Bald Rock NP NSW Side

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Bald Rock NP NSW Side

Postby jjoz58 » Wed 22 Jul, 2015 5:56 pm

Hi Guys

Planning a trip down to the Bald Rock NP and wanted to ask a few questions.

What are the rules with regards to walk in bush camping in NSW? The Qld side has a number of designated walk in sites but can't find any over the border.

Are there any places that have reliable water? I presume the Boonoo Boonoo River would be one.

Anyone have any good locations?

Thanks
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Bald Rock NP NSW Side

Postby ofuros » Thu 23 Jul, 2015 12:03 pm

Not a lot of info on the NSW NP's website...which i find very annoying to navigate.
General safety info...http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/safety, click on the 'read more' link, again annoying, just a drop down info button. :roll:
There is a info board with all the walks marked on it as you drive into the Bald Rock NP camp area.
Water sources :- Bald Rock creek, Carrolls ck & Bookookoorara ck on the Nsw side.

You can also use Nsw's Bald Rock NP as a gateway to explore Eastern Girraween via it's easy walking firetrails
with scrambly side trips to various bouldery outcrops with great views if you like that sort of thing.
Long & short circuits available + bush camping.
Water sources....Racecourse ck & Paling Yard ck + tributaries on the Qld side.

A few more walks are available at Boonoo Boonoo NP, plus a waterfall & a great view from Timbarra Trig in the Basket Swamp NP,
both just down the road. Again not much info out there on the Basket Swamp NP.

Maps Queensland 25000:1 Girraween & Wallangarra
Maps NSW Boonoo Boonoo & Bookookoorara
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Maculata » Mon 27 Jul, 2015 10:26 pm

Generally the NSW National Parks Service are not as strict as QLD. You do not need to stick to designated campsites on the NSW side as long as you do not camp within sight of walking tracks or roads.
Having said that QLD Parks generally don't charge for vehicle entry, but NSW Parks can and do for both Bald Rock AND Boonoo Boonoo National Park - you'll be hit up for $7 entry per vehicle into each park. I don't think there's a fee for Basket Swamp National Park though - it's a more remote and low-key park.
Maculata
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby jjoz58 » Mon 27 Jul, 2015 11:03 pm

Thanks for the info. Planning to start on the Qld side so out goes the vehicle entry fee. Good to know about the camping, after 10 days finally got an answer from the local ranger which is basically what you said Maculata.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes