Recomendation for 3 day Blue Mountain walk

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Recomendation for 3 day Blue Mountain walk

Postby Kingsleythelost » Fri 21 Aug, 2015 12:22 pm

I have never walked the Blue Mountains before and looking at getting a bit of a taste for it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a nice 3 day walk taking in the highlights..?

I don't mind some off track walking but would prefer on for the first time in an area. Im imagining there is plenty to see without going off track here.

Ive been looking at the wildwalks site. They have a variety of walks but id like to hear from people about what they liked most. And also how I can pack the most into a three day walk of the region.

Many of the walks loop from Katoomba that would suit me well but im open to other options.

Looking forward to a few options.

Thanks
Kingsley
Kingsleythelost
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Recomendation for 3 day Blue Mountain walk

Postby LachlanB » Fri 21 Aug, 2015 7:54 pm

Do you have your own transport, or will you be restricted to public transport? Both work in the Blue Mountains, but change the walking options a bit (unless you're ok with a really long roadbash).
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Fri 21 Aug, 2015 8:17 pm

Depends on what you consider the highlights - no need to go off track. Agree with Lachlan, transport preferences will help with suggestions.
For example, if you have a car the Wild Dog Mountains is nice for walking and camping and is away from the main tourist hub at Katoomba.
It would be easy enough to design a pleasant 3 day trip there.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Grabeach » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 7:29 am

Not what you asked, but If you're never been to the Blue Mountains and are really serious about seeing the highlights, you'd be better off doing three one day walks than one three day walk.

Make sure two of the days are involve the Wentworth Falls and Blackheath areas. My suggestions;
1. Wentworth Falls area: Valley of Waters, Vera Falls, Hippocrene Falls , Slacks Stairs, National Pass, Valley of Waters. The Hippocrene Falls has some sections where the track has long disappeared. If you're a stronger walker you could go to Vera Falls via Inspiration Point and Roberts Pass.
2. Blackheath area: Govetts Leap, Blue Gum, Perrys, Pulpit Rrock, Govetts Leap OR a longer loop involving Evans L/O and Rodriguez Pass.
Sure, you'll see tourists, especially on a weekend, but that's because these places are the best (in my opinion, of course).

The purists would be horified, but for the third day, perhaps middle one, I'd get hold of a car and sight-see, doing a few shorter walks along the way. Places such as Faulconbridge L/O #, part way up Mt Banks (not the road) or out to the corner above Blue Gum #, Walls L/O, even The Three Sisters very early or late in the day, the lookouts on Shipley Plateau etc.
# Even better if you have a mountain bike.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tom_brennan » Tue 25 Aug, 2015 4:26 pm

The classic overnighters in the Blue Mountains are Blue Gum Forest and Mt Solitary. You can turn them into 3 dayers, but it's a bit of a stretch (people do do them as long day walks).

Mt Victoria to Blackheath or Leura via Blue Gum Forest is a moderate (to Blackheath) or longish (to Leura) overnight walk. Via Blackheath you have various options for exiting - Perrys Lookdown/Pulpit Rock/Popes Glen, Govetts Leap, Evans Lookout, Rodriguez Pass/Grand Canyon/Neates Glen. But three days would be a bit contrived.

A circuit of the Jamieson Valley via Mt Solitary would fill three days, and could take in the tourist spots between Katoomba and Wentworth Falls. But the camping options are all in the 10km between Ruined Castle and Kedumba River, so the middle day would probably be very short.

The Wild Dogs offers more "natural" 3 day walks, but then you're probably looking at some off track or rough track sections. For example, Carlons Farm - Breakfast Creek - Coxs River - Yellow Pup Ridge - Splendour Rock - Mt Mouin - Carlons Farm.

If you could get a ride out to Kanangra, then from Kanangra to Katoomba is a great 3 day walk - mostly rough track, and through wilderness, so you need to be more self sufficient.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 26 Aug, 2015 1:50 pm

tom_brennan wrote:
The Wild Dogs offers more "natural" 3 day walks, but then you're probably looking at some off track or rough track sections. For example, Carlons Farm - Breakfast Creek - Coxs River - Yellow Pup Ridge - Splendour Rock - Mt Mouin - Carlons Farm.

Something like this would be my suggestion too. Maybe replace Breakfast Ck with Ironpot Mtn/Ironmonger Spur.... Similarly could also replace Coxs/Yellow Pup with Blue Dog/Knights Deck, in order to see more of the area's highlights? Heaps of options around there.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tom_brennan » Wed 26 Aug, 2015 2:33 pm

BTW, Kingsley, you'd probably get more responses if this was in the main NSW forum, not the trip reports section. You can raise a request to get it moved.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kingsleythelost » Fri 28 Aug, 2015 10:40 am

Thanks for the great reply's and apologies with my late reply!

I do have my own transport im coming from Canberra...
Kingsleythelost
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes