Woodford Circuit.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Woodford Circuit.

Postby kanangra » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 10:01 am

After heavy overnight rain I thought it would be good to get out and stretch the legs. I parked the car at the Woodford Stn. and headed off down the Oaks Trail. It's in much better condition these days. I turned left at the St Helena Trail and followed this out to the turn off to the Crater. Here I left the main trail and followed a footpad out to Bunyan Lkt passing the Bullant and Lost World turnoffs on the way. Descended via the Kings Link Track, which is a very well made track that deserves more use, to Glenbrook Ck which I crossed at the rock bar. Once on the other side i picked up the track which I followed upstream to the Perch Ponds. Then I continued on to the Sassafras Ck junction and then the Numantia Ck junction. From here the track headed up and out to Faulconbridge stn. From there I made my way back to Woodford Stn. following old trails including a stretch of the original Coxs Rd from 1814. An excellent circuit.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Woodford Circuit.

Postby johnw » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 10:25 am

Good work kanangra. Numantia Falls is also worth a visit if you haven't done it. Should be a good flow after the rain. Did you go into the Crater as well? I originally had half a plan on Saturday to visit the crater starting from Martins Lookout. But a few domestic things got in the way meaning a late start, so a bit short of time. Instead did Glenbrook Gorge > Tunnel View/Mt Portal via a ridge from the gorge > Found the highest point on Mt Portal > Euroka > Fern Glen/Nepean Narrows > Back via the more standard route from Euroka. A pleasant half day out.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 10:55 am

John,

I have never seen Numantia Falls. On your recommendation I will walk up the creek next time and take a look at them. I didn't pop into the Crater. The road in looked as if it had been graded to me. I heard they were working on removing the weeds in there? Last time I was in it was almost covered in bracken and blackberry. Just enough space for a couple of tents that was all. Lost a pair of sunnies in there too. Had you taken your original route our paths would have crossed. I was at the foot of the Martins LO track at 8:30.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 11:31 am

kanangra wrote:I didn't pop into the Crater. The road in looked as if it had been graded to me. I heard they were working on removing the weeds in there? Last time I was in it was almost covered in bracken and blackberry.

Yes, that is also my recollection from my only previous visit, which was at least 5 years ago. I'm aware of efforts that started to restore it, so interested in having another look. Although I believe that the work may have stalled for now.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes