new spikes on copeland pass

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

new spikes on copeland pass

Postby jonnosan » Sun 17 Aug, 2014 6:31 pm

I took a group on the Gladstone Pass/Lindeman track/Copeland Pass loop this afternoon, when we got to what I thought was going to be the trickiest scramble (a 2M moderately exposed rockface , which often has 2 fixed handlines, just before the upper scramble through a hole in the rock) I discovered three spikes have been fixed into the rock face.

I am sure they weren't there 3 months ago. It certainly made the ascent easier.

In other news, the landslide section of lindeman (on eastern side of Sublime Point) is almost passable at the moment, and someone (not me) has put a whole lot of pink ribbon to mark a track through the ferns. And only 1 leech all day!
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: new spikes on copeland pass

Postby Allchin09 » Sun 17 Aug, 2014 10:52 pm

Thanks for the info Jonno, I'll have to check it out when I get the chance.

I wonder whether Jim Smith has anything to do with it all?
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby Grabeach » Mon 18 Aug, 2014 7:33 am

Jim's thing has always been in restoring constructed tourist tracks. While he has an historical interest in negotiable routes through the major cliff lines, he would definitely not be 'spiking' them.

I consider spikes on Copeland are unnecessary. When working on Lindemans years ago, people used to carry mattocks and Mcleods (and possibly even a chainsaw) up and down Copeland unaided. Just as for ropes on The Castle in Morton NP, if there isn’t someone in the party who can ascend or descend Copeland and set a rope if needed, then they shouldn’t be there.

Are the spikes situated where the rock climbers would descend? Considering the trouble they went to just to save themselves five minutes on the top section of Rock Pile (ruining the ambience in the process), they’d be the first suspects.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jonnosan » Mon 18 Aug, 2014 8:01 am

yes the spikes are on the section climbers use
jonnosan

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes