Broken Dam Hut to Wares Yards Campground.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Broken Dam Hut to Wares Yards Campground.

Postby kanangra » Wed 22 May, 2013 9:15 pm

This was the 5th and final day of my Christmas trip last year. I wanted to try and be back to the car before Midday as i had a long drive ahead of me back to Sydney and a NYE function to attend that night. So I got away early before the sun was up. The air was cool and and a light mist swirled among the burnt out trees. The March flies aren't out yet and so it was possible to just walk along and enjoy being alive. After crossing a small hill the track climbed Four Mile Hill and then commenced a long descent to the Eucumbene River. I arrived just as the sun was striking the sparkling waters as they raced between grassy banks. It had become a glorious morning and I decided to make breakfast there on the bank in the sunshine. The March flies descended just as I was packing up and became very thick as I walked up the hill out of the valley. In an attempt to lose them I dropped down and crossed Rocky Plain Creek and then took an unnamed side creek running due east. At the head of this valley I spotted the power lines which I followed to the car park at Connors Hill on the Snowy Mts Hwy.

From here there was a short road bash down to the junction with Alpine Trail which I followed. It crosses a small creek and then climbs up the valley of Alpine Ck. and the further it goes the better it gets. Beautiful tall timber shades the track which starts to feel quite remote. Near the head the creek is crossed and the track climbs steeply to the Monaro Range. Here I decided to leave the track and follow a pad along the range which led south east to a high broad open un-named summit at Dinison: 451:270. From here I dropped down to the head of Boggy Plain Ck where I picked up the bridle track into Wares Yards and the car. It was just on 11:00AM.

I had really enjoyed the trip this year. The weather had been great and I had managed to cover a fair bit of country some of which I had never seen and some I hadn't seen in years. The flies were much worse this year than last but I managed.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes