Nattai in flood, February 2013

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Nattai in flood, February 2013

Postby Haematocrit » Wed 04 Jun, 2014 8:39 pm

On the last weekend in February 2013 I had planned a solo reconnaissance of Beloon Pass with a view to walking to Yerranderie with my 15 year old daughter later that year. I had in the past made several trips to Ahearn Lookout and had twice camped at Emmett’s flat making the return trip via Starlight’s Trail, but this would be the first time I had explored further downstream than Troys creek. The initial plan was to head out along the Nattai Road (W11E fire trail), spend the night at Vineyard Flat, find my way up to the pass and then return via Starlights. It didn't quite work out as I had planned.

There had been a little bit of rain during the week, and it was raining steadily on Saturday morning. I'm a vet, and clients don't like putting wet dogs in their cars unless it is an emergency, so what had appeared on Friday night a reasonably busy Saturday morning turned out to be a series of cancellations and rebookings for another time and I was able to get away from work at just after 11. I had done most of my packing the night before; but with the rain continuing, and using a single skin one person tent for the first time, I decided to add a tarp to the kit. In hindsight, it was during this repacking that I somehow left my spare pair of socks and undies at home. I would lament the lack of both later.

After a quick bite to eat, I grabbed a coffee (In Picton I recommend R Coffee Co - tell Ryan I sent you) and headed off to Hilltop in the rain. This was the first time in my experience, then or since, that I've had the carpark at the end of Wattle Ridge Road all to myself. I filled in my trip intention plan in the book and headed off through the locked gate at 1pm. It was raining steadily, but with a gortex jacket over a short sleeved merino top and rainbird pants over hiking trousers, I was warm and dry, except for my feet. From the locked gate there is 3 or 400 meters to a second locked gate. This is a wide firetrail in sandstone country and is normally dry, apart from the rare puddle after heavy rain. On this occasion, by the time I had made the second gate my feet were wet. They would stay that way for some time.

Continuing past the pluviometer and up the hill I passed the turnoff to Starlight’s on my left and headed out northwest along the Nattai road. It basically follows the ridge line, winding and gently undulating for about 5km before it starts heading downhill. This section was one long shallow puddle to pad through after another. The rain continued and there was not much to see but the road ahead of me, until I came to a small clearing where there was a branch of the road heading off to the left. I took a short break to eat a hot crossed bun and tighten the shoulder straps of my pack before continuing straight ahead, as the road headed downhill. The next 3-4 km or so has not been well maintained at all.

After the turnoff I had passed there is a fairly steep descent over 300m or so to yet another locked gate. This section and the next 2km or so is quite overgrown and narrow. There has not been a vehicle down here for a number of years at least. A few trees have come down and the trail parallels a gully in which a small creek was gurgling off to the right. The rain seemed to lighten somewhat on this section without stopping completely and I threw back the hood of my jacket and opened my pit zips as it became a little steamy at this point. After descending about 200m over 2km the trail crossed a well constructed ford over the gully; the creek at this point over a metre below the level of the ford.

After crossing the ford the trail again parallels the gully for 50m or so before veering right (north) and continuing downwards, switching more acutely back and forth as the first views of the Nattai valley proper opened obscured by cloud and rain. About a km below the ford the road descends steeply through 5 or 6 switchbacks which have been severely eroded. About half way down this section a boulder the size of a small car almost completely blocks the road making vehicular passage impossible, but even in the wet foot passage is possible. After this section the canopy encloses the road once again until just before the gully (now to the left) joins the nattai river itself.

As an aside it is interesting to note the first of several inaccuracies in published maps of this area. I refer to the Nattai 8921-I-S topo. I have both the second edition produced by the CMA of NSW and the third edition (topo and orthophotomap) produced by the department of lands. For this section the second edition map (correctly) shows the road to the north of the gully previously mentioned. The third edition map (incorrectly) has the road initially to the south of this gully before crossing it after 500m or so.

About 2.5 km below the ford the road now parallels the Nattai river which is audible but only occasionally glimpsed. There is a side track to the left (west; towards the river) which I explored, but has become overgrown. There is no sign of the hut at Middle Flat(on the 2nd edition map), but I did find a packet of cable ties which I left to be reclaimed by their rightful owner.

Continuing north along the Nattai road which was now much more open than the section below the ford, the firetrail again gently winds downwards over 1500 metres to a sharp left (westward turn. About 50m further on there is a large tree across the path and a pleasant campsite. The most obvious route here is SW and I took this path to, after another 50metres or so, cross the Nattai for the first time. The crossing here was at knee depth and opened to a lovely flat to the north of the Alum River confluence. I explored this northwards but found it choked (somewhat) by blackberry. Someone has sprayed here to some effect recently, but there is already regrowth in between the patches out of reach of the sprayer arm. I wondered if this is the "hidden flat" referred to elsewhere by other members of this forum. I found no sign of the hut in lower right grid square 5511 in both editions of the map.

Returning back over the Nattai, I now took the less obvious route north of the tree across the path, which becomes a well defined footpad which meandered northwards for a hundred meters or so through acacia regrowth, and past some well used campsites (including an iron fire-ring) before crossing to the west bank of the Nattai through what proved to be a scrotum depth pool just to the south of a fast flowing streamlet entering the Nattai from the east.

From this point the road though falling into disrepair, is much better defined. Both maps indicate another ford to recross the Nattai to the east bank after 400m or so, but in heavier rain I missed this ford and continued along the well marked open road on the west bank bank of the Nattai for approximately 3.5 km. About half way along this stretch was a very sad looking abandoned box trailer with very flat tires holding a concrete pipe (a reminder perhaps "The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men, Gang aft agley, An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain, For promis'd joy!"). The rain and mist obscured the sandstone cliffs which I would see the next day, but I was making good speed and was in good spirits as I reached the ford to cross to Colley’s Flat.

Here for the first time I was concerned about the river rising, as it was flowing rapidly and seemed wider than I would expect given the slope of the road in and out. With the side trips I had taken it was coming on to 7 o'clock. I was still hopeful of making Vineyard Flat however, and decided to chance the crossing. I carefully sounded my way with my walking poles and was relieved to find that the crossing, while about 15m wide at this time, was at its deepest still below knee height. Colley’s Flat is overgrown with regrowth, but the road itself had been very recently graded and I crossed the 300m to the Vineyard Flat crossing in no time at all.

Here for the first time I encountered a depth marking sign at a crossing. The road dips down to cross the Nattai, and as I turned to the north to sight the crossing, my heart sank to see the 5 ft mark submerged. I was to go no further.

I retraced my steps 150 metres or so to make camp in a grassy area between wattle saplings to the south (high side) of the road.

And then, just for a change, it rained.

Now, I (mis)spent my youth in Coffs Harbour, and it has been known to rain there on occasion. Throughout the whole walk today it had rained, hard sometimes, softer at others, but now as I dropped my pack and quickly set up the tarp over a Darche Hybrid (crap tent) it really started to rain.

Having said that, I was in good spirits. It was wet but warm. I had plenty of food, and half a bottle of red in a platy. I had done some interesting exploring and got almost a far as I had planned. After I had the tarp, tent, neoair xlite and silk liner (it was way too muggy for the sleeping bag I had brought) set up, I cooked dinner as the rain thundered down.

With a belly full of pasta and red wine, and no stars to see through the rain and clouds I decided that I may as well get to bed. It was at this point that I discovered that the spare pair of socks and undies I had been looking forward to changing into had been at no risk of getting wet; because I had left them at home.

…………….

I wrote the above shortly after this adventure. Since then work, life, bills etc conspired to keep me from completing it. Thats one excuse. Looking back, the writing is pompous and pretentious. I hesitated to post it without significant editing. Thats excuse number two. But really, what has kept me from posting this for so long is because I was gutless. I didn’t want to share with anyone that I was scared poo.... But I was. I was in hindsight foolish and ill prepared. I expect well deserved criticism and opprobation. I accept that. But know this too - I was scared.

…………….

That night it rained and rained and rained. I had gone to bed about 9 o’clock with it raining hard, and it just rained harder as the night wore on. The pegs on the tarp worked loose. The Darche Hybrid may be fine in mild weather, but failed spectacularly, in proper rain. I went to bed wet, and just got wetter as the night wore on. By midnight the river had started to roar, (an incredible sound) every half hour or so were huge CRACKS, like lightning, but different, slower, and without the flash; as another tree and another came down. The rain wore on and on until about 5:00 it reduced suddenly to steady, before slowing to a drizzle about 6:00. It was summer. I wasn’t cold, but I was drenched.

I made the best breakfast I could and packed my gear. I put my wet feet into wet socks and then into my wet shoes. I left my pack and explored downstream.

Where I had reached the crossing to Vineyard flat the night before was now underwater. The depth indicator was no longer visible. (NB: it’s gone for good, washed away. There are two dips to cross at vineyard flat, the first I have subsequently learnt is normally dry. This was where the depth indicator I am referring too used to be. I can honestly claim to be the last person to have seen it).

I retraced my steps past my campsite to the crossing I had made onto Colleys flat. Here I was trapped. The river was 50m across, flowing, roiling noisily, with tree limbs and whole trees heading downstream. It would not only be a foolhardy, death defying attempt to cross; but that would put me on the western side of the Nattai, with another crossing to make further upstream, or an attempt at Beloon Pass to get out via the Wollondilly Valley, eventually, a long way south, via Wanganderry Road to Wombeyan caves Road.

So, I considered my options, went back and picked up my gear, and started off.

A glance at the Nattai map will show you that really, its impossible to get lost, heading south, with Grant Head and its sandstone cliffs to the left, and the river to your right; keep going and you will eventually cut the Nattai road. My plan was to head south cross country and pick up the road just before it first (heading north) crosses the Nattai river. It was, (as it turned out), a good plan. It worked. I got home safely. But that’s only half the story.

tbc.
Haematocrit
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Nattai in flood, February 2013

Postby icefest » Wed 04 Jun, 2014 8:50 pm

I'm hooked.

I look forwards to the continuation.

Looking up the Darche Hybrid was fun: ultra lightweight tent that only weighs 1.6kg :S
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby michael_p » Wed 04 Jun, 2014 9:16 pm

Haematocrit,

Don't beat yourself up so much. We all make mistakes and have bad trips. Great story, well written.

Cheers,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 04 Jun, 2014 9:42 pm

Keep going and don't let us wait another 12 months!

There seemed to be a sudden interest in the Nattai here in recent days. All good.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Onestepmore » Wed 04 Jun, 2014 9:55 pm

I've nagged him on numerous occasions to finish War and Peace.

Btw, the Darche has never seen the light of day again. I had it out on the lawn, thinking to 'tweak' it with proper seam sealing, ti pegs, use walking poles instead of the supplied ones, new light guy lines etc. But really, I'd be trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. It's a piece of crap. I don't even want to donate it to the Scouts.

We've since upgraded to much better tents after this episode. I bought him a TT Notch for future jaunts like this, and a Soulo for winter wanderings in the snow country. It's just not worth having rubbish gear, especially solo.

PS, seeing his tendency to 'forget' items he seems to regard as 'optional' (like non essentials such as a map, compass, or a first aid kit, or socks) I think I need to check his pack, much like I do our son's before a scout trip!
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 05 Jun, 2014 3:28 am

Wait! One Stepped on hubby Haematocrit?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kanangra » Thu 05 Jun, 2014 10:54 am

Mate I don't know. Sounds like you had a fair bit of gear there. More than I usually carry :shock: You just can't help bad luck. At least you were having a go! 8) Like the others I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby puredingo » Thu 05 Jun, 2014 7:46 pm

Yeah mate don't be too hard on yourself, I was in a similar situation awhile back (write up is on here somewhere) but instead of total flood I had a LOT of thunder/lightening in hot and windy conditions, I thought the valley would be on fire by morning for sure.

My tent failed too and the wet, chaffing walk out in the morning was hell on earth! But the moral of the story is we lived to fight another day :D
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jackhinde » Thu 05 Jun, 2014 8:26 pm

Don't trust the map below alum flat, probably a few members on here that would have noted that. For that matter, don't trust it back toward mittagong either in regards to fire trails. The hut is a collapsed shed and associated junk toward the back of the flat. Nattai goes up (and thankfully down) quickly due to its relatively small but steep catchment.

Looking forward to the second half.
jackhinde
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes