Nattai Loop

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Nattai Loop

Postby kanangra » Wed 03 Oct, 2012 8:36 am

I've had this trip in mind for a while and opportunity finally presented itself on the weekend. I parked at Wattle Ridge and set out from there on the Nattai Trail. I ignored the sign posted in 2006 declaring the track closed "until further notice" due to land slide. The going is open and easy to the 2nd gate when the track becomes quite overgrown. Before too long it opens up again as it descends the pass in the cliffs and true enough there were some very large boulders on the track through here. Before long the descent is over and I bump into two guys, Steve and Jack who had come in from the knife edge that separates the Allum River Canyon from the Nattai. They would be the only two I would see.

Once at the river I crossed and walked up to the Allum Flat, in my opinion the best camping on the river. I could find no trace of the old hut but did locate Steve and Jack's campsite from the night before. I followed an old track across and up the Allum River for a way before returning.

I then recrossed the Nattai to pick up the main track which promptly crossed back again. The track then stayed on the TL bank all the way to Colleys Flat. In the process I passed an old 6x4 trailer with a huge concrete pipe on the back. It would seem it was brought up to replace an old iron pipe near by. It and the trailer lay abandoned.

Colleys Flat was crossed and then the double crossing, one dry,at Vinyard Flat. Here it was a short distance to the sign marking the route up Belloon Pass. I had lunch there before heading up to the pass. The way is not obvious and although there are some markers be prepared to lose it several times. Near the top the track drops into the gully near a junction. Take the left branch, looking up hill. From here stay in the gully (dry). Eventually you exit to the right on a very small gully that takes you up to the pass.

Great views out over the Wollondilly of course. I made my entry in the book and noted that nobody had been that way for a couple of months. I then returned to the Nattai and continued downstream. Before long I arrived at Martins Ck where I refilled with water before proceeding.

A breeze picked up as the shadows began to lengthen and so I started to look for a suitable place to camp. I chose a grassy spot on off the road not that far from the river with planty of firewood nearby. Very pleasant.

Away by 6 after a dry but cool night. Very pleasant walking in the early morning. Before long I had rounded the bend and was in the valley of the Little River which I followed upstream to the causeway. Here I would leave the track behind and press up the creek. My rate of travel slowed to about 1km per hour as I battled the dense vegetation. So thick was the going that I passed McKenzie Valley Creek without even realising it. So I decided to press up the point of the spur. Low cliffs were rounded without difficulty but nearthe top sheer walls confronted me. I looked left but saw no way so went right. I traversed for about half an hour before spying a narrow lead which I decided to try. It led through the first band but then I was confronted by another band of cliffs. Here I tried a shute and was able to wedge myself up. But then I was confronted by a third band of cliifs. Thinking this had to be the last I scouted around and soon found a way up and out. Before long I was on the fire road and on my way out.

From there it was a solid 3 hour road bash along the Long Nose trail to the gate and then down to the car. It was one of those Waterboard roads where they clear the vegetation for 10m either side so there is no shade and the walker is baked. This made a fire fighting dam about half way along a welcome relief.

A good little walk that I recommend. If you had a second car at Thirlmere Lakes you could avoid the untracked section which would make it a very comfortable walk indeed.

K.

PS I rode my pushbike through the Natai Valley back in the 1970's. No way you could do that now. Too overgrown.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Nattai Loop

Postby jackhinde » Wed 03 Oct, 2012 11:52 am

we actually dropped in from the point on wangaderry tableland directly across the allum river from that knife edge. there isnt a hut at allum, just the remains of a shed and a tractor drawn potato picker of all things, about 150m further away from the river than our camp. good to meet you, seems like you had a nice little adventure.
jackhinde
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Wed 03 Oct, 2012 1:02 pm

Jack,

Great to meet up with you. Didn't realise you were from here. Now I understand your trip better. When you mentioned you dropped into a creek I couldn't quite figure it out?

Also have you had a look in Martins Ck? I had a view out over the headwaters as I was walking out.

k.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jackhinde » Wed 03 Oct, 2012 6:29 pm

haven't been there yet, still working on all the nooks and crannies of the upper nattai and just starting on the lower downstream spots
jackhinde
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby puredingo » Fri 12 Oct, 2012 12:44 pm

Another great report, Kanangra. Keep it up I enjoy reading them.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Fri 12 Oct, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks Puredingo. I'm off to Queenstown next weekend. A mate and I are doing the Greenstone Caples Track which should be fun. Then I don't have much planned till just after Christmas when I am planning a 5 day hike in the northern Snowies.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Onestepmore » Tue 02 Jul, 2013 9:39 pm

The log book at Beloon Pass in the red box is full. The next person up there needs to bring another exercise book or something similar
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes