anyone done viking recently....

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

anyone done viking recently....

Postby waggy » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 5:45 pm

i was thinking of doing viking via mt speculation and the fwd track back to the car park near mac hut.
anyone doe this or like this recently and if so how is the track or lack there of?
cheers kids.
ps-thinking i might get a one planet goondie 1...should i or shouldn't i. and if no, then what??
waggy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: anyone done viking recently....

Postby icefest » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 8:25 pm

How soon are you planning to go? Some roads are shut: http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... /Map8B.pdf

That also means few people were up there in the past 4 months
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby waggy » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 4:45 am

Over cup weekend. Thanks for the link.
waggy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CDaniels » Sun 20 Oct, 2013 10:30 am

Hi Waggy, I did Viking circuit at the end of January this year. Not sure if that counts as recent.

When I walked it:
- The path from Catherine saddle up to Mt Despair summit was pretty indistinct.
- From Mt Despair to Razor turnoff was actually a little clearer as following the ridge was the goal. The thick regrowth in Viking Saddle wasn't an issue as a path had been cleared from the Razor turnoff all the way through to the saddle camping area. Without that trackwork it would have been a very annoying section. Pretty much no water at the saddle at that time (found a puddle about 200m to the north east), but you'd think there'd be more at this time of year.
- From South Viking Summit down to Wonangatta I followed the ridge as described in John Chapman's notes, lost the track somewhere near the bottom and ended up 500m north of the campsite. Very thick and scrubby down near the wonangatta river if you're not on the right track.
- From the Wonangatta River campsite it's fairly straightforward back up to the Mac Springs carpark. If you leave the Zeka Spur 4WD track after several km and turnoff to the old road described in John Chapman's notes, the old road is very indistinct and you'll be doing well to follow it. Not too much of an issue though as you're heading up the spur, not down.
CDaniels
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby waggy » Tue 22 Oct, 2013 4:40 pm

Thanks buddy. Great update. What book is chappys notes on this track in? Love your work. Thanks again
waggy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CDaniels » Wed 23 Oct, 2013 5:58 am

No worries,

notes are in...

http://www.john.chapman.name/pub-aus.html

have a good trip
CDaniels
Nothofagus cunninghamii