Breakfast Creek

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Breakfast Creek

Postby jonnosan » Wed 02 Oct, 2013 7:19 pm

I did a fun amble around various parts of the Wild Dogs today, just thought people should be aware that Breakfast Creek seems to be dry (there are a few stagnant pools but nothing flowing). I got caught by surprise and in the end I had to drink from the Cox's. Am I going to live? I didn't specifically check Mobbs Swamp, but I remember noticing that the parts of Kennel Flat that are usually mud or a flowing stream were all bone dry.

Oh yeah, a lot of black horse and blue dog ridges seems to have been burnt (I assume in the backburning earlier this year) so there is less shade than normal and if you leave the firm packed footpad at all it's very slippery scree. Ironmonger was not burnt though.
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Breakfast Creek

Postby kanangra » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 7:49 am

Thanks for that. Am heading out there next Friday so will carry water. What about higher up the creek? Dry there too?

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jonnosan » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 7:22 pm

I crossed it at both Carlon Creek and Coxs, and it was dry in both spots.
jonnosan

Postby kanangra » Fri 04 Oct, 2013 7:46 am

Oh. Shame. Sometimes a few pools can be found in between. Hopefully that will be the case next weekend. Did you enjpy the climb up Blackhorse?

K
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jonnosan » Fri 04 Oct, 2013 8:37 pm

I did indeed enjoy the climb, I timed the walk so Carlons Creek was done all in the dark but I was able to to turn the torch off half way up Blackhorse and did a few completely unnecessary, just for fun scrambles through the little cliff lines. I also went all the way along Kennel Flats to the cairn that marks the turnoff from the Yellow Pup track to ascend to Splendour Rock - I had tried doing that in the dark on Anzac Day on my way to the dawn service but never having been there before didn't know the right pass up so end up skirting the cliff round to the right for a long time and forcing a way up through a few scrambles that dumped me into some thick banksia bushes. This time with a bit of light it was obvious where the way up is (right where the track up first meets the cliff).
jonnosan

Postby kanangra » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 6:42 am

As a matter of interest as of last weekend there were some pools in the creek between its junction with Blackhorse Ck and Frying Pan Flat. There were also pools below there as well. We boiled it up and had no problems.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jonnosan » Mon 17 Feb, 2014 5:51 am

So I realise how little I know about the hydrology of the mountains.

Yesterday I did another Wild Dogs jaunt, starting at Dunphy's and heading down Carlon Creek to ascend Blackhorse Ridge and then on to Splendour Rock. It has been raining on and off constantly for a few days, and I was a little worried that I may have some issues crossing over Breakfast Creek, but in fact it was completely empty. Well, there were a few depressions in rock slabs that were full of water (just whatever had fallen on that exact spot I guess, which was a few inches ) but nothing in the actual creek.

I returned via Medlow Gap and the firetrail, when it crossed the ford over Breakfast Creek, there was just a small trickle of water flowing past.

So yeah, I clearly have much to learn about how the water flows.

In other news though, it was great to see the grass and leaves regrowing on Blackhorse Ridge. And walking in the misty drizzle in the mountains is awesome (but y'all knew that already I am sure)
jonnosan

Postby kanangra » Mon 17 Feb, 2014 9:54 am

That is a nice trip that one. I like the walking on Blackhorse Ridge when the gradient starts to even out. Very pleasant.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tom_brennan » Mon 17 Feb, 2014 11:42 am

At the Carlon Creek junction, Breakfast Creek does have a reasonably large catchment (18 sq km). However, the small amount and low intensity of the rain, and the lack of moisture in the soil would have meant that most of it would have soaked in, rather than drained off.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes