Lake Mountain to Keppels Hut - dry enough track?

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Lake Mountain to Keppels Hut - dry enough track?

Postby nezumi » Mon 25 Sep, 2023 7:24 pm

I'm looking for an intro overnight hike to do with Master 7 while everyone else is distracted by the footy.

The main contenders are Beeripmo, Lake Mtn to Keppel Hut, or something around Bunyip.

I suspect with the weather we've had of late, any semblance of snow that was around the Lake Mountain plateau will have melted and the ground dried up?

Otherwise I am open to suggestions of hikes that are around 10km each way, preferably in a loop rather than out-n-back
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Lake Mountain to Keppels Hut - dry enough track?

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 25 Sep, 2023 8:28 pm

Baw Baw N.P.. Stronach's camp to the Whitelaw hut ruins. Overnight at the hut ruins camping area. Return to the starting point. Not too steep up or down and about 9 kms one way.Other walks in the Baw Baw area such as Walhalla to East Tyers river campsite and Mt. St. Gwinear car park to the Rock Shelter are possible options.
8 Mile Flat to Ritchie's hut by the Howqua River.
Mt. Stirling TBJ to Bluff Spur hut.
Carter's road to Tomahawk Gap / up Rd. No. 3 to Mt. No. 3 refuge hut .Nice hut, pit loo, tank water and high country views.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 25 Sep, 2023 9:37 pm

Nice Loop: Mountain Creek campground up Staircase Spur, camp at Mt. Bogong Summit (8km), retrace steps or down Eskdale Spur, and back along the track to Mountain Creek campground (12km).
Only downside is potential for filicide/removal of child for cruelty.
If you want a nice overnight walk, try the Prom: Telegraph Saddle to Oberon bay, unfortunately has to be out-n-back due to track damage.
If you want camping, with walks, then Murindindi Scenic Reserve has heaps of camping along a creek, with walks along the creek and up to Wilhelmina Falls and nearby Toolangi state forest.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Joris » Tue 26 Sep, 2023 7:34 am

Baeng72 - are you sure about the Oberon Bay track damage at the Prom? It is no longer mentioned as an issue on the PV Prom website.
Joris
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 26 Sep, 2023 8:06 am

No, I'm not sure. Just so used to it being that way. Might be worth ringing Parks.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 26 Sep, 2023 9:39 am

I would not take a child up The Staircase spur. I would not take some of my adult friends up the Staircase spur. They need to be match fit and have some concept of what a relentless ascent it is. Most non bushwalking people /newbies have NFI about what a beast Mt. Bogong really is !
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 26 Sep, 2023 9:53 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I would not take a child up The Staircase spur. I would not take some of my adult friends up the Staircase spur. They need to be match fit and have some concept of what a relentless ascent it is. Most non bushwalking people /newbies have NFI about what a beast Mt. Bogong really is !

Nor I, hence the quip about filicide/cruelty.
Anyway, It's hard to think of walks that don't have some ascending/descending involved.
The Prom is great, but without a shuttle which is summer only, starting at Telegraph Junction (downhill) and walking back via the coast to Norman bay would be unfeasible if the track were open.
Grampians is a bit hilly, at least the places I can think of.
The high-plains would be great, but in season, so cost of entering resort, same with Razorback from Hotham.
Mt. Buffalo, maybe, but I don't know the area.
I guess some desert location would be flat, Murray-Sunset country for example, but maybe too much to ask of a kid.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Camminata » Tue 26 Sep, 2023 10:16 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I would not take a child up The Staircase spur. I would not take some of my adult friends up the Staircase spur. They need to be match fit and have some concept of what a relentless ascent it is. Most non bushwalking people /newbies have NFI about what a beast Mt. Bogong really is !

Have seen many people take children for a stroll up the Staircase, online and in the field , also un match fit walkers, a relentless ascent, does not mean its same for everyone else fit or unfit.
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://hikingtales55.blogspot.com

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 26 Sep, 2023 10:56 am

The Ski resort at Falls Creek has closed its white season operations for 2023 and Pretty valley road from Windy Corner is now open to cars.
That means walking to Tawonga Huts/ Ryder's hut/ Young's SEC Hut etc.. starting at Pretty Valley are all possible. Watch the weather forecast because spring can mean snow falling or warm sun or wet and windy condiitions.The poor snow season for 2023 has lead to 99% green terrain on the BHP by now.

No need for skis :-(

{or snow shoes!}
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes