Dione Dell and Upper Christys Creek

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Dione Dell and Upper Christys Creek

Postby Allchin09 » Sun 29 Dec, 2013 11:49 pm

I spent the last few days doing some canyoning with in the Blue Mountains. The first area we visited was Dione Dell with the intention of completing the canyon and then following Christys Creek all the way down after bypassing Margaret Falls, to the Kowmung. From here we were to return via Arabanoo Creek.

We completed the canyon of Dione Dell and with it being my first at abseiling whist canyoning, it was just fantastic. From there we spent a few hours traversing around the right hand side of the impressive Margaret Falls (named after Myles Dunphys wife) which stands at over 100m high. I believe that the left hand side may have been a better route around the falls.

The descent was quite difficult, and upon reaching the bottom, it was realised that progress further downstream via Cronus Falls was better not attempted. We instead made our way back up to Tortitan with magnificent views along the way, up onto Mt Wallarra where we made camp in a cave after collecting water.

The next morning we attempted to reach Dunphys Lookout, but after battling the heath and scrub, decided that a rock platform that we had reached with great views just short of the Lookout was good enough. After enjoying the outlook, we then made our way back towards the car after joining the Dione Dell track just above the first abseil.

Photos and descriptions of the trip can be found here
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers
Region: New South Wales

Re: Dione Dell and Upper Christys Creek

Postby DarrenM » Mon 30 Dec, 2013 3:31 pm

Awesome trip guys!
Thanks for posting it up.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides