Taffy's Rock track, Berowra NSW

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Taffy's Rock track, Berowra NSW

Postby solohiker » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi all,
I recently walked the Taffy's rock track near Berowra NSW and I'd highly recommend it!
There are panoramic views of the Hawkesbury River, a trail that was more bush-bash than track, a bit of charming local history, a geocache and some ancient ruins (well, ancient for Australia!).
I have a write-up in my blog with lots of pictures - Hope you enjoy! It's definitely worth the trip.

https://solohikerblog.wordpress.com/2017/03/13/hidden-wonders-along-taffys-rock-track/
I love blogging about my adventures. Please feel free to take a look https://solohikerblog.wordpress.com/
solohiker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Re: Taffy's Rock track, Berowra NSW

Postby michael_p » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 6:10 pm

Thank you for the report. Great photos and good to see the track is pretty easy to follow.

That walk has been on my to-do list for years, I just never seem to able to get around to actually doing it. I really need to get myself into gear and just get this one done.

Cheers,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby solohiker » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 6:25 pm

Thanks! I'd recommend long sleeves and trousers though as the trail is thin and scratchy for much of its length. I had scratches and small cuts on my arm. The video link shows a little taste of what it was like.
So much fun!
I love blogging about my adventures. Please feel free to take a look https://solohikerblog.wordpress.com/
solohiker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 7:20 pm

Yes, in the right season, plenty of spider web through narrow and wooded sections too.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rob Gosford » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 9:34 am

interesting report Solohiker.
I only got to that large tessalated outcrop - about half way along Taffys Track - back in 2013. Turned back, promising myself to return one day to get to Taffys Rock. Never did, lol never will.....way too unfit and old now.

as you found, there are some great views along Cowan Creek from Govett Ridge.

the tessalated rock outcrop.
IMG_7568 (640x480).jpg
IMG_7568 (640x480).jpg (172.94 KiB) Viewed 18906 times

view from the top
IMG_7581 (640x480).jpg
IMG_7581 (640x480).jpg (181.94 KiB) Viewed 18906 times

yes, very spikey !
Long sleeves and pants recommended
IMG_7604 (640x480).jpg
IMG_7604 (640x480).jpg (311.98 KiB) Viewed 18906 times

there is a short way in to the start of Taffys Track on the GNWalk........
instead of starting at Cowan rail and clambering up the ridge from Jerusalem Bay, there is a relatively short track that starts at the F3 Freeway (M1) and runs directly east to join the GNWalk and the commencement of Taffys track. Its called the Campbells Crater Track. But you can't simply pull over on the side of the F3 and jump onto the track leaving your car there. There is instead - directly across on the other side of the F3 (the western side) - a green coloured council/RTA shed. Get someone to drop you there, CAREFULLY cross the F3, and jump onto the track ! head east......

standing on the start of the Campbells Crater Track at the F3 Freeway looking north.
IMG_7435 (640x465).jpg
IMG_7435 (640x465).jpg (207.66 KiB) Viewed 18906 times

map.......
Untitled (800x488).jpg
Untitled (800x488).jpg (154.35 KiB) Viewed 18906 times

and those dinner plate sized SPIDERS ! bbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrr :( :lol:

8)
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kjbeath » Sat 01 Apr, 2017 9:59 am

Continuing onto Taffy's Lookout is also worthwhile but would make a long daywalk. Went out years ago on backpack, had to walk a reasonable way down one of the creeks to find water and then camped on the flat rocks on the creek bed, as the scrub covers everything else. Thankfully no rain.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby solohiker » Sat 01 Apr, 2017 4:23 pm

Rob, that rock was amazing to come across and I have to admit I was puffed at that point and almost turned around when I saw the spider blocking the path! I did think about the shortcut but I wanted to see jerusalem bay again.

kjbeath, amazing you found water. There was nothing flowing up there when I went through though I didn't descend to look for any. The scrub is very thick.
solohiker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby kjbeath » Sat 01 Apr, 2017 6:19 pm

Taffys Gully is shown as a permanent creak but isn't really but there were some small puddles. I've attached a photo of the view from Taffys Lookout. This is an old Kodachrome and the colours are being difficult to get right.

Scan-081211-0025.jpg
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rob Gosford » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 11:05 pm

solohiker wrote:Rob, that rock was amazing to come across and I have to admit I was puffed at that point and almost turned around when I saw the spider blocking the path! I did think about the shortcut but I wanted to see jerusalem bay again.

yeah that tessalated rock outcrop sure is a sudden surprise.
nice rest spot too at Jerusalem Bay near that palm tree, but the climb up from there to the top of the ridge to Taffy's Rock turnoff, can take its toll if not fit :oops:

with regard to SPIDERS, apparently there is an explosion of them right now, due to the hot humid summer gone by, and now the copious amounts of rain we have just had, driving the SPIDERS out from their nests. They warned that its the White Tailed House Spider which is to be avoided at all costs ! When a female of the species lays its eggs........EACH egg can contain 100 baby White Tails ! :shock: Funnel webs can kill you, White Tails can be the cause of leaving you limbless :(

bbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............... :o
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ribuck » Fri 07 Apr, 2017 7:21 am

Rob Gosford wrote:White Tails can be the cause of leaving you limbless :(

Fortunately it seems that's not the case, and that a spider bite cannot cause necrosis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-tailed_spider
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Rob Gosford » Sat 08 Apr, 2017 10:32 am

ribuck wrote:
Rob Gosford wrote:White Tails can be the cause of leaving you limbless :(

Fortunately it seems that's not the case, and that a spider bite cannot cause necrosis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-tailed_spider

as I wrote ribuck: "White Tails can be the cause....."
the synonyms of cause are >>> source · root · origin.
i.e. a White Tailed spider bite can be the 'trigger' for a limb amputation

"White Tails can be the cause of leaving you limbless"
is what was stated (quoted 'more or less') by a spider expert on Sydney radio 2GB talk back last week

I don't wish to get into any more trivial detail than this.
:wink:
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby solohiker » Wed 12 Apr, 2017 7:44 am

Interesting talk about the white tailed spider. My wife was recently bitten by one and ended up in hospital for three days. It wasn't the specific creature causing the bite that put her there though, rather there was a secondary infection that spread across her leg. Very painful and hard to treat. I can see why it can lead to loss of leg.
solohiker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Wed 12 Apr, 2017 1:51 pm

solohiker wrote:Interesting talk about the white tailed spider. My wife was recently bitten by one and ended up in hospital for three days. It wasn't the specific creature causing the bite that put her there though, rather there was a secondary infection that spread across her leg. Very painful and hard to treat. I can see why it can lead to loss of leg.

Yep.
White-tail bites seem to be prone to infection, more so than most spider bites. I've been bitten thrice and they all got infected, although none so bad that hospitalisation was required.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes