Six Foot Track trip report

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Six Foot Track trip report

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 20 May, 2013 6:55 am

I completed the Six Foot Track yesterday, I had a great time, It was a bit of a tough slog out of Jenolan, made worst by the start across from the caves house being closed, I was confused, so I walked into the Caves shop cafe and asked the girl behind the counter she told me that they are repairing that section of the track, I asked her how to get onto the Six Foot Track, she told me to walk up the hill to the first car park and you will find the Six Foot Track, so of I went, got to the car park, saw the Six Foot Track sign pointing to the right, followed the sign than came to a intersection leading to two directions, no signs saying which was the Six Foot Track, looked at both, one had a sign saying to caves, I thought that cant be right, I don't want to go back to the caves, so it must be the other track, Of I went.

Not realizing it was the wrong direction, after half hour of slogging up a hill with steps, I started to get a bit suspicious as I did not see any signs, so I turned back and taken the other trail to the caves, not far into that trail I found the Six Foot Track sign, it was a releif to be on the trail.

Time was getting on, just after lunch by the time I got back onto the trail, so I slogged it up the hill arriving at Blackrange camp ground 2 and a half hours later, I was worried I would run out of daylight so I had the pace on.

Arrived at camp, to find one other hiker there in a Tarp Tent Contrail, turned out to be a forum member Kanangraboyd, first forum member I have met in person, we had a good ole chat comparing camping gear, thoroughly enjoyed the talk. Weather was starting to get a bit brisk, so I thought it best to have an early dinner and hit my hammock early, temp got down to 2c during the night, but if you factor the wind chill it was a lot colder. Was a good test for my hammock, for most of the night I was toasty warm. A couple times I could feel a slight chill when a big gust of wind came through.

It was a successful cold weather test for my hammock and gear, the coldest I have so far taken it down to. Up early in the morning, went for a short stroll around the camp ground watching some Kangaroos, an hour later Kanangraboyd emerged out of his Tarp Tent, another hour was spent discussing gear etc. when we both decided we probably should get a move on, as Kanangraboyd had a bus to catch at Jenolan and I had a 20km hike ahead of me.

Left camp at 9am, had a good hike, it sure was great to be walking down those steep hills instead of up, as I passed a total of 16 hikers going up that hill and not one of them looked like they where enjoying it, the best they could get out in between there hard breathing was how far to the top of the hill?
Last edited by ULWalkingPhil on Mon 20 May, 2013 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Re: Six Foot Track trip report

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 20 May, 2013 6:56 am

Arriving at Cox River camp 5 hours after leaving Black Range camp, most of the time I had a good pace on, except for those times I was almost sliding down the steep descent, got a bit hairy at times, but I managed to stay on my feet.

Cox River Camp was a delight, a beautiful Location. Being a Saturday night there was a lot of vehicle based campers, so I went down the river bank and setup my hammock not far from the water, not long after setting up I had some visitors, first there was cows, than a few other hikers followed by more cows. One hiker was in a small tent another hiker next to him in a bivy, sometime through the night a third hiker approached, I thought he was a cow, I could hear some ruffling in the branches not far from me, I thought it was a cow, so I yelled out OIH to make sure the cow didnt get to close, turned out the cow was a hiker, I think he must have got a bit of a freight, cause I heard him say *&%$#!, than shown a torch in my direction, I think he *&%$#! himself, not realizing there was someone near by.

Woke up early in the morning, it was a chilly 1c outside my hammock, so I stayed in my hammock till it warmed up a bit, I think it was almost 7am, I decided a trip to the loo was in order. Someone need to put the locks back on those toilet doors as someone walked in on me while I was taking a bog in the stink bog building, that would have to be one of the worst smelling toilets out.

I left camp at 9am and made my way for the suspension bridge, plans was to film myself walking along the bridge with my GoPro camera, but there was no chance that was going to happen, I had to hold on with both hands, the thing was swinging from side to side

I was warned at camp and on the trail about the climb upto Katoomba at the end of the day, so I paced myself today and walked a steady pace to consume what little energy I could muster for the slog up to rocks and steps into Katoomba. In the end I did not have much energy left so it was a tough climb to finnish the hike on, I ended up doing it at a pretty good pace, but by the time I got to the top I was spent, breathing heavily laying over my hiking poles when a young couple came down to check out the lookout over the valley and noticed my state and offered a ride back to Katoomba. How lucky was that. 5 hours and 45 minutes from Cox River camp to Katoomba.

It was a great bushwalk, but I wonder if there is much difference in difficulty going in the opposite direction. I think some of the climbs leaving Jenolan are steeper.
Last edited by ULWalkingPhil on Mon 20 May, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 20 May, 2013 7:31 am

no images to show till my return back home, all images and footage are in my GoPro Camera.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peter-robinson » Mon 20 May, 2013 8:11 am

Thanks for the report. I remember going past the top end of the six foot track nearly 20 years ago and thought I would like to do it one day. You've reignited that thought :-)
peter-robinson
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lindsay » Mon 20 May, 2013 11:03 am

Sounds like you had a great time Phil. I too have attempted photography from Bowtells bridge. Stills are OK, but video is right out! I'm curious though why you walked from Jenolan to Katoomba rather than the more usual other way?
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 20 May, 2013 11:54 am

Lindsay wrote:Sounds like you had a great time Phil. I too have attempted photography from Bowtells bridge. Stills are OK, but video is right out! I'm curious though why you walked from Jenolan to Katoomba rather than the more usual other way?

I was told that Blackrange camp is cold and very exposed to strong winds. I checked on the weather forecasts and predictions for Saturday and Sunday was for cold temps down to 0c. I have not tested my hammock down to temps of that range forecast for the weekend.

Hearing that Coxs river is sheltered i chosen to stay there. In the end it was a good plan. Because it was blowing a gale at Blackrange.

Hence the reason I chosen that direction so that I don't spend the coldest night at Blackrange.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby The Perambulator » Mon 20 May, 2013 6:49 pm

I walked from Jenolan to the Explorers tree just before Easter. The climb up from Nellies Glen to the Explorers tree was horrendous. It seemed like there were hundreds of wooden steps. I was absolutely shattered then had to walk 5klms into Katoomba - slept well that night.
The Perambulator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 20 May, 2013 7:00 pm

I managed to get the footage of my GoPro to my iPad and taken some screen captures.

ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Turfa » Tue 21 May, 2013 1:19 pm

Lindsay wrote:Sounds like you had a great time Phil. I too have attempted photography from Bowtells bridge. Stills are OK, but video is right out! I'm curious though why you walked from Jenolan to Katoomba rather than the more usual other way?

If you are depending on catch the bus for one leg of this trip, I find it easier to get the bus out to Jenolan first & then just walk back to katoomba. (Going the other way means that you have to make sure you get to jenolan on time to catch the bus back)

Plus..... it means you're on the bus when you are at your least stinky !!!
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 21 May, 2013 1:39 pm

Turfa wrote:

If you are depending on catch the bus for one leg of this trip, I find it easier to get the bus out to Jenolan first & then just walk back to katoomba. (Going the other way means that you have to make sure you get to jenolan on time to catch the bus back)

Plus..... it means you're on the bus when you are at your least stinky !!!

This time of the year the bus is not full. The cold appears to scare a lot of people off. You should have seen all the backpackers clear out of the hostels when the weather cooled down up here in Katoomba. There was only about 6 people on the bus when I left for Jenolan last Friday and two of those where employers at Jenolan Caves.

Bus leaves Jenolan at 3pm. That should be plenty time to catch the bus. It only taken me 2 and a half hours to walk to Blackrange camp and that was uphill. Going downhill you should be able to do that stretch within a few hours.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Tue 21 May, 2013 8:33 pm

There was only myself and one other guy on the bus back to Katoomba.
$40 for a private bus ride, felt like a rockstar!!!....lol
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none

Postby colinm » Thu 23 May, 2013 2:28 pm

Some day someone's going to have to explain to me the sense of walking down into a valley so you can expend considerable energy walking up out of it again after you're worn out. The Aboriginals didn't do it, they stuck to ridges. I reckon they were on to something there.
sig pending approval
colinm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Turfa » Thu 23 May, 2013 6:12 pm

colinm wrote:Some day someone's going to have to explain to me the sense of walking down into a valley so you can expend considerable energy walking up out of it again after you're worn out. The Aboriginals didn't do it, they stuck to ridges. I reckon they were on to something there.

Must have been a thirsty way to live ..... :D
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Onestepmore » Thu 23 May, 2013 11:08 pm

Good pics, glad you had a great walk. I had planned on doing this solo this autumn, but need to a) work out the logistics of leaving my car at the Katoomba start - how safe do people think this will be? b) trying to find a week when I don't have a gazzillion things booked in already. I think I've probably left it too late now and will need to wait until spring.
That suspension bridge looks a bit hairy......
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Marwood » Fri 24 May, 2013 8:57 am

On our last outing a few weeks ago, we left the car on the main street of Katoomba opposite the police station after dropping off our trip intention form. Some locals had warned us recently that there's been problems with cars being vandalised, so we weren't keen to leave the car at the trail head even though we've done that in the past.

Bowtells swingbridge does tip from side to side quite a lot even just walking normally over it, which is quite disconcerting with a pack on. But unless the Coxs is flooded, it's not necessary to use the bridge.
Come on lads, let's get home. The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.
Marwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bluegum Mic » Fri 24 May, 2013 9:10 am

Another option is there is a hostel in katoomba which is a lovely old place (I'll have a google and see if I can find its name). We stayed there the night before and then they are happy for you to leave your car there in their carpark. We then just grabbed a cab to the explorers tree in the morning. The bus then drops you back right near the hostel.

Mind you next time I walk in the area I'll only go down as far as the cox on the six foot and then do the loop back via dunphys and narrow neck.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Fri 24 May, 2013 8:33 pm

Onestepmore wrote:Good pics, glad you had a great walk. I had planned on doing this solo this autumn, but need to a) work out the logistics of leaving my car at the Katoomba start - how safe do people think this will be? b) trying to find a week when I don't have a gazzillion things booked in already. I think I've probably left it too late now and will need to wait until spring.
That suspension bridge looks a bit hairy......

Bridge is ok, yeah it swings a bit in the middle...hahaha the chickenwire sides don't seem to be very secure.
As I didn't want to leave my car either, caught train to Katoomba and caught bus from Carrington Hotel stop, to Explorers Tree ( look up Tripview app for times and bus number), it cost $2.50 I think and took 5 mins.
Then caught the Trolley Tours ( Blue Mtns Bus company ) bus back from Jenolan $40 leaves at 3pm sharp just next to the ticket office et al. You need to call and book/pay ahead.
Gonna do the Katoomba to Mittagong hike soon....Cheers,
KB
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby skibug » Sat 25 May, 2013 10:01 am

Nice, Philipsart,

A classic walk that needs to be on the c.v. of all seasoned walkers in NEW, though a bit tame for some. For me, the large drawback of the hike is that all 3 potential camp sites along the way - Black Range, Cox 's river and Old Ford reserve - are accessible by vehicle, and those campers often have, let's say, a different agenda. I know the local land-holders at Cox 's are tiring of the noise, rubbish, vandalism, drink-driving, unregistered motor bikes, possession of fire-arms, trespass onto private land, and so on.

The actual concept of using a public road as a hiking track is flawed, and hopefully one day the two user-groups can somehow be separated, probably pleasing both parties. In the short term, I would love to see a camping area at the Cox 's at least a kilometre from the 4wd area.

Please note that the small grassy clearing by the river downhill from the commercial lodge is private property, and should not be used without permission.

Also, walkers will be interested to know that there is a walking track leading through the bush from the lookout at the top of Nellies Glen to Stuart St in Katoomba, which entails about an hour's walk back to the station. Here's how: as you come up Nellie's Glen you reach a fire trail junction - to the left is Explorer's tree up the hill, right is a locked gate and track to the lookout. Have a gander at where you came from, then retrace your steps about 20 metres to a track, with steps, on the right, leading downhill. Follow this track for about 20 minutes - follow the contour to avoid false leads - and emerge at the top of a private driveway - turn left, then right up the Stuart St hill, and navigate through the streets to central Katoomba. This route avoids the dangerous walk along the highway, or the need to fetch a taxi.

Enjoy your next hike,

Skibug
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Grabeach » Sat 25 May, 2013 9:54 pm

Perhaps the biggest problem with the 6' Track is that very little of it is the original formation. My understanding is that only the last 3km down to the Coxes and 2km down to the caves are 'genuine'. The rest has been either re-routed due to private property considerations or bulldozed for roads. The current legal route negotiated by Alan Carey often follows public roads. If not for their existance, we probably wouldn't have a 6' Track at all. Hence bushwalkers, or even horse riders (it was constucted as a bridle trail), don't have any special claim to the current route.As skibug says, it would be nice to separate the vehiles from the walkers, but I think there is even less chance of obtaining the land to do that now than there was in the early '80s.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 26 May, 2013 9:06 am

Grabeach wrote:Perhaps the biggest problem with the 6' Track is that very little of it is the original formation. My understanding is that only the last 3km down to the Coxes and 2km down to the caves are 'genuine'. The rest has been either re-routed due to private property considerations or bulldozed for roads. The current legal route negotiated by Alan Carey often follows public roads. If not for their existance, we probably wouldn't have a 6' Track at all. Hence bushwalkers, or even horse riders (it was constucted as a bridle trail), don't have any special claim to the current route.As skibug says, it would be nice to separate the vehiles from the walkers, but I think there is even less chance of obtaining the land to do that now than there was in the early '80s.

That appears to be correct from my observations, down to Coxes river and into Jenolan caves being original tracks, there are a few sections on private property could be original.

Lost count how many 4wds that passed me on the Saturday, they all did the right thing and slowed down, cant complain there. Few mountain bike riders, again all did the right things.

I totally agree, it would be nice to separate the vehicles from walkers in the camp sites.

Theres a lot of things that could be done to improve the walk, i still thoroughly enjoyed it and will do it again, probably in the next couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Onestepmore » Sun 26 May, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks Marwood Mic and KB about the car and transport tips
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jonnosan » Sun 26 May, 2013 10:24 am

If you want to camp away from vehicles, there is the Allum Creek reserve, it's about the half way point, so camping there probably means doing two long days, rather than 2 and a half days.
jonnosan

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Sun 26 May, 2013 12:30 pm

jonnosan wrote:If you want to camp away from vehicles, there is the Allum Creek reserve, it's about the half way point, so camping there probably means doing two long days, rather than 2 and a half days.

Here it is for those who haven't seen it before.
Jonnosan it is only 1 L.... :mrgreen:
Attachments
ALUM CK.jpg
ALUM Ck
ALUM CK.jpg (537.25 KiB) Viewed 25437 times
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Turfa » Sun 26 May, 2013 1:35 pm

There is another nice grassy flat only about 200m further along the track towards Jenolan. (between the crossings of Alum Creek and Little River) Does anyone know if camping is allowed there ?
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bluegum Mic » Sun 26 May, 2013 5:44 pm

Onestepmore wrote:Thanks Marwood Mic and KB about the car and transport tips

Marwood Mic :shock:
Kiwigrl (Mrs Marwood) if your reading this its all innocent I swear lol ;-)
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Onestepmore » Sun 26 May, 2013 7:03 pm

OK, so I'm guilty as charged
I left out a comma

'Eats, Shoots and Leaves'
by Lynne Truss
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eats,_Shoots_%26_Leaves

I'm actually old enough to have been taught correct punctuation
And young enough to say LOL
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lindsay » Sun 26 May, 2013 7:56 pm

Turfa wrote:There is another nice grassy flat only about 200m further along the track towards Jenolan. (between the crossings of Alum Creek and Little River) Does anyone know if camping is allowed there ?

I think that spot is on private land, not certain though. I have been fortunate enough to walk the track midweek and avoided the weekend yobbos in their 4WDs.
Lindsay

Postby greenpro » Sun 26 May, 2013 8:05 pm

Yes, that photo of Alum creek reserve is on private land, as I walked past it last week and it is one of a few parcels of land that has "for sale" signs on it !
I think it was $190k, so for those that want there own private campsite, it's yours if you want it !
greenpro
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Bluegum Mic » Sun 26 May, 2013 8:12 pm

Ha! Sorry OSM. No grammar nazi here. I didn't realise Marwood had posted and I thought you'd substituted Marwood for Bluegum. Ignore my pregnant brain lol
My grammar is shocking so its safe to say I'd never correct anyone on that :smile:
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Turfa » Sun 26 May, 2013 8:53 pm

greenpro wrote:Yes, that photo of Alum creek reserve is on private land, as I walked past it last week and it is one of a few parcels of land that has "for sale" signs on it !
I think it was $190k, so for those that want there own private campsite, it's yours if you want it !

Yep...only $190K

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/?adid=2010412031

You could literally own several hundred metres of the Six Foot track !

Interestingly, the property seems to completely surround the Alum Ck campsite

2010412031_20_FS.jpg
2010412031_20_FS.jpg (134.79 KiB) Viewed 25349 times
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes