Bogong High Plains Jan 2014

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Bogong High Plains Jan 2014

Postby Suresh » Sun 05 Jan, 2014 9:28 am

I had my usual January walks holiday in the Bogong High Plains, last year cut dramatically short when we were caught out by the Harrietville fire. We were out on Mt Fainter when we saw it start and had to hot foot it all the way back and had to leave the plains that day.
The fires have not gone through the areas that we walked, the one that concerned me was the walk from Pretty Valley to Hotham. Excellent walk, though it is a crime of major proportions the vandalism by loggers on the lower parts of the walk.
The wildflowers are just starting to get going, but already huge amounts of colour.
Get out there and enjoy the walks before the loggers stuff it up again (The Harrietville fire started in a logging coupe/plantation)

The removal of cattle has dramatically improved the environment up there. Few flies now, and they are mainly where the horse riders go through, and the bogs continue to get better each year.
Suresh
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA, Diamond Valley Bushwalking Club
Region: Victoria

Re: Bogong High Plains Jan 2014

Postby chops38 » Sun 05 Jan, 2014 8:52 pm

Nice one Suresh.
I'm heading across to the high plains from Hotham in a couple of weeks. Staying at Young's Hut and then over to Featherop.
Can you tell me if the spring is running at Young's?
Cheers
chops38
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Suresh » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 9:25 am

Sorry, I did not visit Youngs hut.
The plains are very dry however, many of the bogs are dry and very little flowing on the small waterways.
Suresh
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA, Diamond Valley Bushwalking Club

Postby wilray » Sat 18 Jan, 2014 3:10 pm

Hi to anyone, :P i am doing a walk from Pretty Vallyey pondage across to Youngs hut, then out to Macnamara's Hut, dinner plain, next weekend; was just wondering if anyone has been out there at all. I have been to Youngs many times but never to Macnamara's, and the map says the track is not clear to Macs, can anyone give me some clues to finding the track and how difficult it is to follow, and yes an answer to whether there is still water running at Youngs or anywhere on the track to Macnamara hut. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Willy
wilray
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes