Feathertop Winter Circuit

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Feathertop Winter Circuit

Postby andrewbish » Thu 11 Oct, 2012 11:12 pm

I spent 4 days snow-shoeing around Mt Feathertop at the end of August. It's a beautiful area and I was lucky to get some good weather.
I have put them into a blog post.
Andrew
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Feathertop Winter Circuit

Postby dplanet » Fri 12 Oct, 2012 3:13 pm

Remind me of tramps in NZ and bushwalks in Tasmania. Walked in darkness, stayed in back-country huts and in tents fighting against the stormy winds. Well written and nice photos. Thank you.
dplanet

Postby Kinsayder » Fri 12 Oct, 2012 3:30 pm

Great blog as usual, Andrew. I'm housebound until around March next year (we just had another baby two weeks ago and wouldn't feel right in buggering off until a few months have passed, at least) but have been thinking about a similar walk. I was considering doing Mt Loch Carpark to Blairs (or Dibbins) then over the Diamantina to Fed Hut and along the Razorback, back to Hotham. So your blog was a great read (some great pictures too). Thanks!
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewbish » Fri 12 Oct, 2012 10:58 pm

Kinsayder wrote:Great blog as usual, Andrew. I'm housebound until around March next year (we just had another baby two weeks ago and wouldn't feel right in buggering off until a few months have passed, at least) but have been thinking about a similar walk. I was considering doing Mt Loch Carpark to Blairs (or Dibbins) then over the Diamantina to Fed Hut and along the Razorback, back to Hotham. So your blog was a great read (some great pictures too). Thanks!

Thanks, Kinsayder

Ascending Diamantina Spur in March will be fine, but not later when there's snow - ughhhh
andrewbish

Postby andrewbish » Fri 12 Oct, 2012 11:00 pm

dplanet wrote:Remind me of tramps in NZ and bushwalks in Tasmania. Walked in darkness, stayed in back-country huts and in tents fighting against the stormy winds. Well written and nice photos. Thank you.

Thanks, dplanet

I will be in the Arthur's Pass region in Feb - have you walked there?
andrewbish

Postby dplanet » Sat 13 Oct, 2012 10:56 pm

From memory, i have. It was on a private trip. A few of us got together years years ago. Enjoyed it. Like NZ; but can't afford now. Resignation from work led to depression, then facing two operations. Thats why i was out of action for a while.
dplanet

Postby Kinsayder » Sun 14 Oct, 2012 6:32 am

dplanet wrote:From memory, i have. It was on a private trip. A few of us got together years years ago. Enjoyed it. Like NZ; but can't afford now. Resignation from work led to depression, then facing two operations. Thats why i was out of action for a while.

Sorry to hear that DPlanet, I everything turns around for you. :D :D :D
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 16 Oct, 2012 5:38 pm

andrewbish wrote:
Kinsayder wrote:Great blog as usual, Andrew. I'm housebound until around March next year (we just had another baby two weeks ago and wouldn't feel right in buggering off until a few months have passed, at least) but have been thinking about a similar walk. I was considering doing Mt Loch Carpark to Blairs (or Dibbins) then over the Diamantina to Fed Hut and along the Razorback, back to Hotham. So your blog was a great read (some great pictures too). Thanks!

Ascending Diamantina Spur in March will be fine, but not later when there's snow - ughhhh

Que? It'll be fine unless it's fogged in, and even then you just keep going uphill until you hit the top of High Knob. It's not the most frequently used track, but it's easy enough to follow.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby andrewbish » Tue 16 Oct, 2012 6:47 pm

north-north-west wrote:
andrewbish wrote:

Que? It'll be fine unless it's fogged in, and even then you just keep going uphill until you hit the top of High Knob. It's not the most frequently used track, but it's easy enough to follow.

NNW - D Spur with deep snow was tough to descend. I would not want to have to go in the opposite direction in the same conditions. - A
andrewbish

Postby north-north-west » Tue 16 Oct, 2012 7:30 pm

I've always found it easier to go up than down in marginal conditions. Less trouble with route finding.

It was frozen pretty solid the only time I've done Diamantina in the snow, so maybe I'm being over optimistic. But it didn't seem any worse than Bon Accord or Quartz Ridge.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes