Griffins Farm- Kangaroo Valley

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Griffins Farm- Kangaroo Valley

Postby Lizzy » Wed 29 Sep, 2010 5:07 pm

Just a quick report- I took my 6 year old son on his first overnight hike. He did a great job with his little pack- he only carried his clothes & killer whale while I carried the rest (yes that is why I am trying to become more lightweight :D ). We drove to the end of Jacks Corner Road (past Bendeela pumping station) and walked the fire trail for a few km's, then onto a bush trail which he loved- obstacle course as he put it! It was quite steep and took us to the creek with a few stepping stones- he managed to slip in (but I can't talk- I did too on my recon mission the week before :oops: ). Then it was along fire trail to the ruins of the old farm- took us about 2hr 45mins including a lunch break. The old farm has a huge flat grassy camping area beside a creek. It is great for afternoon frisbee + wombat chasing- that was the little mans favourite activity. He's an early riser so we were on the track this morning by 6.45am and after crossing the creek we had to tackle the big hill. A bit of moaning and groaning- but really he did great :D we got to the top[ and then back along the firetrail to the car.
A great first overnight hike with a great camping spot all to ourselves.
Cheers
Lizzy
Attachments
IMG_3908.JPG
The flat grassy, wombat mown camp area
IMG_3898.JPG
Backpack, map, ready to hike!
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Griffins Farm- Kangaroo Valley

Postby melinda » Wed 29 Sep, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi Lizzy,
That is so cool!
Congratulations on getting your son out there.
I'm sure you are giving him experiences that he will value all his life!
PS. SBW puts on the occasional kids walk every known and then. (Usually members with their kids.)
They are always well attended, the kids seem to have a ball.
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Lizzy » Thu 30 Sep, 2010 7:00 am

Thanks Melinda,
We have taken him and our 4year old out canoe camping on the Shoalhaven a few times now but I was keen to get him on the trail. Was thinking of taking both boys but am glad I didnt- would have ended up carrying 4yo and would need a donkey with packs etc! :lol: Looking forward to more adventures- so if you have any other ideas with a shortish walk and nice campspot in the Illawarra/Sydney/Blueys area....
Cheers
Lizzy
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby climberman » Thu 30 Sep, 2010 7:22 am

Great Liz, possibly jsut the spot I have been looking for with my own tin lids. Thanks for posting the report.
climberman

Postby kanangra » Thu 30 Sep, 2010 12:35 pm

He's a lucky boy. How cool is that.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mountnman » Wed 24 Nov, 2010 8:05 am

I camped down there last night. It took me an hour and thirty-five minutes to get there, and an hour and twenty minutes on the way back. I didn't stop for lunch or have a six year old tagging along either though!!! :D

It was the first time I had been down there and was pleasantly surprised. Lots of wildlife. Saw the wombat, butterflies, and from the campsite I was going down to the river in my shorts and sandals (as opposed to boots, thick socks, gaiters, long pants, etc), and saw a black snake (the colour black - not necassarily the species), and I don't do snakes at the best of times, let alone in sandals and shorts!!!! :shock: Heard kangaroos bouncing around in the bush in the morning, and always heard some sort of bird at any one time.

I have come to the conclusion that it is IMPOSSIBLE to cross Yarrunga Ck without falling in. I fell in twice, on the way there and back. So trudging home this morning with wet feet......

Will definitely be taking the family down there at some stage.

Here are some pics.... (sorry for the quality. Left the camera at home so only had the mobile)
Attachments
Photo0279.jpg
yarrunga ck
Photo0281.jpg
campsite
Photo0289.jpg
sign
Research has shown that men usually sleep on the right side of the bed.
Even in our sleep we happen to be right....
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Drifting » Wed 24 Nov, 2010 7:58 pm

Lizzy- may I ask what brand of pack that is?

I'm really looking forward to some more overnighter's with my 6yo!
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting

Region: Tasmania

Postby Lizzy » Tue 30 Nov, 2010 11:11 am

Hi Drifting,
The pack is a Kathmandu 'Hobbit' 20 L which I got at last years post-Christmas sales (trying to remember how much.... $30 or $40 I think?????). Did the job nicely- has 2 side water bottle pckets, zip up lid pocket and one main compartment. Also has thin waist and chest strap. Was a great size f or the little bloke and seems quite durable.
Cheers
Lizzy
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drifting » Tue 30 Nov, 2010 6:43 pm

Lizzy wrote:Hi Drifting,
The pack is a Kathmandu 'Hobbit' 20 L which I got at last years post-Christmas sales (trying to remember how much.... $30 or $40 I think?????). Did the job nicely- has 2 side water bottle pckets, zip up lid pocket and one main compartment. Also has thin waist and chest strap. Was a great size f or the little bloke and seems quite durable.
Cheers
Lizzy

Thanks! My daughter has a Kathamdu 12l I think, but she's a moose and a 20L would be better.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting

Region: Tasmania

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes