Mount Difficult Solo Overnight Hike

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mount Difficult Solo Overnight Hike

Postby Explorer_Sam » Thu 01 Feb, 2018 7:15 pm

Just got back from an overnighter on Mount Difficult. A friend pulled out at the last minute so the solo was a different experience! Had some great weather, great views. A fun two days. Check it out at the link below :D

https://sambochristie.wordpress.com/201 ... difficult/
My Blog- Adventure and Nature Writing- www.sambochristie.wordpress.com
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Mount Difficult Solo Overnight Hike

Postby neilmny » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 9:51 am

Nicely done Sam. Your photo looking down from Briggs Bluff almost gave a vertigo moment :-)
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Biggles » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 10:18 am

One of the most popular places for bushwalkers' first mountain experience. And the easiest place to get lost! :?
Almost 30 years ago I summited Briggs Bluff and Mount Difficult with a group of loonies from VNPA: we started at Trooper's Creek, and scrambled up through cliffs near Tilwinda Falls. In reflection, I'm surprised any of us survived that ordeal, chiefly me being afraid of heights and running out of water (it rained that night so that was solved neatly!). Years later (mid-1990s?) I did a solo overnight walk to Mount Difficult, again from Trooper's Creek, but got a bit disoriented and came down through cliffs and ledges,then a long walk back to Troopers Creek! No GPS in those days.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 10:37 am

Thanks for the report, really enjoyed it. Did you find it more challenging than Mt Rosea? I have a vague plan to do Mt Difficult but don't want to get ahead of myself.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Explorer_Sam » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 5:40 pm

neilmny wrote:Nicely done Sam. Your photo looking down from Briggs Bluff almost gave a vertigo moment :-)

Thanks heaps Neil! It's such an awesome spot up there. Really incredible view, but being close to the edge could give anyone sweaty palms.

Biggles wrote:One of the most popular places for bushwalkers' first mountain experience. And the easiest place to get lost! :?
Almost 30 years ago I summited Briggs Bluff and Mount Difficult with a group of loonies from VNPA: we started at Trooper's Creek, and scrambled up through cliffs near Tilwinda Falls. In reflection, I'm surprised any of us survived that ordeal, chiefly me being afraid of heights and running out of water (it rained that night so that was solved neatly!). Years later (mid-1990s?) I did a solo overnight walk to Mount Difficult, again from Trooper's Creek, but got a bit disoriented and came down through cliffs and ledges,then a long walk back to Troopers Creek! No GPS in those days.

Sounds like such an awesome trip, Biggles. Very adventurous! It sounds like it's easier to get lost climbing from Troopers Creek than it is from Beehive Falls. I wonder what it would be like today walking from Troopers Creek, on the overgrown track which PV apparently no longer recognise... could be an adventure waiting to happen!

CraigVIC wrote:Thanks for the report, really enjoyed it. Did you find it more challenging than Mt Rosea? I have a vague plan to do Mt Difficult but don't want to get ahead of myself.

Thanks heaps Craig, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I definitely found it more challenging than Mount Rosea, but mostly because of the route finding - just looking for those little yellow markers. The terrain is a bit rougher IMO and there are a few steepish rocky sections to traverse. I would say that if Mount Rosea was a 4/10 challenge, Mount Difficult would be a 6 or a 7...
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 10:14 am

Biggles wrote:One of the most popular places for bushwalkers' first mountain experience. And the easiest place to get lost! :?

Sounds like such an awesome trip, Biggles. Very adventurous! It sounds like it's easier to get lost climbing from Troopers Creek than it is from Beehive Falls. I wonder what it would be like today walking from Troopers Creek, on the overgrown track which PV apparently no longer recognise... could be an adventure waiting to happen!

Troopers Creek has a nice bushy campsite, and the added attraction of sorts of Tilwinda Falls (not often flowing), beyond which the scrubby track and cliffs beckon.
Our leader at the time probably was not aware of the track leading up to the plateau from Beehive Falls — I have only a vague and patchy recollection of markers on rock pointing up a rocky slope from Beehive (?) — I could be wrong or confusing it with some other place. These walks are the sort of thing one does while 20-something, at university and desperate to let go the dreadlocks and go exploring on weekends! :P
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Explorer_Sam » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 6:05 pm

Biggles wrote:

Troopers Creek has a nice bushy campsite, and the added attraction of sorts of Tilwinda Falls (not often flowing), beyond which the scrubby track and cliffs beckon.
Our leader at the time probably was not aware of the track leading up to the plateau from Beehive Falls — I have only a vague and patchy recollection of markers on rock pointing up a rocky slope from Beehive (?) — I could be wrong or confusing it with some other place. These walks are the sort of thing one does while 20-something, at university and desperate to let go the dreadlocks and go exploring on weekends! :P

That sounds like the one! There are a few 'fun' sections like that. I really wish I had done it from Troopers Creek back when it was all open. It would be interesting to compare the routes. Doubtless there are plenty on this forum that have done both...
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 12:11 pm

I'm heading up to the Grampians to do this walk this weekend. I've done the circuit from Troopers Creek before but with that route closed we'll be going from Beehive Falls this time. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a sneaky spot to camp on Friday night before the walk? Looks like Beehive Falls Car Park is only a car park, but maybe there's room for a couple of tents there? Troopers Creek is permanently closed but maybe there's still space to camp?

I'll be coming in via Stawell. Looks like there's a campsite at Lake Lonsdale so that could be an option.

Also, any thoughts on whether Longpoint East or Longpoint West is the better campsite on the walk? Looks like there's potential for water near Longpoint West but given how dry it's been maybe it would be wise to carry enough for the whole walk.

Thanks.
Drew

Postby bmak » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 12:20 pm

The car park isn’t suitable as is only just off the road.
I’d start the walk and just camp along the track somewhere.

Heading a bit further south to plantation campground is another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bmak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 12:21 pm

Actually I just saw this one which looks like a good option: https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/park ... ampground2

Still, if anyone has a better idea or thoughts on campsite on the walk itself and water I'd appreciate it.
Drew

Postby Drew » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 12:22 pm

Heading a bit further south to plantation campground is another option.

Thanks bmak - we must have posted simultaneously!
Drew

Postby J M » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 1:18 pm

Both Longpoint East and West campsite aren't particularly interesting, but if I had to choose...maybe east? Personally I'd try and find a nicer spot out of the way somewhere.
Only those who live on the edge can see the view
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes