lost but you get the idea.
Marty
Attachments
IMG_0303.jpg
Newtons beach camp area
IMG_0303.jpg (98.12 KiB) Viewed 6820 times
IMG_0311.jpg
track between Newtons and Little River
IMG_0311.jpg (71.11 KiB) Viewed 6819 times
IMG_0317.jpg
Little RIver turn off
IMG_0317.jpg (127.33 KiB) Viewed 6819 times
IMG_0323.jpg
Little River Camp
IMG_0323.jpg (104.32 KiB) Viewed 6819 times
IMG_0331.jpg
Little RIver Ocean view
IMG_0331.jpg (33.7 KiB) Viewed 6819 times
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MartyGwynne » Fri 26 Aug, 2011 11:30 pm

Last lot of pics
Attachments
IMG_0360.jpg
Harry's Hut
IMG_0360.jpg (104.58 KiB) Viewed 6819 times
IMG_0455.jpg
Warming my toes at Harry's
IMG_0455.jpg (44.31 KiB) Viewed 6819 times
IMG_0369.jpg
Nadgee Beach
IMG_0369.jpg (76.2 KiB) Viewed 6819 times
IMG_0377.jpg
Lake Nadgee nearly spilling over to ocean
IMG_0377.jpg (38 KiB) Viewed 6819 times
IMG_0430.jpg
Some great flowers
IMG_0430.jpg (75.14 KiB) Viewed 6819 times
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby prince » Mon 29 Aug, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi Marty, enjoyed the pics, some free advice,ditch the walking poles (just somethig else to carry) and get a new mug. cheers for now kmcl
prince
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby phan_TOM » Mon 29 Aug, 2011 4:56 pm

G'day marty,

Thanks for the trip report and photos you've given me inspiration as I'm planning on doing the nadgee-howe wilderness
walk solo next year. harrys hut is pretty much brand spanking new by the looks of it, I've got a mate who did the walk a couple
of yeas ago and he said it was a piece of cr*p when he was there, run down and full of vermin, reckoned you'd be drier and
safer outside!

Is there potable water anywhere or is it necesary to bring some kind of treatment? I see harrys hut has a tank (not that it means its
safe for consumption).

and I agree with prince about the mug, get rid of it!! the only good thing about those enamel mugs is the fact that they are nearly
indestructable. You pour a hot cuppa, the rapid heat conduction burns your hand and makes it impossible to hold onto and then
that same rapid heat loss makes your drink cold in under 6.5 seconds. and i know, i owned and used one for about a decade!

fine for a good red though!

p.s. okay 6.5 seconds may be the biggest exaggeration in the history of the universe but its quick...
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby andrewbish » Thu 01 Sep, 2011 8:19 am

Thanks for the report, Marty. Nice pics- the fireside shot made me feel very relaxed :)

The enamel mug is a classic! Personally, I use a takeaway coffee cup - usually one leftover from a coffee bought on the drive in - weighs next to nothing.

.. As for comments re the walking poles, each to his own, I say. There are advocates for poles, no poles or even one pole.

Keep on walkin'

Andrew
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish

Postby MartyGwynne » Fri 02 Sep, 2011 2:23 pm

Hey guys thanks for the comments:-)
I will not be getting a new cup, as It does not have a nasty plastic taste can withstand most punishment can be sat on the fire to keep warm or boil water and it is still working.
Walking/trecking poles, as my back is somewhat damaged due to popping a disc I sort of need them to take some of the weight and load off my lower back.
I find I can walk quite fast and strongly with them and not pull up sore, so NO I WONT get rid of the poles they let me get out with a pack on again after 3-4 years of not walking with a pack. If I had a good back I would not use them and sort of thought they were a bit of a wanky thing to use, now I have reason to use them and find they are the best thing for me.
As for Harry's hut, some people set to and renovated it a few years ago and they must be congratulated on their efforts "Well done guys" I hope others continue to keep it in good shape for the years to come as last time I was there it was in very bad shape.

Water is good at Harry's as behind the hut there is a small plastic tank with grade 1 quality water in it (even running cold water to the hut). Water at Lake Nadgee is non-existant, the only time I have gotten water there was off the tarp when it rained, you would need to get it at Harry's or Bunyip Hole.
Water at Lake Wau Wauka is normally OK if a bit salty but there are pools/ponds in the dunes on both sides of the outlet so you are right there.
Lake Barracoota is freshwater and so so so sweet the water mmm mmm.
During summer most water spots will nearly dry up if it is hot and dry (such as the last few dought'ish years we have had).

Oh and the wine was a real gem of a find from Orbost licensed grocer $34 for a 1995 vintage wine Penfolds bin 128 or something. It even had a real old fashioned cork in it....

Marty. I can walk again!
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes