Snow on Mt Gingera, ACT

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Snow on Mt Gingera, ACT

Postby justacouch » Mon 25 Jun, 2012 6:59 pm

I went for a day walk from Corin Dam to Mt Gingera on Saturday. There was about 20 - 30cm of snow on top, the most so far this year. There was enough for a guy to enjoy some XC skiing. It looks like there's some more precipitation in the forecast, which could build on an already good start to the Brindies snow season. I have a tentative plan to head for Mt Bimberi this weekend, but the weather isn't looking ideal. We'll see how it shapes up later in the week.

There are a few more pics here: http://rollick.com.au/2012/corin-dam-to-mt-gingera-again/
justacouch
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: Snow on Mt Gingera, ACT

Postby wildwalks » Mon 25 Jun, 2012 7:32 pm

Nice :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW
Region: New South Wales

Postby Tony » Mon 25 Jun, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi justacouch,

Thanks, some nice photos, Gingera is a nice walk I have not been up that way for a while and good to see Pryors hut in good condition, I have been there a few times in winter and it is colder inside the hut than outside.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby justacouch » Tue 03 Jul, 2012 10:42 am

Hi Tony

It can definitely get pretty cold in the Hut, certainly below zero if it's below outside and windy. There's also a hut rat (not sure if it's an introduced rat or native - I'll know next time I see it though) that, like many hut rats, shows very little fear of humans and entertains itself in the early morning by scurrying over your face and sleeping bag. Pitching the tent in a sheltered area on the NSW side is probably warmer and hopefully rodent free and although my tent didn't come with the stone fire place upgrade, it has room for a woman friend and warming up 'the Norwegian way'.
justacouch
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tony » Tue 03 Jul, 2012 11:11 am

justacouch wrote:Hi Tony

It can definitely get pretty cold in the Hut, certainly below zero if it's below outside and windy. There's also a hut rat (not sure if it's an introduced rat or native - I'll know next time I see it though) that, like many hut rats, shows very little fear of humans and entertains itself in the early morning by scurrying over your face and sleeping bag. Pitching the tent in a sheltered area on the NSW side is probably warmer and hopefully rodent free and although my tent didn't come with the stone fire place upgrade, it has room for a woman friend and warming up 'the Norwegian way'.

Hi justacouch,

Priors hut had a resident rat on my first visit 20 years ago, the one that I saw a few times looked like a native rat and lived next to the fireplace.

If possible I try not to sleep in huts in the mountains as nearly all of them have wildlife in them, I have had my candles eaten a few times and some plastic bits on my winter stove and pot have been chewed, my mate had his red plastic mug stolen once, we found it near a hole in the floor.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby justacouch » Wed 04 Jul, 2012 4:03 pm

Tony wrote:the one that I saw a few times looked like a native rat and lived next to the fireplace.

Tony

You might be surprised next time you visit - they're coming out of the walls.

Literally, through holes they've chewed themselves.

But it's not really that bad. What is bad though is some bunch of numpties recently cut down living trees in the alpine arboretum next door to make Bear Grylls style bushcraft shelters. Hopefully they were also drinking their own urin.
justacouch
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby WarrenH » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 6:20 pm

Yesterday, 4 Sept, was a beautiful day in the mountains. My son Geoff and I hiked from Corin Dam up Stockyard Spur to Little Ginini. It certainly was a climb and a half. I am in awe of the people who built the hundreds of wooden steps and who have improved the track. The last time I walked up Stockyard Spur it was just a goat track.

We met 4 day walkers and 2 campers on the spur. They all mentioned that there was still much snow at the hut, but not much elsewhere.

Some shots from yesterday's walk.

The land effect on the wind, creating what sailors call catspaws, looked cool. Bimberi (+1900m) is the main mountain.

Mount Franklin.

When we finally reached the top, the track on the flat, was well appreciated. The average climb was a slope of 22.5% with some bits approaching 40%

Mount Gingera late in the day.

The highlights of the day were, we saw 5 Emus, dozens of Flame Robins, a few Stinkers, one Red Neck and several Eastern Greys. The forests looked very healthy, the views were stunning, the track is awesome and the hundreds of steps made the climb easier than in the past.

The lowlights were it hurt a lot and this morning I could hardly move thanks to lactic acid buildup in my quads.

Warren.

PS, I took these two shots last week from Mt Arawang, looking over the Bullen Range to Gingera and Bimberi. Bimberi still had much snow showing then.

WarrenH
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby JohnnyBoyACT » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 6:02 pm

Hi justacouch

I'd hate to put folk off visiting Mt Franklin, once the Mt Franklin Rd is reopened. The hill with the uniform slope to the West (which you've captioned Mt Franklin) is Tidbinbilla Mountain, I'm pretty sure.
JohnnyBoyACT
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby justacouch » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 6:22 pm

JohnnyBoyACT wrote:Hi justacouch

I'd hate to put folk off visiting Mt Franklin, once the Mt Franklin Rd is reopened. The hill with the uniform slope to the West (which you've captioned Mt Franklin) is Tidbinbilla Mountain, I'm pretty sure.

Hi JohnBoyACT

Do you mean the picture in this thread? If so I believe it is WarrenH's photo, and I can't take credit for his expert photography.
justacouch
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby JohnnyBoyACT » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 9:25 pm

Sorry justacouch - yes, I did mean WarrenH's photo. I'll get the hang of this thing soon. My second only post :oops:
JohnnyBoyACT
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby WarrenH » Wed 02 Jan, 2013 9:35 am

Johnny Boy, I've enjoyed your site immensely for a long time and thank you for waiting for me to respond here.

I thought that the far mountain on the right was Mount Tidbinbilla in the photo below, but I feel rather honoured to be put straight by you (but only by you or by Tony, no one else, :wink: ).

Happy New Year John, and thank you Mate. I wish you many good years of future exploring and the continued success of your amazing blog.

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue 15 Jan, 2013 7:06 pm

JohnnyBoy, sent me a follow up ... to sort out my guessing, once and for all. Which I greatly appreciate.

"The one on the right in your photo is Tidbinbilla Peak and the uniform western slope one is Tidbinbilla Mountain. There's a map segment at ... http://www.johnevans.id.au/Pages/Walk%2 ... 04_24.html ... that shows the two, although we missed T Mountain that day due to the weather."

Warren.
WarrenH

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes