Dibbin Hut / Mt Loch - Easter 2016

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Dibbin Hut / Mt Loch - Easter 2016

Postby akl168 » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 3:18 pm

Cowabunga dude, the Cobungra River with its healthy flow and “irhythmic” burbling put us right to sleep. Any sleep deficits from the days before were easily erased as we slept the sleep of the dead for 10 straight hours!

With errands to run on either end of the long Easter weekend, we gratefully packed the car and rolled out at 0-dark hundred for a quick overnighter during the two in-between days. We decided to do and out-and-back from the Mt Loch car park near Mt Hotham, to Dibbin hut and back. These drives out to the Alpine National park seem to get longer, as I get less young. In any case, we pulled into a full parking lot. Very quickly, we were soon walking up the gravel track towards the ski lift machinery. The bright sunny day was perfect for walking, we weren’t too hot or too cold. A number of day hikers were also out heading to Mt Loch. At the intersection, we stayed on the AAWT, walking by the back of one of the ski lift terminals, standing by silently on this beautiful autumnal day. Down towards the open plains, we had great views all around us, even the Mt Hotham Alpine Village. With the bright blue skies, the alpine village, the open meadows, it felt like we were walking into one of those European postcards. If I imagined hard enough, maybe I could picture those vertiginous peaks. Alas, back in the real world, we continued on towards Derrick Hut.

Dibbins01.JPG
Following the ski poles to Derrick Hut

Derrick Hut was a great stop for a snack and water. A number of day hikers had made it out here and were headed back to their cars. A number of other overnight walkers were also here, peeking into the huts, lazing about on the sunny grassy areas. The outdoors is like this giant capacitor of positive energy. By Derrick Hut, any residual stress from work or the drive, had truly dissipated, replaced with feelings of calm and serenity. I realize that I’m preaching to the converted here, but this is one of the reasons why my wife and I take our kids out so much. If they don’t feel connected to the outdoors, they wouldn’t feel compelled to fight for its protection in the future. Maybe it sounds simplistic, but I’m a simple person, so back on my back goes my pack, and onwards we walk on the track.

Dibbins02.JPG
Still on the AAWT, not lost yet...

The kilometre or so after Derrick Hut is now one of my favorite trail sections ever. It is ever so slightly downhill, staying on Swindlers Spur, the trail is a cushiony hard pack. Almost like walking on one of those red cushiony 400 metre oval tracks. Floating past countless Snow Gums, with insects chirping away in the grass on both sides of the trail - in stereo! As we started descending, the Snow Gums started standing more upright. Soon we were cramped into a green tunnel of sorts, and with the sunny windless day, it felt quite warm in there. With about 1 kay and a half to go, we started descending in earnest, dropping from about 1700m to about 1360m! Quads, possibly the lack of them, and walking sticks, were all put to good use. The occasionally shady and flat spots on the trail were eagerly sought out for a thankful rest and water. The Cobungra Valley flitted in and out of view, but oh so far down still. But just like enduring a school exam we forgot to study for (maybe it was just me that forgot), the torture eventually ended and we found ourselves at an intersection on flat ground, not too far away from Dibbin Hut.

Dibbins04.jpg
Dibbin Hut

Once at the plains, it didn’t take us long to notice the multitude of tents. Looking right past the footbridge over the Cobungra, we could see a number of tents at the platforms and one tent nestled amongst the trees next to the river. Everyone had the same plan! There is actually a large grassy area south of the river, probably the size of two football fields. The grassy area was pretty much covered with huge lumps of grass that made walking difficult, let alone trying to pitch a tent. Although the next morning, I did see 3 tents successfully squeezed in somehow at various spots in this grassy garden. Once past the footbridge and past the outhouse, we lucked out and found a flat spot large enough for our two tents. The tents went up, and a brew was put on, aahhh. The large group at the platforms had a large smoky fire going. Thankfully we were not that close and it wasn’t windy so the smoke just went up. At one point after dinner, there were four separate smoke funnels going up all around the Dibbin Hut plains. Photoshop in some large broken ski machinery bits and we could have been part of post apocalyptic war of the worlds type movie set.

Dibbins04.jpg
Cobungra River near Dibbin Hut

Once the coffee had recharged our batteries, we went to explore the handsome Dibbin Hut with its loft and cute windows, and the river where we collected some water for dinner. We met a family of 5, who also had kids around the ages of our kids, and a great chat regarding various other good walks to do with kids. During a less busy period, the Cobungra Valley would be a great place to spend a night or two. Dinner was had, and amazingly, it was soon time to crank up the stove for breakfast. We had gone to bed with clear skies but awoke to a misty morning. Sufficiently fueled, we headed up the stairmaster. Possibly due to the good sleep and oats for breakfast, and it immediately being the first kilometre and a half, but going back up the stairmaster didn’t feel half as bad as descending the day before. At about the 1500 to 1600m mark, we walked through the thickest parts of the mist. We were definitely walking through a cloud, we could feel droplets on our face and arms as we progressed forward. What had been vivid hues of green and brown just the previous day was now replaced by various shades of gray. Other than ants, and the four of us, no other creatures seemed to be out that morning. Even the dew soaked spider webs we ran across were empty. “Spidey has gone to the big screen”, a friend later remarked when she saw the picture my wife posted on Facebook.

Once again we used Derrick Hut as a stopping point and fired our stove up for some morning tea. We had the hut to ourselves and made ourselves at home in the tidy interior. But the unreal world was beckoning, so we bolted the front door shut and carried on. The hut was also where the clouds stopped, every step from thereon was in bright sunshine. We looked back towards Cobungra Valley and could see the thick clouds from whence we came. Dumping our packs behind the metal green trail marker at the intersection, we took the quick detour up to Mt Loch. There is a geocache on at Mt Loch called “360 on Mt Loch”, and up there, we truly were rewarded with 360 degree views. After a few pictures with Feathertop as the backdrop, we were soon accosted with music. A few day hikers had made it up to this scenic spot too, but also bringing with them music loudly blaring from a portable speaker. Not wanting to partake of a tiny speaker distorting some Top 40 tune, we headed back down the trail towards our car for the drive home.

Dibbins05.jpg
Come for a walk, see the glorious views they said...

As mentioned earlier, I think this would be a great place to spend a night, perhaps two. Navigation is straightforward, we brought the SV Bogong map but didn’t look at it. On the higher parts you could get smashed by the weather, but on the whole it is straightforward walking. The camping spots are quite spread out. A good flowing stream, lots of open spaces and spots for your tent, a hut for the kids to play and explore, and a long drop that so new it’s still clean and smells of wood!
akl168
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Dibbin Hut / Mt Loch - Easter 2016

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 7:11 pm

Great report and Dibbins is on my list of must do one day as it features in an episode of "A River Somewhere" and is somewhat of a pilgrimmage for flyfishers who are a devotee of the series.
A couple of weeks back I got very close on 3 occasions getting almost to Blairs just north,the Cobungra below Swindlers Gap just south and near Tawonga huts to the east.I pretty well circled it.One day I will fish Dibbins.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby akl168 » Fri 01 Apr, 2016 5:25 am

MFF - Thanks for the kind comments. I had to look up "A River Somewhere", and that looks interesting, I may have to watch a few episodes. Hope you make it to Dibbins soon.
akl168
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby neilmny » Fri 01 Apr, 2016 9:25 am

Good report and some nice photos akl168, my favorite is the track through the fog.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Fri 01 Apr, 2016 10:05 am

The old baggy pants AWT sign! At least there's the odd one left. :)
Funny how time stops in memories. Never seen anyone else camping at Dibbins when I've been there, never thought there'd be tent platforms one day.
Thanks for posting, akl.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Fri 01 Apr, 2016 3:54 pm

akl168 wrote:MFF - Thanks for the kind comments. I had to look up "A River Somewhere", and that looks interesting, I may have to watch a few episodes. Hope you make it to Dibbins soon.

Not overly stressed about missing out on Dibbins this time as we hiked,camped and fished some magnificent waters and if I really wanted to do it I would have just walked over a hill or 2 more.
ARS is an iconic series for flyfishers and the 2 episodes on the high country are called "Cobungra" and "Howqua".Dibbins is obviously on the Cobungra episode and they hike in to Ritchies on the Howqua episode.
Search "A river somewhere" on youtube and they are the first 2 that come up.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 01 Apr, 2016 6:25 pm

If I am doing an overnighter at Dibbin's hut starting from the Mt . Loch car park then I usually return via machinery spur for some proper uphill torture. Thus The Mt . Loch circuit is usually walked in an anti clockwise direction. I would like to do that in snow season.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes