Dead Horse Gap to Cascades Hut

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Dead Horse Gap to Cascades Hut

Postby Lizzy » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 9:33 am

On Sun/Mon 5th - 6th June I headed down to Kosci NP to see what winter walking is all about. After a 5.5 hour drive I left the car at Dead Horse Gap (a few minutes past Thredbo). It was nearly 2pm and the weather was beginning to look a bit ominous with the wind picking up so I set off and began up the Cascaded Trail. The trail is a 4WD management trail that follows the Thredbo River, cosses it & then begins the climb up Bobs Ridge. Track notes courtesy of Wild Walks
http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-an ... e-hut.html
I passed the only people I saw about 30 minutes into the walk & they had just been for a little stroll but decided to turn back. Up on Bob's Ridge the wind was blowing & snow starting to fall so I continued on, wanting to get to the hut before the weather got any worse, or darkness descended. Winding down from Bob's Ridge there was a group of Brumbies in the valley, not much other wildlife about. The hut was a welcome site at about 4.30pm- I quickly dumped my stuff in the hut & then put my tent up directly in front, wary of tree brances in the blowing wind. A light smattering of snow was still falling - looking promising for tomorrow.... it was very handy having the use of Cascades Hut- inside it has a sleeping bench big enough for say 4, a fireplace and table. I decided to camp out but did my cooking (on stove) in the hut & was fun to read the comments in the log book- lots of school groups pass through doing Summit to Sea challenges. Well I wasn't going to be cold this trip (after freezing my butt off in the Western Arthurs last Dec) so I had 2 sleeping bags- my Monbell 30 degree & a SD nitro 30 degree bag, my thermarest neoair + thin closed cell underneath, tent with no mesh, light down jacket, fleece jacket and pants & thermals!!! :D
Anyway I went to bed with snow falling and when I woke the tent was VERY dark- yep SNOW!!! I opened the tent door & snow had transformed the area into a wonderous winter wonderland :D :D
So after packing up- out came the Yowies and I got to stomp thru the snow. Unfortunately it wasn't really deep enough and they kept getting clumped up with snow/dirt under the crampon bits and it was a bit like walking on high heels :o (which I am not very good at at the best of times!) So it required constant banging with my walking pole to dislodge it. But it was fun & they were easy to walk in. Finally I decided to take them off and just wear my boots which was fine too. Weather on the Monday was superb & I took heaps longer enjoying the dramatic change and taking lots of photos. This time I saw some deer and a few birds. I followed the same track back to the car which was now covered in snow and then had the long drive home, but thinking of future trips....
Cheers
Lizzy
snowreportIMG_0001.JPG
Thredbo River
snowreportIMG_0001.JPG (54.73 KiB) Viewed 9054 times
Attachments
snowreportIMG_0002.JPG
Cascades hut
snowreportIMG_0002.JPG (64.91 KiB) Viewed 9054 times
snowreportIMG_0003.JPG
snowreportIMG_0003.JPG (48.55 KiB) Viewed 9054 times
snowreportIMG_0004.JPG
Early the next morning!
snowreportIMG_0004.JPG (35.42 KiB) Viewed 9054 times
snowreportIMG_0005.JPG
snowreportIMG_0005.JPG (51.21 KiB) Viewed 9054 times
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Dead Horse Gap to Cascades Hut

Postby Lizzy » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 9:37 am

A few more pics
Attachments
snowreportIMG_0006.JPG
Yowies
snowreportIMG_0006.JPG (37.08 KiB) Viewed 9052 times
snowreportIMG_0007.JPG
snowreportIMG_0007.JPG (51.83 KiB) Viewed 9052 times
snowreportIMG_0008.JPG
snowreportIMG_0008.JPG (68.31 KiB) Viewed 9052 times
snowreportIMG_0009.JPG
snowreportIMG_0009.JPG (65.53 KiB) Viewed 9052 times
snowreportIMG_0010.JPG
snowreportIMG_0010.JPG (68.42 KiB) Viewed 9052 times
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwalks » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 9:49 am

Nice work Lizzy
Looks like a completely different place on your walk out then on your walk in, I love overnight snow.
I am hoping to do a snowshoe trip this year. Thinking of spending a couple of days out from Munyung on snow shoes. But think I will wait for a tad more snow.
Thanks for sharing your adventure
Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW

Postby Lindsay » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 3:04 pm

Nice one Lizzy. Fantastic scenery and great photos. Makes me want to get down there!
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby johnw » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 3:26 pm

Great report Lizzy :D. I've done that as a day walk in the summer but it can be a little tedious in places. I think your idea to overnight at the hut was a much better one and the snow looks great!
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ninjapuppet » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 6:33 pm

Looks really fun!
Did you manage to spot any trout?
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby north-north-west » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 7:18 pm

Noice!
Next time, follow the river up to Teddys. That's a brilliant area when there's a bit of snow around.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Lizzy » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 7:34 am

Thanks guys!
Ninja- no trout, but then again I didn't really look- my husband would not be please either...
NNW- thanks for the tip- will definitely be giving it another go some time :D
Cheers
Lizzy
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes