A Walk in Heathcote NP

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

A Walk in Heathcote NP

Postby Allchin09 » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 5:37 pm

Hey,

Below is a link to a preview video that I made of a walk I did yesterday.

It's in Heathcote National Park, near Waterfall. I will soon upload a full video, but before I do, how many places can you name / recognise in the video?

Here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpMfOo7XNp4

Alex.
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers
Region: New South Wales

Re: A Walk in Heathcote NP

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 6:01 pm

Yesterday? I was on the other side of Princess Hwy... Palona Cave.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby michael_p » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 8:07 pm

Looks good. Can't wait for the full video.

I've never been to the old steam pump. Must go and have a look before it disappears below the scrub forever.

The scrub in HNP has gotten really thick over the last 5 years. My last couple of walks over that way that involved off-track sections were quite hard and tiring.

Pretty sure I could name just about all the featured spots but then again I could make a complete fool of myself and get them all wrong. :lol:
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Allchin09 » Sun 20 Apr, 2014 1:06 am

GPSGuided wrote:Yesterday? I was on the other side of Princess Hwy... Palona Cave.

Well we weren't too far apart then! I was only in the park for the spare three hours that I had in the afternoon though.

Michael - The steam pump and surrounds was interesting. I don't think the pump itself is there anymore, just what looked like the boiler that would have driven the pump.

The scrub along the flanks of the creeks wasn't the best, and one of the ridges I crossed was pretty bad. However, I've come to expect that from Heathcote and Royal NPs...

Why don't you have a guess! Nothing wrong with looking like a fool is there? haha

Allchin09

Postby Allchin09 » Tue 10 Jun, 2014 11:54 pm

Well here's the full video that I put together showings some parts of the walk. I put it together just after the preview, but for some reason I couldn't export it at the time. I apologise for my dodgy filming, my rambling explanations which involve lots of 'umm' and 'arrs', and the nearly 12 minute video length, but hopefully it encourages some interest in the area!

Click on the little YouTube icon if you would like to view it on the usual YouTube website.

Allchin09

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 11 Jun, 2014 8:44 am

Thanks Allchin09! Nice intro to the area. Another on the list.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby michael_p » Wed 11 Jun, 2014 11:21 am

Good video Alex.

Looks like you found the entry point for the old track up Myuna Ck ( I think it's pronounced my-u-na, but that's just a guess). The scrub looks even worse now than the last time I was up there in August 2012. Beautiful area if you are prepared to slog through the overgrown scrub. The old trail runs right along the waters edge and only diverges in a few spots (i.e. to get above the second major waterfall), problem is the scrub is so bad in parts that you have to move away from the waters edge to progress at all. I have drunk water from the creek without treating it and it didn't do me any harm. There are several spots along the creek that would make good camping spots and there are some large camp caves near the bigger waterfalls. Unfortunately the scrub is closing in and even the more open areas are getting overgrown.

You may find this guidebook interesting: http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/7570829?versionId=8713810. The Trove website lists Hurstville Library as having a copy, so I checked and they do: http://libcatalogue.hurstville.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/ENQ/OPAC/BIBENQ?ENTRY=neil%20paton&ENTRY_NAME=BS. On page 137 is a map for this walk which shows the location of two ruins. One on the way up the creek (which I have never been able to find) and the extensive ruins at the intersection of Myuna Ck and Ripple Rill.

Cheers,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes