Newnes and Glen Davis

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Newnes and Glen Davis

Postby iandsmith » Tue 07 Jul, 2009 4:51 pm

Around the western side of the Blue Mountains is some of the best country in the area. In addition to what I'm covering here there is Dunns Swamp, Fern Glade and several other places.
The two I went to this time are both old shale mines so, in addition to normal bushwalking, you get history thrown in at no extra charge......well, unless you visit the museum at Glen Davis and then it's only a couple of dollars.
For those of you who are twitchers you'll be in heaven. Up to 240 have been recorded in the area.
Attachments
Birds - Red Wattle Bird sp.jpg
Red Wattle bird
Birds - Red Wattle Bird sp.jpg (131.12 KiB) Viewed 16722 times
Glen Davis - Glen Alice 066.jpg
Cliffs near Glen Davis
Glen Davis - Glen Alice 102.jpg
Looking towards Capertee
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Newnes and Glen Davis

Postby iandsmith » Tue 07 Jul, 2009 4:57 pm

Since I can only upload three at a time, here's some more.
Attachments
Glen Davis - retort (3) sp.jpg
Inside the retort (furnace) ruins
Glen Davis - Glen Alice 212.jpg
Autumn colours at Glen Davis
Glen Davis - Glen Alice 212.jpg (98.05 KiB) Viewed 16721 times
Bird - Superb Wren in eclipse plumage (4).jpg
Superb wren in eclipse plumage
Bird - Superb Wren in eclipse plumage (4).jpg (91.43 KiB) Viewed 16721 times
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby iandsmith » Tue 07 Jul, 2009 5:03 pm

These three were all taken at Newnes
Attachments
Newnes 074 sp.jpg
Wolgan Rover at Newnes
Newnes 166 sp.jpg
Fern forest on the Glow Worm Trail
Newnes 216 sp.jpg
Sandstone Formation on the Pagoda Trail
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Tue 07 Jul, 2009 5:06 pm

Nice photos especially the Birds :)
C
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby johnw » Wed 08 Jul, 2009 1:06 pm

Nice photos Ian, I know all of those spots. One of my favourite areas too, although been a couple of years since last visit. Did an overnight trip from Newnes to Glen Davis via Pipeline Pass. How are things now in the Newnes area with the Emirates Wolgan Valley Resort development going ahead?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby climberman » Wed 08 Jul, 2009 3:44 pm

The resort is pretty much hidden behind Donkey Mountain. From memory you'd be hard pressed to know it was there if you are down at Newnes 'towship' or surrounds (coal mines cliffs, coke ovens, etc).
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby johnw » Thu 09 Jul, 2009 12:32 am

climberman wrote:The resort is pretty much hidden behind Donkey Mountain. From memory you'd be hard pressed to know it was there if you are down at Newnes 'towship' or surrounds (coal mines cliffs, coke ovens, etc).

Thanks climberman. Actually Donkey Mountain is something that has been on my to do list for years, but I think I read somewhere that access may now be blocked by the resort (they now own it I think). True?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jerreldulay » Thu 09 Jul, 2009 12:11 pm

Great photos!!! What a treat. I really like the 3rd and 4th ones! The one of the birdy about to take off really catches my eye as well.
Looking for a reliable, friendly bushwalking partner in the Sydney area? Send me an email!
jerreldulay
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby climberman » Thu 09 Jul, 2009 6:54 pm

johnw, likewise, always meant to get up Donkey but was sidetracked by the cliffs further down... such is a climber's lot.

From memory, the resort owns the access but committed to keeping some provision for public access open.. Some internet trawling will find something. If it wasn't illegal to incite someone to break the law, I'd suggest just going and claiming innocence should you be accosted.
climberman

Postby jerreldulay » Thu 09 Jul, 2009 10:27 pm

I'd suggest just going and claiming innocence should you be accosted

Hahahaha! :lol: If that isn't the story of my life, then I don't know what is.
Looking for a reliable, friendly bushwalking partner in the Sydney area? Send me an email!
jerreldulay
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnw » Fri 10 Jul, 2009 1:33 pm

climberman wrote:johnw, likewise, always meant to get up Donkey but was sidetracked by the cliffs further down... such is a climber's lot.

From memory, the resort owns the access but committed to keeping some provision for public access open.. Some internet trawling will find something. If it wasn't illegal to incite someone to break the law, I'd suggest just going and claiming innocence should you be accosted.

Thanks, if this is valid the official position would appear to be:

Concern was also raised in public submissions that the proposed feral fence would restrict public access into the Gardens of Stone National Park and Donkey Mountain. This fence would be approximately 10km long, commencing at Cape Pinnacle and terminating at Tunnel Creek. The fence would predominantly traverse along Wolgan Road and would cross the Wolgan River at two locations. The feral fence is supported by DPI and neither DEC nor DNR object to the fence.

Currently access to the Gardens of Stone National Park and Donkey Mountain is via two locations off Wolgan Road. To maintain access Emirates proposes to install a gate at these locations, with access to be controlled by DEC. Access would also be possible via the resort gatehouse. The Department considers that the measures proposed by Emirates would ensure public access to these areas is maintained and recommends that Emirates continues to negotiate the management of access points with DEC

So I guess access should still be possible, including through the resort gate. When we eventually get around to attempting it I'll ring them first.

climberman wrote:was sidetracked by the cliffs further down... such is a climber's lot.
:lol: We had an avid climber with us on a walking trip earlier this year. His adventure stories had my mental vertigo working overtime :shock:.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Jeff Cottrell » Wed 09 Dec, 2009 4:36 pm

Hi

I know some of the staff at the resort and my understanding is they have built a public car park area on the side of the road and ladder over the fence right at the walking track at donkey mountain so you can park off the road and do the walk up the mountain
Jeff Cottrell
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby johnw » Wed 09 Dec, 2009 10:15 pm

Jeff Cottrell wrote:Hi

I know some of the staff at the resort and my understanding is they have built a public car park area on the side of the road and ladder over the fence right at the walking track at donkey mountain so you can park off the road and do the walk up the mountain

Thanks for that. I'm keen to do this walk when the weather is cooler.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wellsy » Mon 31 May, 2010 12:03 pm

There is public access(carpark) to Donkey mountain via a metal style over the fence. An amazing area of pagodas, chasms(canyons) and caves I've recently explored with members of the Bush Club. You can also see the Emirates resort complex from up on top. Well worth doing.
wellsy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnw » Mon 31 May, 2010 1:11 pm

wellsy wrote:There is public access(carpark) to Donkey mountain via a metal style over the fence. An amazing area of pagodas, chasms(canyons) and caves I've recently explored with members of the Bush Club. You can also see the Emirates resort complex from up on top. Well worth doing.

Thanks wellsy, I'll get there eventually. And welcome to the forums. :)
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby climberman » Mon 31 May, 2010 6:25 pm

Ta Wellsy !
climberman

Postby iandsmith » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 3:31 pm

Wished I'd have gotten back sooner. How long roughly would it take to get to Donkey Mountain from the resort. I'm a fairly brisk walker (just spend too much time taking pictures) if that's any guide.
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flatfoot » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 7:48 pm

I'm heading up there in late September. Will be checking out Donkey Mt and Newnes. From the mud maps of Donkey Mt I've seen it's a maze up there.

I've been visiting Newnes years but have always driven past Donkey Mt.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes