Six Foot Track trip report

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Re: Six Foot Track trip report

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 26 May, 2013 9:23 pm

Plan to go back and complete this walk again, this time from Katoomba to Jenolan. Seeing that day one will mainly consist of down hills. Day two consisting of up hill. My plans would be to continue further than Coxes River camp on day one. On the way through last week, I had a look at Allum Creek camp and noticed no possibility of setting up a hammock. Is there anywhere nearby I could legaly setup my hammock?
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby Lindsay » Sun 02 Jun, 2013 3:37 pm

Turfa wrote:.........You could literally own several hundred metres of the Six Foot track!.........

Yeah, I would buy it and make it walkers only :D
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Sun 02 Jun, 2013 5:36 pm

Phillipsart wrote:Plan to go back and complete this walk again, this time from Katoomba to Jenolan. Seeing that day one will mainly consist of down hills. Day two consisting of up hill. My plans would be to continue further than Coxes River camp on day one. On the way through last week, I had a look at Allum Creek camp and noticed no possibility of setting up a hammock. Is there anywhere nearby I could legaly setup my hammock?

And so the therapy bills start to mount.......... :mrgreen:
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none

Postby Turfa » Sun 02 Jun, 2013 5:38 pm

Phillipsart wrote:Plan to go back and complete this walk again, this time from Katoomba to Jenolan. Seeing that day one will mainly consist of down hills. Day two consisting of up hill. My plans would be to continue further than Coxes River camp on day one. On the way through last week, I had a look at Allum Creek camp and noticed no possibility of setting up a hammock. Is there anywhere nearby I could legaly setup my hammock?

Well, I'm not so sure about "legally" anymore, but I have camped several times at the nice grassy flat that is about 200m past (towards Jenolan) the signposted Alum Ck reserve. It has plenty of trees & would likely be suitable for hanging........I had never really thought about it before this thread, but now I suspect that bit of land is possibly private property. It is however, very commonly used as a campsite & there are no indications of private ownership such as fences or signs that would discourage people from camping there......

(that's not really very helpful advice is it.... :? )
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby skibug » Wed 05 Jun, 2013 11:37 pm

"Well, I'm not so sure about "legally" anymore, but I have camped several times at the nice grassy flat that is about 200m past (towards Jenolan) the signposted Alum Ck reserve. It has plenty of trees & would likely be suitable for hanging........I had never really thought about it before this thread, but now I suspect that bit of land is possibly private property. It is however, very commonly used as a campsite & there are no indications of private ownership such as fences or signs that would discourage people from camping there...... "

There is a hand painted “no camping" sign at the flats - the land belongs to the Six Foot Track Lodge property, and the owner would prefer people don't use it without permission.

Skibug
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Grabeach » Thu 06 Jun, 2013 3:08 pm

Assuming the Six Foot Track Lodge is an accomodation establishment and not an alternative to the Freemasons or Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes (one for the over 50s), might the owner prefer everyone to stay there instead?
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Turfa » Thu 06 Jun, 2013 4:35 pm

skibug wrote:"

There is a hand painted “no camping" sign at the flats - the land belongs to the Six Foot Track Lodge property, and the owner would prefer people don't use it without permission.

Skibug

thanks Skibug. Just to clarify though, are you referring to the flat that is on the banks of the Cox's R, directly below the Eco lodge (near the Cox's river campsite) .......or the one next to the Alum Ck reserve ?
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby matthewdean » Thu 06 Jun, 2013 6:28 pm

Nice Photos and love the report! I am still yet to attempt this walk but I have recently been extremely keen to attempt during cold conditions. Are any groups heading out this long weekend that wouldn't mind a tag along?

Cheers,
matthewdean
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Previous

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes