Another Colo Rafting trip

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Another Colo Rafting trip

Postby jeremy089786 » Tue 23 Apr, 2013 10:54 am

jeremy089786
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WilderWheels
Region: New South Wales

Re: Another Colo Rafting trip

Postby ferozious » Tue 28 May, 2013 2:54 pm

Hey mate, this trip looks awesome. Thanks for sharing the great photos!

I've never tried pack rafting but it looks exciting.

How much does a decent pack raft cost if I want to get into this sort of pack rafting in remote areas for more than one day?
How many km can you do in a typical day once accustomed to your vessel? (I think a long trip from Newnes down to the Putty Road bridge would be amazing)
Do you need to have decent water flow or can you paddle your way through calm waters with ease?
How often do you fall into the water?

I've got one of those $100ish inflatable 2 man boats at home so might take that out for a paddle one day soon.
ferozious
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby davidf » Wed 29 May, 2013 7:57 am

An alpaka pack raft set up you won't get much change out of $1200. Boat, paddle, PFD, helmet etc. Then you will also have to account for your knewly aquired dry bag fetish;).

The Alpacka boats are great. I'm a tight *&%$#! but the boat has been worth every cent. I've paddled places I would never of walked but would of really missed out seeing like the upper Murray and Snowy rivers. I've had mine for a bit over a year and have used it heavily.

Depending on flow you are looking at 20km a day but this also varies with water level ie. portaging and rapid difficulty.

You can fall into the water quite a bit.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ferozious » Wed 29 May, 2013 8:47 am

Thanks for the reply.

I'll probably think of putting a pack raft on my one year outlook financial plan :)
ferozious
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes