Sugarloaf

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Sugarloaf

Postby Earwig » Wed 17 Aug, 2011 11:46 am

A sugarloaf is a cone of sugar and is how sugar was sold before sugar cubes were invented. The pointy shape of many mountains has led to them being named Sugarloaf or Mount Sugarloaf or Sugarloaf Peak or some variation on that theme. According to Wikipedia there are over 400 Sugarloafs in Australia. The Sugarloaf in this story is in the Cathedral Ranges in north-east Victoria, not far from Marysville.

This Mount Sugarloaf is a pointy, rocky peak of sandstone at the southern end of the Cathedral Ranges. Along with numerous routes requiring ropes and climbing gear, there are two walking tracks to the summit. One is known as The Canyon for a small, canyon-like feature you have to crawl up, and the other is Wells Cave, named after a cave you must squeeze through. The Canyon is regarded as a hard walk and I have known a few people to struggle because of their fear of heights, particularly above The Canyon section. The Wells Cave track is even more difficult and more exposed to gravity vibes.

The Wells Cave track starts off a foot track climbing steadily through forest regenerating after the Black Saturday fires of 2009 to the base of the rocky upper slopes. The first bits of rock to be encountered aren’t too bad but then things tack a turn to the vertical (actually, not quite vertical, about sixty degrees) requiring some hands and feet style bushwalking to get to the base of the main cliff. From here rock climbers will unpack their ropes and harnesses and continue straight up – hikers head north along the base of the cliff towards the cave.

Not so much a cave but a crevice, gap thing formed by a large slab of sandstone leaning against the main cliff. Looking into the cave, the other end is not visible – just darkness. A red arrow painted on one wall however indicates that this is the way to go.

As you get deeper into the cave it gets darker, damper and narrower. The final moves see most people turning sideways. Packs definitely need to be removed and passed through.

After emerging from the cave there is one last climb to the top. While I have done this walk a number of times I always seem to get stuck here – not sure where my feet are meant to go and desperately looking for something to grab onto. After a couple of tricky moves it is an easy scramble to the top and views along the range.

The Cave is best avoided as a descent route and so after some chocolate and wandering around the summit for a few photos along the range, including chasing a Flame Robin that refused to sit and pose for a portrait, we wandered off south and down through The Canyon.

The descent is interesting in itself. It is reasonably easy to wander off track as it is reasonably easy to believe that the track couldn’t possibly go the way it does. But it does. A nice rock scramble, aided by gravity, and hands and a bit of bum-sliding and we soon found ourselves on some relatively flat ground for an easy walk back to the car.

I've taken this track with my kids in the past and they loved the cave and the climbing. The key is to remember that it is okay to turn around and head back if someone is finding it a bit hard. I've also done it with a full pack, which was an adventure that included hiking across the Razorback to camp at The Farmyard.

There are a couple of pics on my blog - including one the the Flame Robin.

http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/2011/08/mount-sugarloaf-cathedral-ranges.html
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Sugarloaf

Postby north-north-west » Fri 19 Aug, 2011 7:10 pm

Yer, it's a ripper. Great training for the WArthurs, that little climb.

This is a wide-angle shot, which flattens out the descent considerably. My feet are wedged into the rocks like that so I can stand still - it's actually not far short of vertical.

b00179c.jpg
Going down . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Tofu_Imprint » Sat 15 Oct, 2011 4:29 pm

One of my favourite places to walk, for a shorter walk.
The first time I went up I started at Neds Gully>Neds Saddle>Cathedral Peak>Farmyard (Camp)> then back down to the jawbones carpark.
The second time we went up from sugarloaf carpark>wells cave>razorback>farmyard>jawbones carpark.

Both great walks. The first time I was up there I saw 6 feral mountain goats which I reported to Parks.
Tofu_Imprint
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Earwig » Wed 02 May, 2012 8:19 pm

Did another stroll through here this week, to Little Cathedral. The trip report is on my blog

http://ian-folly.blogspot.com.au/2012/0 ... edral.html
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dplanet » Fri 04 May, 2012 7:06 pm

Been there a number of times. My last visit was to lead an overnight walk in 2005. From memory, we traversed Southern Range on the first day and camped at The Farmyard. The following day we did Northern Range, then walked out via Little River Tk. There were few of us and I enjoyed their company. Few pics below (will try to update my site when motivated).
Attachments
pix3.jpg
On Northern Range..
pix3.jpg (99.96 KiB) Viewed 8467 times
pix4.jpg
And a fellow koala.
pix4.jpg (136.56 KiB) Viewed 8467 times
dplanet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes