RNP - Coast Track

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

RNP - Coast Track

Postby kanangra » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 5:55 pm

Did this walk today. Had forgotten how good it is. Overcast day with showers but that didn't worry us. Started at Otford at 7:30 and finished at Bundeena just after 2:00. Track has been greatly improved at least since I was last on it. The camping at Nth Era looks great; even has toliets. Amazing that this walk is so close to Sydney. The beaches are beautiful. Not quite the weather for swimming but in summer would be great.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: RNP - Coast Track

Postby Greenie » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 7:17 pm

Were there many people on the walk, being Easter time? I was thinking of doing this walk as a overnighter. But more I read about it, it looks like I could do it in a day. Maybe not at kanangra pace though :-)
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 8:37 am

Greenie,

There were a few but not as many as I thought. Perhaps the early rain put them off? There were 3 parties on the 7:30 train out of Otford. All day walkers like us. There were only a couple of overnight parties that I saw. There were a couple of large groups who looked to be doing shorter sections. They were mainly Asian people. Most of the through walkers were couples. Even though it can be done comfortably in a day I think overnight would be excellent. If so I would recommend camp at Nth Era. Perhaps the idea is to leave from Otford about lunchtime giving you plenty of time to walk into Nth Era to camp, and then walk through from there to Bundeena the next day? Other spots you could camp are at Curracurrang though these were small and at the northern end of Garie. There were also spots at Marley but I'm not sure if camping is permitted there.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Greenie » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks Kanangra.

I like the idea of leaving at lunch, as I need to travel from up north.

I also have a new second hand tent that needs another outing. I've only used it in clam weather, but imagine it could get rather breezy at North Era? I know you have had experience with the Vela 1 ;-) . How does it handle the wind?

Greenie
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Tue 26 Apr, 2011 12:50 pm

kanangra wrote:...Other spots you could camp are at Curracurrang though these were small and at the northern end of Garie. There were also spots at Marley but I'm not sure if camping is permitted there...

Although there are occasional spots along the Coast Track that look inviting, such as Marley, unfortunately the only location where camping is permitted is North Era.
The only other authorised walk-in/remote campsite in RNP that I know of is at Uloola Falls, but it's a long way inland from the coast.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eddie the eagle » Tue 26 Apr, 2011 1:28 pm

Have walked Uloola Falls to North Era, John.

It's about 18km/4-5 hrs with a walk of about 4-6km into oncoming traffic.

Yes, you are correct. There is only one authorised camp site on the Coast Walk, and that is North Era.

Cheers,

eddie
eddie the eagle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes