The Seven Dials circuit

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

The Seven Dials circuit

Postby bigkev » Sat 28 Nov, 2015 7:43 pm

Last weekend I decided to head up to the Grampians and revisit an old favourite, The Seven Dials walk. This walk was written up by John Chapman years ago and indeed I hadn't done the walk in well over ten years, so it was interesting to see what effect the fires and floods have had on the walk. To cut to the chase, the scrub along Long Gully and descending under the Seventh Dial down to Bovine Falls was pretty solid, but the walk down Bovine Creek was superb (although the old track had completely disappeared and I walked the creek bed all the way out to the Grampians Tourist Road). Here's a link to the post I did on my blog about the walk if anyone wants to check it out http://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot. ... -park.html

I walked around 26 kilometres and climbed a bit over 700 metres for the day. I really like this walk, it takes you into a less well visited part of the Grampians and has enough adventure to make it challenging.

DSC_0009.JPG
Initially I picked up a new track, part of the Grampians Peaks Trail

DSC_0045.JPG
The route along the old fire track along Long Gully is almost totally reclaimed by nature.

DSC_0071.JPG
Barney Castle in the middle distance, Long Gully Saddle is below the cliffs.

DSC_0091.JPG
Bovine Falls

DSC_0098.JPG
The late afternoon walk along Bovine Creek was very pretty.

DSC_0119.JPG
Sometimes it was easier just to splash my way through.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes