Three Peaks at Easter

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Three Peaks at Easter

Postby hikingoz » Tue 03 May, 2011 12:46 am

Thought I might put up a post about this trip as it was a good one.

I was introduced to the Three Peaks walk by my mate Chris who has done it once or twice before. I didn't quite realise what a slog it was until I experienced it for myself. I was fortunate to have someone experienced along for the trip.

Camped the night on a rock slab partway along Glenraphael Drive. Awoke at 3.30am on Good Friday and at 4am after breakfast headed on and up the hill to the locked gate at Narrow Neck. Walked in the dark almost until about Taros Ladder. Kept up a pretty brisk march down to the Cox and then headed on towards Cloudmaker. Ran into a large group of hikers along the way coming from Kanangra. Made Cloudmaker at about 2pm friday. Continued on and down, only slowing to negotiate a small buttris along the ridge descending towards the foot of Paralyser. Found thunder bend just on dusk and after negotiating the lush, rocky and nettle filled creek ascended Paralyser in darkness. Reached the top of the ridge and found the summit quite easily. Stopped for the night around 8.30pm. Day 1 took 19 hours.

Awoke at 3.30 sunday morning. My ankle was stiff and sore from an old injury. Borrowed a set of walking poles off Chris and 'nordic walked' my way down Paralyser. We went a bit slow because of this and the sun was well and truly up by the time we got to the foot of Guouagang. More nettles. After crossing the creek we took a pole each and headed up towards the summit. It was pretty easy going. Once my ankle had warmed up it was fine and didn't have any more trouble on the trip. After negotiating the fantastic ridgeline and heading up the last steep bit the scrub was a bit of a pain. We managed to avoid most of it and cut back towards the summit cairn from the other side. I think we made the summit about 11.30. From there we skirted around and then through the scrub onto the faint start of the ridge down. After the long descent we made the Cox about 4pm and then the summit of Yellow Dog about 6.15. We stopped at Mobbs Soak around 8.30 for dinner as there were a few people around and a camp fire.

The final fire trail back to the car was definately the hardest part. With sore feet and cravings for hot food it dragged on a bit. We made it in just on 1am, pitched tent and crashed. Day 2 took us 21 hours. Three Peaks in 45. If we started from the train station we would have been counting the minutes.

Both me and Chris enjoyed the walk. It is a good benchmark hard walk. Already making plans for a faster attempt.
hikingoz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Three Peaks at Easter

Postby kanangra » Tue 03 May, 2011 7:39 am

Congratulations on a great effort. It is a very demanding trip to do in under the 48 hours allowed.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Liamy77 » Tue 03 May, 2011 7:43 am

just buy a kit helicopter - that way you can do it much faster.... and it will still actually be ..er ... well ... FUN?! :lol:

glad you enjoyed it tho :wink:

IMHO a stop watch belongs on an athletics oval :roll: (but only 'cause my body wont set that pace these days :lol: )
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics
Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Tue 03 May, 2011 7:33 pm

Cloudmaker, Paralyser, Guouagong, Yellow Dog . . . isn't that FOUR peaks?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby KayZed » Tue 03 May, 2011 8:39 pm

Congrats to you both. I think the Paralyser camp overnight is a great way to do it. Did Wes Dose catch you up? He went through Guouogang 5 hours behind you targeting 24 hrs (11pm finish). Can't have been far away towards the end.
KayZed
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby hikingoz » Wed 04 May, 2011 11:43 am

KZ I don't recall seeing anyone moving past us. We did run into a few campers and a scout group but that was it. He could have passed us descending to the Cox. There are a few ways to approach the river after descending from the main ridgeline.

24 hours is pretty quick. Good on him if he made it.
hikingoz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Three Peaks at Easter

Postby ninjapuppet » Wed 04 May, 2011 12:01 pm

Man that sounds like a hardcore trip given the timeframe.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby Lindsay » Thu 05 May, 2011 12:13 pm

Is there a map of the three peaks route anywhere? I have found numerous trip reports and have worked out some of it however a map would be better. I'm toying with the idea of doing it in slow time and then eventually attempting it sub-48 hours.
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby hikingoz » Thu 05 May, 2011 1:18 pm

Lindsay. Don't know of any online map PDF's or similar. The NSW 1:25000 series maps should be all you need to Navigate the route. I reckon this site has a pretty good summary of the route <http://members.ozemail.com.au/~aburke/3Peaks/index.htm>. Trip described as 'Route 1' on this site is the same as the one I took. The route would be a fine slow walk, plenty of camping and bivvy spots although they are mostly without water. Saw plenty of wildlife and heard a few dogs as well. Up to Cloudmaker there is a pretty clear track. From Paralyser along and back to the Cox there is no trail and navigation is required.
hikingoz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Thu 05 May, 2011 2:13 pm

Lindsay wrote:Is there a map of the three peaks route anywhere?

So far I've only been as close to there as Mt Dingo and K Walls, and probably won't do this trip. But I like a challenge so I did manage to hunt down a couple of sketch maps:

http://nimbinbushwalker.byethost7.com/3peaks.html
(Click link near top of page for map)

http://www.ozhistorymine.com/html/three_peaks.html

Also forum member Dave Noble has a well written Three Peaks page on his site, which sounds like wisdom born of experience. It includes a sketched elevation profile of the route:
http://www.david-noble.net/BlueMts/Coxs/The_Three_Peaks.html
Last edited by johnw on Fri 06 May, 2011 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lindsay » Thu 05 May, 2011 11:25 pm

Thanks for that information team. A reconnaissance trip will have to wait till next spring probably, and after that I will see if the actual callenge is a viable option . :D
Lindsay

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes