Mount Tassie Loop

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mount Tassie Loop

Postby bigkev » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 6:04 pm

HI All,

Last Saturday I had the chance to go and do a bit of The Grand Strzelecki Track. This is a community based, longish distance track that came about from funding after the Black Saturday Fires.

DSC_0019.JPG

I walked the Mount Tassie Loop starting and finishing in Balook. This is a slightly unusual walk in that it passes through a fair bit of timber plantation land. I'm no fan of clear felling and walking through timber coupes, so I set off with fairly low expectation on this walk, now I'm not going to try and tell you that it was stunning but it was a lot better than I had feared. The forest in the section along the Duff Sawmill Heritage Trail was particularly good.

DSC_0062.JPG
Traversing the side of Mount Tassie on West Face Track.

DSC_0084.JPG
The view from Mount Tassie

I ended up walking 22.4 kilometres over the day, but I did add a little distance looping down to Corrigan Suspension Bridge in Tarra-Bulga. If anyone is looking for a slightly different type of walk with some views, a couple of waterfalls and some stunning cool temperate rainforest, then this is a walk worth considering. The Grand Strzelecki Track friends group sell the excellent topos online http://www.grandstrzeleckitrack.org.au/

Lastly, if you want to check out a few more photos I've done a blog post http://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot. ... lecki.html

DSC_0109.JPG
The forest on the Duff Sawmill Heritage Trail section was beautiful

DSC_0113.JPG
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Mount Tassie Loop

Postby neilmny » Tue 22 Aug, 2017 7:27 am

Another goodun' Kev. Thanks for posting.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MickyB » Tue 22 Aug, 2017 5:11 pm

Nice write up bigkev.
I have walked part of this loop. I found some sections nice but I don't think I'd do it again. I think the sections through Tarra Bulga are a lot nicer.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby bigkev » Tue 22 Aug, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks for checking out the post guys. It's certainly unusual to walk through such a large amount of timber plantation land on a bushwalk. Tarra-Bulga is a stunning little national park Micky, I'll probably get down there again and do the other loops that largely stay within the park eventually. Cheers Kevin
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 22 Aug, 2017 6:29 pm

The GST is worth doing end to end, including the loops. There are some lovely forest sections.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby bigkev » Tue 22 Aug, 2017 8:24 pm

north-north-west wrote:The GST is worth doing end to end, including the loops. There are some lovely forest sections.

I'll finish the whole thing eventually NNW, it's less than 2 months now until I head out on the AAWT so I'm kinda focussing on that at the moment (and trying to sort out work seeing I'll be gone for 6 weeks :shock: ) You're spot on in regards to the forests in the Strzelecki Ranges, there are some stunning old growth Mountain Ash as well as the rainforest sections. Cheers Kevin
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Wed 17 Jan, 2018 11:19 am

I think the sections through Tarra Bulga are a lot nicer.

The GST is worth doing end to end, including the loops. There are some lovely forest sections.

I'm looking for some ideas for the Jan 26 long weekend. Friends aren't keen on the long drive to the high country so I'm trying to think outside the box. Looking at the map of the GST it looks like a 3 day circuit could be done in a few ways. Maybe starting at Tarra Valley and combining the Tarra Valley and Mt Tassie loops, or the Tarra Valley and Macks Creek loops. I have heard people say that the GST is really better for day walks than for overnighters, but I figure if it's nice enough to bother walking then why not camp as well?

Any other suggestions for which parts are nicest and how to make a 3 day walk work?

Just wondering too, is the track mostly shady? If it's hot then walking in shady, ferny mountain ash forest would be nice.

Thanks
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby MickyB » Wed 17 Jan, 2018 1:54 pm

Drew - PM sent
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Drew » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 10:12 am

40 degrees Sat and Sun means no walking anywhere for me! :( Except perhaps into some large body of water somewhere.
Drew

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes