RNP - Day walk.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

RNP - Day walk.

Postby kanangra » Sun 22 May, 2011 4:04 pm

I decided to take advantage of this glorious autumn weather to do a day walk in the Royal on Saturday. We set off from Garie about 7:30 and made our way along the coast to Wattamolla which we reached at 9:00. After a short break we continued along the Coast Track till we reached the Little Marley trail where we turned left and followed it out to the road which we reached at 10:00. Walked down the road a short distance till Mt Bass FT which we followed to its end. there ir became a foot track which we followed to a T intersection. Here we turned left and descended to Winifred Falls. From there it was up to the road once again which we crossed straight over and followed the old pipeline trail down to Audley. Here we stopped by the river for lunch. Then we pressed on up Lady Carrinton Dr. till we reached the turn off fo the Wallumarra Tr which we took. This follows Bola Ck for a while which is very pretty before climbing up and out to the fire trail that leads to Garie Trig. From there we walked down the road for a bit to the Curra Moors tr. which we took till it hit the trail in from the Curra Moors Car Park. Here we turned right and then left to take us back to the Coast Track. this we followed back down to Garie. I completed what had been a glorious day by walking bare foot down Garie Bch. Arrived back at the car just after 4.00PM. It had been a perfect day.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: RNP - Day walk.

Postby Pteropus » Sun 22 May, 2011 6:41 pm

Very nice work kanangra. And a fair distance covered there too!
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby michael_p » Sun 22 May, 2011 7:38 pm

Wow Kanangra. That's a sizable day walk. :shock:

kanangra wrote:...the turn off fo the Wallumarra Tr which we took. This follows Bola Ck for a while which is very pretty before climbing up and out to the fire trail that leads to Garie Trig. From there we walked down the road for a bit to the Curra Moors tr. which we took till it hit the trail in from the Curra Moors Car Park.

I have found it easier to turn left at the end of Wallumarra Track (Garie Trig) and walk the short distance (400 to 500mtrs) down to the Curra Moors Service Trail. I did this when I lead a walk from Waterfall Railway Station to Wattamolla Beach.

At least you finished the day by heading down that damn hill at Garie. :lol:
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby johnw » Mon 23 May, 2011 12:56 am

That's a solid day's walking Kanangra. I didn't bother to add up the distances but Audley to Wallumarra junction on its own is about 10km.
I didn't have much time for walking Saturday due to a medical appointment. Ended up doing a quick lap of Forest Island around 4 pm, long after you had passed through the area. One good thing about RNP is that you can make up interesting circuits using the existing tracks or by adding short-ish off track sections.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kanangra » Mon 23 May, 2011 9:08 am

Yes John that Forest Island has to be one of the special areas in the park. Apparantly it was logged in the early days but the forest has recovered today. I thought the the whole way up Lady Carrington Drive was beautiful. Some really big trees and areas of luxuriant rainforest. Quite a few families out too which was good to see. It was also good to see all the creeks running well. The birds were really singing. It seemed as if the whole bush was alive. Great to be out.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

RNP - Day walk.

Postby Bluegum Mic » Mon 23 May, 2011 12:52 pm

Kanagara that looks like it would have been a lovely day. On the topic (mind you I'm happy to make this a separate topic if need be) is there a nice way to make a coastal/inland circuit ie start at bundeena, camp at north era, then walk back to bundeena on the second day but inland away from coastal walk. I must buy the topo next time I'm at the shops to investigate.

Cheers

Mic
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Mon 23 May, 2011 1:19 pm

Yes I believe there is. You could follow our route as far as the T junction but insread of turning left as we did to go to Winifred Falls you could turn right and go via Anice? Falls I think it is. I don't have the map with me at the moment but that would get you headed back in the direction of Bundeena to make a circuit.

Of course if using public transport you could continue down the Coast Track to the end and catch the train back from Otford to either Sutherland or Cronulla depending on where you had left the car.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

RNP - Day walk.

Postby Bluegum Mic » Mon 23 May, 2011 1:28 pm

Thanks kanagra.

I just thought this might be a nice alternative for two full days vs a longish day and a tiny day (if just doing the traditional coastal walk camping at era and starting one end finishing the other). I'll grab the maps and check this out further.

Cheers

Mic
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes