Watagans NP with children.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Watagans NP with children.

Postby Kainas » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 3:34 pm

Here is a track report with kids in mind, because I know a few others have been discussing walking with kids. For an adult these are very very short walks, I doubt we did more than 2km.

So we finally got out and did a planned walk with the girls (Eleanor 4.5yo and Harriet2.4yo). We headed up to Heaton State Forest/Watagans NP. We did a 1.5km (I think) circuit from Heatons Lookout and later a 650m circuit at Boarding House Dam. My blog entryis much longer if anyway wants to know a bit more about what the area looks like and how the girls went.

We have been wanting to take the girls for another walk for weeks, finally we had a clear schedule but the weather was miserable (cold, wet, a bit windy). It was drizzling a little as we were driving up, but nothing came of it. It turned out to be really nice conditions for a walk. First stop was the Heaton Lookout. The girls were amazed as they got out of the car, and for the first few minutes all we heard was “Wow”.
20140827-IMG_7735.jpg

We had a bit of trouble finding the start of the track as it is not very clearly marked. We had to walk up the road a bit, and then back again, before finally deciding that this obscure arrow was pointing us in the right direction. This is the type of thing that is not an issue without kids, but with them taking a 100m walk down the road to check something adds 10minutes, rather than 1minute, and increases the chances of boredom and tiring out (thank you to the wallaby that bounced along and provide a point of interest).
20140827-IMG_7744.jpg

20140827-IMG_7748.jpg

The track turned out to be perfect to our needs. The track was very obvious, but it was not a nice clean track, which suited us perfectly. It was overgrown and interesting. It was strewn with leaves, sticks, and other obstacles perfect for keeping pre-school aged children amused. A great game was "over or under" as we made our own choices about whether to step over a vine or under it. We stopped constantly to inspect all sorts of things growing on the track. There was one section of the track when I was a bit unsure about continuing, only because we seemed to be heading down and I was concerned we were not on the loop trail but instead on another much longer one-way track that I knew left from the same area.
20140827-IMG_7793.jpg

My eldest has been begging to go into the bush, to climb the gumtrees that she sees on the side of the road, to climb hills that she sees. We took her on an unplanned walk at Ku-rin-gai NP a few weeks ago but she was unimpressed that we remained on the track. This time, as it was a state forest, I had no hesitation in letting her go off track a little bit. She love the experience and told me on the way home that she liked being off track better than being on it because "Sometimes I can see the track, and even though it is dirt and very small I still know its there”. She took a couple of 2m detours of the track and thought it was very exciting.
20140827-IMG_7787.jpg

My 4yo felt something in her sock which I fished out expecting a bit of scratchy grass, but instead it turned out to be a tiny leech. She carried it with her for quite a while and was very pleased when we got home that my husband had a leech in his sock too... a much bigger one which is now living in our terrarium (after my husband put his foot up and let it have a good feed!).

My 2yo got sick of walking about 3/4 of the way, but we talked her along by distracting her with games. My 4.5yo daughter making up games to play with her. I feel sorry for anyone who might have chosen that time to have a nice quite walk. In fact we did run into one man heading off onto a sidetrack, he gave us some very useful and reassuring information about where the track was headed. It was a very noisy expedition, constant chatter and barely a chance to hear the birds. But then I remember when I was 10yo that my idea of bushwalking was running as fast as I could until I got to the end of it.

Both girls needed to do poos while we are out there. My husband and I had not anticipated this, next time we shall remember to bring plastic bags so we can cart it out, or shovels, or even toilet paper!!

Overall this was an ideal track for little kids. It was wet and slippery and interesting. We saw mushrooms and spiky bushes and moss covered logs. I was very short (I honestly think it was about 1.5km) and it took us about 45minutes to do.
Last edited by Kainas on Thu 28 Aug, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Watagans NP with children.

Postby Kainas » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 3:45 pm

We managed two tracks today. We could have easily done three with them if we had started earlier. The short walks were great, as we got a chance to have a snack at the car, clean up anything, change jumpers (my 2.5yo had fallen over at least 10 times by the time we had finished etc.

We drove down to Boarding House Dam to see the Moss Wall. It was really lovely. I actually have memories of coming up here when I was 16yo as part of a school group. My friends and I ate lunch in a little cave that we found. The teachers thought we were all off smoking, but we were just enjoying the seclusion (if 6 people in a cave is seclusive). The walk here is the Boarding House Dam Circuit and it is only about 650m long. Perfect length for little feet.

The walk was lovely, lots of water, lots of moss, lots of obvious paths. This would be a nice place to let older kids explore (as we were allowed to do in that school group as kids). The paths were much more defined, but there was a lot of fast running water which meant ensuring that the kids were close at certain points. The bridges were slippery enough that I wasn't comfortable with my 2yo walking on it alone (the railings are to stop adults falling, not children).
20140827-IMG_7824.jpg

20140827-IMG_7823.jpg

The moss covered wall was impressive, so long, but so was the rest of the walk, particular in the wet conditions that we were in. It was very dreamy under the canopy, with moss covering just about everything that stood still long enough.
20140827-IMG_7845.jpg

20140827-IMG_7859.jpg

The picnic area had bbqs and was very well equipped, this would make a great place to go to for a picnic.

So two good walks up in the Watagans, and a great start to walking with the kids.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DarrenM » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 4:52 pm

Lovely report Kainas. Brings back memories from my own childhood exploring the Watagans.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby perfectlydark » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 4:34 pm

Those areexcellent reports :) sounds like one to do with my 2 (around the same ages as yours give or take a few months)
perfectlydark
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Pika » Tue 06 Jan, 2015 8:07 pm

Excellent reports.

It is great seeing kids out and about.

We live right near the Watagans and love walking the area.

Heading up tomorrow for a hike and an overnight camp.

I think my kids are a bit older than yours Kainas. Maybe in a few years they can give Abbotts Falls a go?

We did it last week with the kids and it was a great hike. Trip repot here:

http://walkingtheparks.blogspot.com.au
Pika
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes