GRANITE DRIVE

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

GRANITE DRIVE

Postby iandsmith » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 8:24 am

“I can hear voices”, cried Lorraine.
I could hear them too. Borne on the strong to gale force winds, there were sounds, resembling muffled speech. The aura of night only served to strengthen the fear that they roused in our cocoon of a motorhome sitting on an exposed patch surrounded by some of Australia’s great granite formations.
The light of a half moon cast eerie shadows across the monoliths as we parted the curtains and peered outside in vain, ever seeking the possible intruders. Would this be our last night on earth; what weapons might they be carrying, what damage did they seek to do to us? The fear of the unknown pervaded our house on the hill as it rocked, buffeted by the constant air movement, the spectre of doom ever apparent.
Sleep came fitfully; the constant uncertainty rattled our brains. Yet there was no-one. In all the hours we’d been here there had been no-one; not a car, not a person, only a scuttling rabbit and the ghosts of the wind.
A grand old tree nearby was flecked by the bristling stars of a clear country night sky; its rustling leaves causing them to appear and disappear constantly. The grasses bowed to and fro, their seeds scattered by the advancing air. Surely, there would be an easing by morning; but there wasn’t.
We’d arrived here because years ago I’d been on this very tourist loop but I couldn’t remember exactly where it was. There was a rock I’d wanted to photograph; thought it was Wave Rock or Dripping Rock. I quizzed certain tourist bureaus but I was sure it had been at Tenterfield. Eventually I got onto a lady who tipped me off; Draining Rock! No wonder I couldn’t remember it.
Draining Rock (18) (640x424).jpg
Draining Rock
Draining Rock (18) (640x424).jpg (252.13 KiB) Viewed 6097 times

It claims to be the 2nd largest lump of granite, but it also has streaks down the western side. Lorraine and I determined that sunset and possibly sunrise would provide the best light so we headed out on Granite Drive after an excellent meal at the Green View Bistro (aka the local bowling club).
There were other formations en route; in fact, if you’re into photographing granite rocks, this 30 km drive, with half on slow dirt, could be exactly what you’re looking for. Frankly, at times, they were tantalizing with their shapes and we spent over an hour photographing before we even got there.
Granite Drive panorama (640x173).jpg
Would you drive to see this?
Granite Drive panorama (640x173).jpg (121.55 KiB) Viewed 6097 times

The area of Draining Rock is surrounded by several tors topped with assorted boulders; a smattering of often dead eucalypts, their weathered hides indicating better times before a devastating bushfire. Were it in a different place one can’t help but feel that the area would be a serious attraction.
We watched the sun set, hopeful the morning would provide good light.
Granite Drive (4) (640x424).jpg
Just another rock on Granite Drive
Granite Drive (4) (640x424).jpg (220.65 KiB) Viewed 6097 times

MANY FACES
It was suggested that I might like to go for a walk while Lorraine roused herself. Lord knows, I was having trouble coming to terms with the new day due to the lack of sleep as well; but I grabbed the camera and clambered around nearby rocks that we’d been past yesterday, seeking new angles, new light.
I found some and was happy when I returned; then it was suggested I might like some more time, so I took up the offer and walked off in the exact opposite direction, across the road beside a different massive cluster, but it didn’t seem to offer a great deal so I followed sheep trails up higher until I reached a fence. Here was an expansive view over an area we’d passed yesterday. There was much more of interest here so I pushed on down the slope, struggling in my inappropriate footwear, my feet slipping in the sandals at inopportune times until I reached another fence and decided to explore further as there was a rock of possibility 30 metres ahead.
I took some pictures of it and saw yet another 50 metres on. This would be my last I determined as I scrambled across dead branches, noting the rock had changed. When I reached it my joy knew no bounds. For every metre you moved around this obscure natural sculpture, it changed completely. Never had a seen a rock with so many facets. Dali and Picasso would have been in raptures I was sure over its mesmerizing abstract shape.
Granite Drive (58) (640x424).jpg
Facet Rock
Granite Drive (58) (640x424).jpg (235.81 KiB) Viewed 6097 times

Here was my personal nirvana, a rounded end here, an overcooked sausage shape there, a cut out with three deep grooves and the other end, the remnants of the grooves laying beneath, the dawn light playing across the lichen speckled upper surface; it was all a bit special.
I pondered that this one rock had more going for it than the whole Devil’s Marbles, a major Northern Territory tourist attraction, yet probably fewer had seen this than had climbed Mount Everest; more a reflection perhaps of what publicity can do, for surely this tourist drive, even in its dilapidated condition, was worthy of far more traffic. We had been here 15 hours and no other vehicle had been past. The area was worthy of being declared a national park yet I doubted it would be mooted in my lifetime.
Granite Drive (9) (424x640).jpg
Morning light
Granite Drive (9) (424x640).jpg (273.47 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: GRANITE DRIVE

Postby MickyB » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 10:26 pm

Great photos iandsmith and nicely written. Looks like a very interesting place.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby sanbot » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 10:46 pm

Looks fascinating. Gives Australian landscape a different feel. It reminds me of my drive to Snowy Mountains. I would see granite tors not just near the higher elevation areas near the mountains but even in odd places like dry, arid and desolate environments and be curious how they got there.

Which area is this?
sanbot
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby iandsmith » Thu 27 Feb, 2014 7:45 am

It's a tourist drive west of Tenterfield though it's not pushed by the local tourist centre.
It's also all dirt where the interesting bits are and you need to wander around (no problem on this site) to see some of the better formations.
I'm hoping next time to actually clamber over Draining Rock; 1st time I was just passing and this time the weather was foul.
Hope you enjoy the extra pics
Cheers, Ian
Attachments
Granite Drive (26) (640x424).jpg
Love having the motorhome to return to!
Granite Drive (26) (640x424).jpg (294.14 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
Granite Drive (89) (640x424).jpg
Paint style photo
Granite Drive (89) (640x424).jpg (318.37 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
Granite Drive (24) (640x424).jpg
The weathering is interesting
Granite Drive (24) (640x424).jpg (238.64 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
Granite Drive (70) (640x424).jpg
Facet Rock
Granite Drive (70) (640x424).jpg (247.88 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
Granite Drive (50) (424x640).jpg
Pointer to the past
Granite Drive (50) (424x640).jpg (281.89 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby phan_TOM » Thu 27 Feb, 2014 9:46 am

Great stuff Ian, thanks for sharing.
It's such beautiful country and hard to go wrong if taking photos is your thing, there are endless possibilities, shapes, textures etc. I find myself drawn back there a couple of times a year and can't imagine getting tired of it any time soon. We'll be heading out there shortly as well, as soon as the next school holidays are over and we are guaranteed a few days of it to ourselves - as you mention it's funny that it's such a lovely place but doesn't seem to have the number of visitors that you would expect. No complaints here!
great looking camper you have too, I bet that it's a very civilised way to do some exploration.
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes