Budawangs walk

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Budawangs walk

Postby juju » Sun 10 Oct, 2010 8:09 am

My son and I finally got to see Monolith Valley and The Castle two weeks ago, just after they opened Morton National Park again after some storms had closed the south eastern entry point.
We drove into Morton from Milton after lunch on Wednesday and stopped at Pigeon House. Our return walk to the summit took 3 and a half hours and we had about five minutes view at the top before clouds swamped us. It was enticing, looking across to Byangee and the Castle, knowing we would finally be going up there. We saw three Lyrebirds on the way.
We make camp in the dark at Long Gully and the next morning my son couldn't find his camera so it was back up Pigeon House! We found his camera on the ground near a cave he'd investigated off the track. We'd had a small smattering of rain, but it was fine.
Friday morning we started our overnight to Cooyoyo Creek. The track was quite easy to follow though compact and sometimes pack grabbing and the tricky bits they talk about in the track notes I had appear to have been side tracked with only a short chain climb of perhaps five metres at the end of Kalliana Ridge.
We were the only ones going up that day and as I looked at the beautiful terrain in front of me I wondered if I should have got a plb. There were loads of wildflowers (as there were at Pigeon House) and a wombat and an as yet unidentified snake, huge, black, unhurried to get out of the way.
We had started out from Long Gully at 11am and as usual I thought we were further along the track than we were and had plenty of time for exploring and picture taking...
Got into Cooyoyo just before sunset, early enough to see the beautiful scene from the lookout at the edge of the campsite. Astonished to find a toilet, and glad - no finding other peoples paper creations...
It was a wild night with huge winds that hardly buffeted our old pea pod, a great tent.
After podge in the morning we set off for Monolith Valley. The track again compact with some deviations all heading in the same direction through rain forest pockets and Nibelung Pass across to Mount Cole and the track to Mount Owen. We continued to Seven Gods Pinnacles for lunch.
The route between the junction of Mount Cole and Owen is full of tracks and NPW are attempting to keep people to one track but it's difficult to know which one...
When we got back to the Castle saddle we had time for a quick look at the Castle. Not realizing we could have gone round Meakins Pass (there is a track up and around from the Castle saddle) we went way back to the tunnel track on the west side of the tail, climbing up a chimney and down a rope to meet the Meakins Pass track on the east side of the tail.
The Castle climb is quite okay until a pyramid shaped rock with a scary largish empty space under it and nowhere to attach a rope.
We had met up with some other walkers (younger, fitter, stronger, braver than me) and my son continued to the top with them. I stayed behind with another younger, fitter, stronger girl who wouldn't go up. My son showed me the photos from the top...
We shared the camp with ten others that night and the wind until bedtime when it quietened.
The next day we left Cooyoyo about 9am. On the way down we stepped over a log, raised in the middle, about a foot high, on which was a now familiar cube shaped wombat 'scat'. It's amazing how these short, fat, stubby creatures can perform the acrobatics they must to place their cubes in the most extraordinary places.
It was a good walk, a variety of landscape and walking. As the walk guide said we averaged 5km - woops :oops: - 1km an hour in interesting terrain with an all body workout, the sort of walk I like.
On the way back home we went to Bungonia and went down into Grill Cave. Now my son wants to be a Speleologist?
Mount Owensml.jpg
On the track looking toward Mount Owen
Oaky Creek West sml.jpg
Near the top of Oakey Creek
Panaramasml.jpg
Panorama from Cooyoyo creek camp with Pigeon House and Byangee right
Mon Valley 1xsml.jpg
Monolith Valley rainforest
Mon Valley 1xsml.jpg (132.7 KiB) Viewed 5749 times
Attachments
castle tail.jpg
The Castle tail (centre)
Last edited by juju on Sun 31 Oct, 2010 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
We'll get fit on the way.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Buddawangs walk

Postby iandsmith » Sat 30 Oct, 2010 9:56 pm

Some evocative stuff there, thanks for sharing. Loved the last pic.
Cheers, Ian
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Buddawangs walk

Postby juju » Sun 31 Oct, 2010 7:01 am

Ta Ian. Have you done this walk?
The last pic is my favorite, showing the tail of the castle from the first height above the track.
I loved this walk and look forward to returning to see more of the Buddawangs and maybe climb that castle, Julie
We'll get fit on the way.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Budawangs walk

Postby PeterJ » Mon 14 Nov, 2011 7:37 pm

Here is another report on a walk in the Budawangs.

The walk from Endrick entrance and was a circuit via Foster, Styles Creek, Hidden Valley and Quiltys

I posted the actual details on another page of the forum.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes