New England after cold snap

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

New England after cold snap

Postby davidfisher71 » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 1:14 pm

New England National Park (east of Armidale) is a very beautiful place, as you can see from the photos in this post.

There was some snow in the area recently, but it was forecast to be clear on Saturday, so I took a quick trip up there on the weekend. I thought I'd share a few photos.

Here's a map of the area:

lyrebird_walk.jpg
lyrebird_walk.jpg (84.66 KiB) Viewed 7244 times

I went anticlockwise around the Lyrebird Walk, starting from Robinson's Knob trail. Soon I noticed a little waterfall up to the right of the track, and climbed up to take a look. Underneath it there was what looked like an ice sculpture. It took me a while to realise it was a tree branch thickly coated in ice; the mist from the waterfall had accumulated overnight.

icy_branch.jpg

Just south of Weeping Rock there was a frozen waterfall with lots of icicles on an overhang nearby, which was a thrill because I've never seen them up close before:

icicles.jpg

icicles2.jpg

I completed the circuit but didn't actually go to Weeping Rock, then I met some other walkers who mentioned that it was covered in white in the morning. So I took a short trip there in the afternoon from Banksia Point picnic area.

When I got there the high cliff was still covered in icicles, but they were melting by that time. There were occasional cracking sounds, and bits of ice would plumet down -- the ground was littered with bits of broken icicles. I was careful not to get hit :-).

weeping rock.jpg

Before I started the walk, I visited Point Lookout to look at the view, and the wind felt kind of arctic -- I wondered what I had got myself into. But it wasn't so bad down in the valley. So I can recommend a trip to New England even if the temperature has been low.
Last edited by davidfisher71 on Wed 22 Jul, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidfisher71
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: New England after cold snap

Postby ofuros » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 8:35 pm

Brrrrrr...but the best season to be out & about. 8-)
Thanks for sharing those pics, davidfisher71.

Sent from my X550 using Tapatalk
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby perfectlydark » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 9:21 pm

Beautiful!
perfectlydark
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby cajun » Tue 21 Jul, 2015 8:54 am

Beaut photos. Thanks for sharing.
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby awildland » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 7:40 pm

Awesome. You are so lucky to have seen weeping rock like that!! Very jealous that we are missing such an amazing, frosty, photogenic winter. Thanks for posting your pics.
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes