Engadine Creek Exploration

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Engadine Creek Exploration

Postby Allchin09 » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 2:59 am

Hey all,

This is a write up of a trip I did back in November of 2013. I look a log of the trip whilst walking, and this is a copy of that pretty much word for word, so the style might not be to your taste. However, I've chucked in some photos to hopefully help!

1a.jpg
View down Engadine Creek

After trying twice to park my car on the small fire trail at the right hand side of the road (Princes Hwy), I decided to park at 1449h on the cycle lane. I then headed along the road to a spot where I could view the valley that had enticed me on so many car trips, and the route ahead for today’s adventure. I then headed down the southern embankment to the fire trail below, passing rubbish strewn everywhere, and headed west along the fire trail.

2a.jpg
Along the fire trail

My intention was to leave it where it reached Engadine Creek, just before the falls. At 1512h, I reached the location that I believed was best to turn off, on a gentle right hand bend, just before the fire trail began to rise. There was also a small track on the left hand side which I was to follow, but not before climbing up some large boulders on the right hand side to look at the view.

3a.jpg
Small track off fire trail

Conveniently, the track was followable and it soon lead to a small flowing creek which I assumed was Engadine Creek. The track had spat me out just upstream of the falls.

4a.jpg
Upstream of Engadine Falls

I took some time to explore the interesting formations that the water had sculptured the sandstone into.

5a.jpg
Interesting formation
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers
Region: New South Wales

Re: Engadine Creek Exploration

Postby Allchin09 » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 3:04 am

I then headed down to the waterfall where a 7m drop impeded the way forward. I decided to try and find a way down on the right hand side at 1533h.

6a.jpg
The drop of Engadine Falls

Staying up high, I worked my way through some rock cracks and soon came to a dry rill that looked passable. It lead me to the bottom where an interesting rock overhang was found with lots of clay and fake hand paintings.

7a.jpg
Hand paintings

The falls were then reached which fanned out more than expected. At 1546h, I began to continue downstream.

8a.jpg
Engadine Falls

The going was surprisingly easy, and the walking quite enjoyable as you could walk along the creek, rock hopping without getting wet or being stopped by vegetation.

9a.jpg
The way downstream

At 1559h, a large pool was reached. From hear the creek was more overgrown, but progress at a slower rate than before could be made on the right hand bank. At 1615h, a rock platform was reached and I stopped for a snack. I then continued downstream and at 1622h, came across a large 15cm yabbie which I attempted to photograph before continuing.

11a.jpg
One of many yabbies
Last edited by Allchin09 on Mon 09 Jun, 2014 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Allchin09

Postby Allchin09 » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 3:11 am

By the time I hand reached where a small left hand side creek flows in on the large bend, I had seen another two. Continuing downstream, the going fluctuate and at 1654h, a stream came in on the right hand side and an interesting campsite was found. Cross members hand been lashed between trees to allow a trap to be held up, and multiple hooks had been inserted into the trunks to permit the hanging of a hammock and other items.

12a.jpg
An camp setup

It was here I realised that I had lost my printed scanned map that I had been using, but luckily I had brought a backup which I checked. Horseshoe Falls wasn’t far downstream and at 1712h, the top of the falls were reached.

14a.jpg
The top of Horseshoe Falls

A way down the first cascade on the right hand side was found and I sat next to the shallow pool as I ate and admired the fall from below. Although they weren't as high as Engadine Falls, they had more water flowing over them, and the bottom was more open.

15a.jpg
Horseshoe Falls and the pool below

I set off at 1729h downstream, unsure as to what my route from here would be. As I travelled, the going wasn’t bad so I decided to stick to the creek and follow it down to where it met Kangaroo Creek and the Engadine Track. Most of the creek along this section comprised of rock platforms that were easy to walk along, and at 1811h, Kangaroo Creek was reached.

16a.jpg
The junction with Kangaroo Creek

Here I had a quick stop, checked the map and then headed off up the staircase of the walking track I was to follow on the opposite side of Kangaroo Creek.

17a.jpg
The way forward - Up the stairs

Allchin09

Postby Allchin09 » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 3:18 am

From here the going was fast, with the Robinsons Roundabout track reached at 1833h and Allambie Flats at 1850h. After crossing the Hacking River at Audley Weir, I followed a faint track north along the right hand side of Kangaroo Creek.

20a.jpg
Leaving Audley on a faint track

I then walked passed stone ruins and walls uphill to where an old water tank and 4 chambered concrete water storage structure was found.

21a.jpg
Not quite sure what this is?

Behind this was the track I was after, the old Bridle Track which was easy to follow uphill where it eventually crossed Audley Road and continued to the bottom of the Upper Visitors Centre which was reached at 1918h. I then crossed to the western side of the road and made my way along a faint track to the nearby powerlines. These were easily followed to a house and fenced off area with multiple NPWS vehicles parked inside.

22a.jpg
NPWS Carpark?

A fire trail was met here and followed north which lead to a T intersection at 1938h where I made a left hand turn. A short distance along a cross road was reached where the right hand turn leading to the ‘Fingerboard’ Trig was followed, and the old trig was found just off the fire trail on the left hand side 50m up.

23a.jpg
Fingerboard Trig

After a quick photo, I backtracked and continued along the westward fire trail. The car was then reached after an easy walk at 1952h.

24a.jpg
Nearly there!

The trip along the creek was easier than expected, although it took much longer than what I had expected. It was nice to see a few large yabbies, and the waterfalls and small features were all very interesting. It would be a good introductory off track creek walk.

After the walk, I drove to Stanwell Tops where I completed my first proper abseil, down a 20m cliff, at night, under my Cousin instruction. Fun!

Allchin09

Postby juxtaposer » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 9:18 am

Great little adventure. Neat account. I did Kangaroo Creek top down when I was 14. Hardest day of my life to that point.
juxtaposer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby puredingo » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 6:29 pm

Unreal Alex, A crawchie in the billy would of been spot on for lunch.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 9:15 pm

Nice afternoon out by the sound and look of it but I better get out the map to confer your routing. But why park in the "bike lane"? Or was that the breakdown lane?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Allchin09 » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 9:35 pm

juxtaposer wrote:Great little adventure. Neat account. I did Kangaroo Creek top down when I was 14. Hardest day of my life to that point.

Kangaroo Creek has been on my todo list for a while. Was it worth it?

puredingo wrote:Unreal Alex, A crawchie in the billy would of been spot on for lunch.

I didn't have a billy with me, so I had to settle for vegemite. I have a friend who farma them on his property, are they any good?

GPSGuided wrote:Nice afternoon out by the sound and look of it but I better get out the map to confer your routing. But why park in the "bike lane"? Or was that the breakdown lane?

I guess you could call it the breakdown lane. I called it the bike lane as it has a picture of a bike painted on it at regular intervals and many people cycle in it instead of the road.

Allchin09

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 10:30 pm

Allchin09 wrote:Kangaroo Creek has been on my todo list for a while. Was it worth it?

I think we discussed this not too long ago. We came down from Waterfall Station and followed it until Kangaroo Creek Fall. Then the track was lost. Supposedly it follows the right bank (south side) but quite overgrown.
I guess you could call it the breakdown lane. I called it the bike lane as it has a picture of a bike painted on it at regular intervals and many people cycle in it instead of the road.

I would suggest one needs to take care next time. As a cyclist who rode that route for a good number of years on club training rides, it's quite dangerous when there's a parked car in the breakdown/bike lane. it's easy to induce unwanted contacts. I would particularly caution in the mornings when many cycling bunches are on that road.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DaveNoble » Wed 11 Jun, 2014 11:04 am

Thanks Alex for an interesting report. I have wondered what that creek and the falls are like.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby juxtaposer » Wed 18 Jun, 2014 1:56 pm

re Kangaroo Creek, it was over 40 years ago so I don't have a very particular memory of the details, other than how long it seemed to go on for a skinny 14 year old with no rock hopping experience or scrub toughness. We must have passed through Karloo Pools but mightn't have noticed a track, or we probably did but thought it best we should stick to the creek. So exhausted at National Park Station I collapsed in one of those unstoppable laughing fits. My friend and I hadn't intended to do the creek, but lost the track to Uloola Falls, so we didn't do the very head of it. We did a lot of learning the hard way as teenagers.
juxtaposer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes