Main Range Circuit

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Main Range Circuit

Postby bigkev » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 7:16 pm

Cup weekend in Melbourne provided me with an opportunity to head up to the Main Range and revisit an old favourite, the Main Range circuit via Thredbo, Mt Townsend, Blue Lake, and Charlottes Pass.

The first night I camped on the ridge between Muellers Peak and Mt Townsend, the second night I camped on the Snowy River near Charlottes Pass, and I was out on the third day in time for lunch at the bakery at Thredbo. My total distance for the walk, including side trips was about 46 kilometres.

There was still lingering snow, particularly going up to Mt Townsend, but it was just a matter of picking my way around the steeper sections. The weather on the walk however was perfect, with not a drop of rain.

I basically followed Chapman's notes, and have written up a more detailed trip report here http://hiking.topicwise.com/doc/Goinferalonthemainrange with about 70 pics.

DSC_0154.JPG
Lake Albina

DSC_0212.JPG
Blue Lake

DSC_0284.JPG
Mt Townsend from near Seamans Hut

DSC_0292.JPG
Hardcore walkers only on the track.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Main Range Circuit

Postby Onestepmore » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 8:11 pm

Nice little circuit Kevin
It looks lovely with the remnants of snow, especially around the lakes

Is that a trolley bag that dude is towing?
Last time we were there we saw all sorts of odd gear. One guy was slogging along in gumboots. Many in jeans and no hats or gloves with sopping wet hair in the sleet. A group of dejected Koreans in matching flapping plastic orange radiation suits that had all torn at the crotch.
And I felt sorry for those who made the trek up to Kosci with heavy tripods only to have everything completely shrouded in cloud.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby bigkev » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi OSM,
He's towing an Esky with wheels, I'm not sure if he had his lunch in there or maybe he was planning to ride it down some of the snow drifts!?

The Snowy Mountains Charity motorbike ride was on the weekend that I was there so there was all sorts making the trek out to Kosi, unfortunately I didn't get a photo of the biker on the Crackenback lift with his pet dog, complete with patched leather vest!

By the way, I hope you have a great time down in Patagonia, I'm very jealous.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Onestepmore » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 10:33 pm

I was jealous of your Patagonian write up!
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Mon 25 Nov, 2013 3:36 pm

BigKev,

I just read the full report. Really enjoyed it. Magazine style, very good. My favourite time of year up there. Still a bit of snow about and the march flies and crowds not yet out.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bigkev » Tue 26 Nov, 2013 5:10 pm

Hi Kanangra,

Thanks for reading my report, I keep it pretty simple as the site that hosts it isn't a hardcore walking site.

I agree that this is the best time of the year in the alpine country, enough snow to make it look interesting, some wild flowers out, and yeah, no flies or crowds!
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Giddy_up » Tue 26 Nov, 2013 7:45 pm

bigkev thanks for that great trip report and great photos, it sure is beautiful up there and your timing looked spot on. Well done and thanks for the share.
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby bigkev » Wed 27 Nov, 2013 5:05 pm

Hi Giddy_Up,

Thanks for checking out my report, I'm glad you found it interesting.

The timing was a fluke, when ever I get a long weekend I'm off somewhere, but I certainly got lucky this time.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sanbot » Tue 10 Dec, 2013 11:27 am

Beautiful pictures. I checked out your detailed trip report and there were pictures of some rocky parts which looked fun. Is there much of that?
sanbot
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bigkev » Tue 10 Dec, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi Sanbot,

The only two spots where I had to actually climb up rocks were North Rams Head and Mt Townsend, when I was there the snow was more of an issue. If you want to do a bit of scrambling there are plenty of places just off the track to play.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 5:28 pm

sanbot wrote:Beautiful pictures. I checked out your detailed trip report and there were pictures of some rocky parts which looked fun. Is there much of that?

The Ramsheads have some nice scrambling. There are really easy routes up all the peaks and tors, but many of them also have more 'interesting' routes. You can just pick a side and see how far up you get.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes